Statistics on posts, rep, etc.
6.06%
2 votes
Overhauled forum structure
15.15%
5 votes
Something else (specified below)
33 votes. You may not vote on this poll

I'm a little at a loss re: search. In the past, it's been pretty excellent. It degraded, and I rebuilt the search index, and it seemed pretty good again. I've rebuilt the index a few times since, but it doesn't seem to improve as much.

I'll look at rebuilding it again and/or tweaking some of the settings. But, if this potentially clears anything up, the search in the header literally just searches titles. The Advanced Search is the one that lets you search entire posts. Dunno if that suddenly makes sense of it for anyone.
I'm often only searching for threads with a word I know in the title. I rarely search for posts. Search did get worse since I've been here, though.

I dig. If you find a specific example, that might help me debug things. Same goes for everyone: if you find a relatively straightforward title search and can give me the word and show me the thread it's not displaying, please PM me about it.

Hmmm. That might be useful. I wonder if length has something to do with it.

Throw more at me if you find them, though please PM them so this thread can stay about the other stuff.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As far as I know, every search has always needed at least four characters..For example, no TV, three letter wotds, etc.

As far as I know, every search has always needed at least four characters..For example, no TV, three letter wotds, etc.
I just now found that out by testing. I searched for Hof as I know there are many threads with that in the title and yet the search results said 'Sorry no matches'. Maybe the minimum can be lowered from 4 letters to 3?

EDIT: I see Yoda just posted about that while I was typing.

That's interesting. No results for HoF, tons for "Hall." I'll bet length matters.

Don't want search talk to take over this thread, though, so if you guys have any further observations, please PM them to me!

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
That's interesting. No results for HoF, tons for "Hall." I'll bet length matters.

*giggles like a 12 year old*

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
If you have website tips for Yoda, please address him and not me. I was trying to help you as I thought you might appreciate it.

I'm totally appreciative of the help. Honest. You and Camo were probably the most eager to point things out to me when I started asking questions here, so I am and continue to be grateful.

The post was not really meant as a criticism of the site but to offer perspective on possible new user experience and how that new user experience might be a factor in commitment to the site. Er, any site really. But yeah, that's where I was coming from when I pointed to having a dedicated movie-connected discussion thread. Or whatever the original idea was. I just got caught in the weeds, as I often do.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Spent some time working on this the last couple of days, going pretty well. I had the basic programming foundation done a long time ago so it's mostly been searching/sorting and how to lay it out, but I'm reasonably happy with some of the choices, so this should happen sooner rather than later.

I don't want to release it too rough, but I'm going to try really hard not to be a perfectionist about it, too. So I should be releasing something pretty polished already, but I'll be ready and waiting to implement solid feedback if it clearly needs to be tweaked.

I'd like to set a very tentative ETA of sometime in the next week (maybe next weekend at the latest), but I've got a dental appointment on Tuesday, and there's a non-zero chance that's gonna strangle my willpower for a couple of days, so we'll see.

I voted lists, but a close second is to redo some of the forum structuring. But the thing I want the most is for the posts to stop doubling the spaces between paragraphs so I don't have to go back and do it manually.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I think everything looks fine.. I actually can't stand change that is nothing but cosmetic - which usually makes things tough to navigate.. I love the idea of more lists, movies watched, etc... I like the tagging feature, and the "Movie" feature is great, and I hope it grows.

P.S. - It'd be great if you could get the old individual IMDB movie conversations ala other sites..

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I voted lists, but a close second is to redo some of the forum structuring. But the thing I want the most is for the posts to stop doubling the spaces between paragraphs so I don't have to go back and do it manually.

I thought I was the only one. My penchant for font selection was the issue I thought. Or firefox and some setting I don't understand.

"currently editing a post" is usually me removing paragraph spaces.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I vote for "Searchable/sortable log of seen films" but I really wanted "20 favorte films", not 10 in our profile!
Great idea - Top 20 would be great.... I think what most seem to want is any way to spark more MOVIE conversation... I love free speech and all, but taking down that Trump thread (3,500 replies!) was a great thing, as it was being used for....whatever. I've tried to avoid politics, because it only brings out a hundred more responses.

Also answers to Jabba
Well since Yoda is taking suggestions, allow the new guy to start throwing them around like he's entitled to ****.

@Yoda you know what my background is so I understand that some of these are much easier said than imlemented but here goes.

* The double space thing in paragraphs that others mentioned is definitely annoying.
* The tagging (or mention) in users names should be changed to something like @Jabs. I have seen a great implementation of this on a different forum, where it even suggests user names to tag based on what you started typing and on which users you frequently tag. Writing the whole name and then having to highlight it and click the mention button is way too long in comparison.
* The PM structure is awkward AF. Ideally it should be treated like a thread where you can see previous responses by scrolling up. Every message in a separate PM and the pop up notification for a new one (like a spam message) is hard to look at and hard to follow.

* The fact that when you link something, it needs to be broken once you are done in order to continue writing is also in dire need of fixing.
* I've gotten a couple of post comments, and I am still not sure how to view them (open them) there are 3 links in that page: one leads to PMing the user, the other to his profile and the 3rd to the thread the comment was made on.

* As far as new things to be implemented go, lists would be my priority because I am obsessed with them. Being able to create your own lists would be a very cool addition.
* Also, an option to connect your account here to an IMDb profile would be nice. I got a watchlist of about 2500 films in mine and the only way to mark them as seen here is to do it manually and that ain't happening .

Sorry for this rant. It is done in a positive and constructive way and I hope it showed that way.

PS: I am not going to edit this post just to see how annoying the whole double space thing looks.

PPS: Why is a very casual word (literally synonymous to excrement) banned? I think it is harmless and casual enough.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Expanded/upgraded lists area

Statistics on posts, rep, etc

Both of those would be nice.

I've said this before but I'd like to see the score board for the movie reviewers be expanded from the Top 5 to the Top 10 reviewers. It doesn't affect me, I'm just thinking how other reviewers might enjoy being able to make it onto the score board. Might also help spark more reviews here.
This and this.....and this.

Suspect's Reviews

I thought I was the only one. My penchant for font selection was the issue I thought. Or firefox and some setting I don't understand.
Bauhaus 93 would be nice.

* The double space thing in paragraphs that others mentioned is definitely annoying.
I like the way paragraphs look at MoFo, they are easy to read, less space would make them harder to read. How are you guys making paragraphs? In a Word program then pasting into MoFo reply? Or other method? If I hit the the return key once I get this.
New paragraph. If I hit it twice I get what I normally use for space between paragraphs.

Like this.

If you mean the distances between the lines in blue, then the spacing is perfect. Less of a space between paragraphs would be harder to read.

* The tagging (or mention) in users names should be changed to something like @Jabs....Writing the whole name and then having to highlight it and click the mention button is way too long in comparison.
I just type the @ and users name, I've never highlighted and clicked the mention button, it works without doing that. Note: you don't see the active link until your post is actually posted on MoFo. While writing the post it looks like the link doesn't work but it will.

* The PM structure is awkward AF. Ideally it should be treated like a thread where you can see previous responses by scrolling up. Every message in a separate PM and the pop up notification for a new one (like a spam message) is hard to look at and hard to follow.
I find the PM system to work excellent.

* The fact that when you link something, it needs to be broken once you are done in order to continue writing is also in dire need of fixing
. I've never encountered that. Are you using Mobile or Desktop version of MoFo? Are you using a PC or Mobile? Are you composing post at MoFo? or in a Word program, then copying the text here?

* I've gotten a couple of post comments, and I am still not sure how to view them (open them) there are 3 links in that page: one leads to PMing the user, the other to his profile and the 3rd to the thread the comment was made on.
Click the User CP link at top of page.

Well since Yoda is taking suggestions, allow the new guy to start throwing them around like he's entitled to ****.

Can people elaborate on this? I don't have any such problem. My best guess is that this is the WYGIWYG editor, and maybe in Firefox?

* The tagging (or mention) in users names should be changed to something like @Jabs. I have seen a great implementation of this on a different forum, where it even suggests user names to tag based on what you started typing and on which users you frequently tag. Writing the whole name and then having to highlight it and click the mention button is way too long in comparison.
As CR mentioned, you can just type @ and the name; you only need the mention tag if the username has a space, I believe. I agree the autosuggest would be ideal but I'm retrofitting a lot of new stuff onto old software, unfortunately.

I think we used to have this by default, and I can probably bring it back. I think I removed it because PMs were never really meant for long or in-depth discussions where things need to be referred back to, so I opted for simplicity and cleanliness over information. I'm open to switching back, though, particularly if others concur.

* The fact that when you link something, it needs to be broken once you are done in order to continue writing is also in dire need of fixing.
Can't reproduce this. Same thing as above: what's the browser, what type of editor, etc. I'll look into it. Sounds like a pain.

You've already opened them, they just show up on your User CP. They're not supposed to be a full-fledged system, just a quick note. I agree it could be laid out better. It's actually a jury-rigged reputation system (which I don't need because we implemented our own) made to work as just post comments.

* As far as new things to be implemented go, lists would be my priority because I am obsessed with them. Being able to create your own lists would be a very cool addition.
Cool, good to know.

* Also, an option to connect your account here to an IMDb profile would be nice. I got a watchlist of about 2500 films in mine and the only way to mark them as seen here is to do it manually and that ain't happening .
Aye, this is the plan. I was just going to wait until the feature was "out" in some form before looking at import/export scripts. I'm not sure how easy it is, but if IMDB or Letterboxd offer download-your-data options, that'd probably be how I'd do it. If it's at all feasible I'll definitely give it a go.

Sorry for this rant. It is done in a positive and constructive way and I hope it showed that way.
Totally! I welcome it, and I appreciate how constructive it is/was. Keep it coming.

PPS: Why is a very casual word (literally synonymous to excrement) banned? I think it is harmless and casual enough.
Eh, it's a fine line. I have a whole philosophy about this and about how banning curse words (even common ones) actually contributes to overall culture in the long run. I realize that's not for everyone, but it's something I have put a lot of thought into and, I think, has produced pretty good results over time.