Top 5 of Hitchcock

Tools    

01. North By Northwest
02. Notorious
03. Vertigo
04. Rebecca
05. Dial M For Murder

He's probably my favourite director, seen 24 and i'm watching Mr and Mrs. Smith and Lifeboat next week. The top three are all #1, think NBNW is the most fun which is why i have it at #1, Notorious really blew me away when i had no clue it was supposed to be one of his best, Vertigo is just unreal and was the first Hitch i saw along with my mum when i was 9 or something, it's probably her favourite film. Rebecca the novel is pretty bad but the film got to me in an intense way, Dial M is incredibly watchable possibly more than any of his others i've seen which is weird considering it's restricted locationally.

Choosing only the top 5 is exceedingly difficult. The top 10 or 15 would be easier.

1. Vertigo
2. North By Northwest
3. Rear Window
4. Strangers on a Train
5. Shadow of a Doubt

If the first three were in a tie for first place, I'd add Psycho and Notorious.

~Doc

The only one I've seen is North by Northwest, and it's fantastic. I'd honestly be surprised if it wasn't his absolute best.
Vertigo has a good case for being the best film ever made, so I'd check that out next.

I dont know why! I have a soft spot for Rope. So few characters and virtually in a room, but still a gripping movie.

1. Rope
2. North by Northwest.
3. Rebecca
4. Psycho
5. Dial M for Murder

Then Rear Window and Vertigo.

EDIT: Frenzy is also one of my favorites. Although its a little slow, but it sets its own pace.

Di je Karlo?
The only one I've seen is North by Northwest, and it's fantastic. I'd honestly be surprised if it wasn't his absolute best.
Vertigo has a good case for being the best film ever made, so I'd check that out next.
Will do

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Haven't seen all of them, but it would go something like this:

5. Rope
4. Psycho
3. Rear Window
2. Dial M for Murder
1. Vertigo

Since we're on the subject, I read that Shadow of a Doubt, was Hitchcock's personal favorite that he did. Why is that though? I thought it was one of hls lesser movies myself, and was surprised he thinks that's his best.

Since we're on the subject, I read that Shadow of a Doubt, was Hitchcock's personal favorite that he did. Why is that though? I thought it was one of hls lesser movies myself, and was surprised he thinks that's his best.
I read that somewhere myself. But in actual fact Hitchcock said that "Doubt" wasn't his favorite film, but that he liked it for several reasons. One, he believed it was a story that the "plausibles", logicians and psychologists couldn't find anything to complain about. For example, in some of his films people might say, "Well why didn't he just go to the police?" Or, "Why didn't she just leave the room?"

The other reason was that he loved working with Thornton Wilder, who had written the famous play Our Town. In many of Hitch's initial American films he couldn't get the writers he wanted in order to make the best screenplays. Thornton really dug into the narrative with A.H., and the result was memorable. He also enjoyed working with Hume Cronyn, who later collaborated with A.H. on several screenplays or adaptions.

~Doc

Psycho
North by Northwest
Rear Window
Rope
Marnie
After seeing them again, I didn't even care for 3 of them.

My new 5-

Rebecca
Dial M for Murder
Psycho
Marnie
The Birds

I read that somewhere myself. But in actual fact Hitchcock said that "Doubt" wasn't his favorite film, but that he liked it for several reasons. One, he believed it was a story that the "plausibles", logicians and psychologists couldn't find anything to complain about. For example, in some of his films people might say, "Well why didn't he just go to the police?" Or, "Why didn't she just leave the room?"

The other reason was that he loved working with Thornton Wilder, who had written the famous play Our Town. In many of Hitch's initial American films he couldn't get the writers he wanted in order to make the best screenplays. Thornton really dug into the narrative with A.H., and the result was memorable. He also enjoyed working with Hume Cronyn, who later collaborated with A.H. on several screenplays or adaptions.

~Doc
In actual fact Hitchcock did state on several occasions that Shadow of a Doubt was his favorite of his films, and his daughter later confirmed that as well. But anyhow, Shadow of a Doubt is a fantastic film and if someone thinks it's just a minor work by Hitchcock, then I think they haven't really paid attention to it or what the film is doing.

My own top 5 favorites:

Rear Window
North by Northwest
Shadow of a Doubt
Notorious
Frenzy

These are my top 5 favorite Hitch films to watch

Spellbound (1945)
Notorious (1946)
Rear Window (1954)
The Trouble with Harry (1955)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Which is different than what I consider to be the top 5 best films Hitch made.

Keep your station clean - OR I WILL KILL YOU
I've actually only seen 5, planning on watching more throughout the year, but here are the five that I've seen ranked.

1) Vertigo
2) Psycho
3) The Birds
4) Dial M for Murder
5) Rebecca

I watched Rebecca a long time ago, I need to re-watch soon cause I really don't remember anything, I do remember thoroughly enjoying it though.

In actual fact Hitchcock did state on several occasions that Shadow of a Doubt was his favorite of his films, and his daughter later confirmed that as well. But anyhow, Shadow of a Doubt is a fantastic film and if someone thinks it's just a minor work by Hitchcock, then I think they haven't really paid attention to it or what the film is doing.

My own top 5 favorites:

Rear Window
North by Northwest
Shadow of a Doubt
Notorious
Frenzy
Well I don't think Shadow of a Doubt is a bad film at all, I just think it's a good hitchcock film as oppose to a great one. I mean I thought he would have picked a movie of his that has a story that pushes the suspense and drama more, where as Shadow of a Doubt is a really odd good, but not great choice.

It would be like Scorsese saying that his favorite movie he did was Cape Fear or The Color of Money, or Steven Spielberg saying that his favorite movie he did was Always or War Horse. As oppose to a bigger, more epic movie that they did, if that makes sense.

Well I don't think Shadow of a Doubt is a bad film at all, I just think it's a good hitchcock film as oppose to a great one. I mean I thought he would have picked a movie of his that has a story that pushes the suspense and drama more, where as Shadow of a Doubt is a really odd good, but not great choice.

It would be like Scorsese saying that his favorite movie he did was Cape Fear or The Color of Money, or Steven Spielberg saying that his favorite movie he did was Always or War Horse. As oppose to a bigger, more epic movie that they did, if that makes sense.
No, I think it'd be more like Scorsese saying The King of Comedy or Spielberg saying A.I. were their favorites. In other words a lesser known film that nonetheless has a lot of personal meaning to the director.

I see what you're saying, though, but I still say there's a lot more to Shadow of a Doubt than you're appreciating. A couple things about Shadow that should be noted: It was one of Hitchcock's few films that really makes great use of location, as opposed to the studio. It's the type of film where the audience gets to hang out with these characters and really get to know them, and isn't just concerned with plotting. It makes great use of dark humor. And of course, the writing is great, the cast is great, the pacing is great...it's just great. I also love a lot of the really wicked dialogue in it:

You think you know something, don't you? You think you're the clever little girl who knows something. There's so much you don't know, so much. What do you know, really? You're just an ordinary little girl, living in an ordinary little town. You wake up every morning of your life and you know perfectly well that there's nothing in the world to trouble you. You go through your ordinary little day, and at night you sleep your untroubled ordinary little sleep, filled with peaceful stupid dreams. And I brought you nightmares. Or did I? Or was it a silly, inexpert little lie? You live in a dream. You're a sleepwalker, blind. How do you know what the world is like? Do you know the world is a foul sty? Do you know, if you rip off the fronts of houses, you'd find swine? The world's a hell. What does it matter what happens in it?
Uncle Charlie: The cities are full of women, middle-aged widows, husbands, dead, husbands who've spent their lives making fortunes, working and working. And then they die and leave their money to their wives, their silly wives. And what do the wives do, these useless women? You see them in the hotels, the best hotels, every day by the thousands, drinking the money, eating the money, losing the money at bridge, playing all day and all night, smelling of money, proud of their jewelry but of nothing else, horrible, faded, fat, greedy women...
Charlie
: They're alive! They're human beings!
Uncle Charlie
: Are they? Are they, Charlie? Are they human or are they fat wheezing animals, hmm? And what happens to animals when they get too fat and too old?
Man, I could quote the dialogue all day. It's so perfect.