Best Hijack/Robbery Flicks

Tools    

i just watched the original Taking of Pelham 1,2,3 [1974] and its an absolute gem. but the best of these kind of movies........

I gotta give it to Heat [1995]

The KILLING
1956 - Stanley Kubrick

This is the best of the best heist flicks in my book. Told with a non-linear narrative and omniscient narator, a small band of Noir losers led by Sterling Hayden try to rip-off a racetrack. One of the best endings ever (damn dog).

Lots of other good to great ones, including (in no particular order) The Anderson Tapes (1971), Bob the Gambler (1955) and its re-make The Good Thief (2002), Rififi (1955), Dog Day Afternoon (1975), The Asphalt Jungle (1950), Heat (1995), Harry & Walter Go To New York (1976), Quick Change (1990), The Hot Rock (1972), Topkapi (1964), Thunderbolt & Lightfoot (1974), Kelly's Heroes (1970), The Friends of Eddie Coyle (1973), The Brink's Job (1979), How to Steal a Million (1966), Charley Varrick (1973), Sexy Beast (2000), Bottle Rocket (1996), the original The Italian Job (1969) and Die Hard (1988).
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I dont believe in best. I just think there are watchables and not watchables.

I liked
Con Air
Reservoid dogs

The dark knight made in 2008 is best movie ever since.

Other movie:
United 93 film
Flight 93 film

United 93 and Flight 93 is same title.

I'm going with Heat also..........DeNiro and Pacino together is hard to beat.

The KILLING
1956 - Stanley Kubrick

This is the best of the best heist flicks in my book. Told with a non-linear narrative and omniscient narator, a small band of Noir losers led by Sterling Hayden try to rip-off a racetrack. One of the best endings ever (damn dog).
Gotta go with Pike on this one: When it comes to heist films, The Killing and The Asphalt Jungle are at the top of the list, although I would give Jungle a slight edge--it just had certain elements and a cast I really like. Oddly enough, both starred Sterling Hayden, not one to make many lists of best actors but exceptionally good in these parts.

I also give top marks to High Sierra (1941) with Bogart and Ida Lupino, which was remade in 1955 as I Died a Thousand Times, with Jack Palance and Shelly Winters in the leading roles, and also as a Western, Colorado Territory, with Joel McCrae. Although Bogart's character was named Roy Earle in that film, he was doing a Dillinger impression that could teach Johnny Depp a thing or two.

It's important to note The Killing, Asphalt Jungle, and High Sierra were based on very good books to begin with. Both Sierra and Jungle were written by W.R. Burnett, an influential novelist and screen writer who also wrote the book Little Ceasar and, later, Dirty Harry. John Huston directed both Jungle and Sierra and co-wrote the scripts, all of which explain why those films are so damn good.

I'm also fond of Thief (1981) with James Caan as one of the most hard-nosed and violent crooks ever. Another good heist film was the French-made Any Number Can Win in 1963 with Jean Gabin and Alain Delon.

Bonnie and Clyde

Thelma and Louise

Cops and Robbers

Dog Day Afternoon

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
United 93, already mentioned, is obviously the best "hijack film" ever made. Intense, scary, disturbing and heartbreaking.

Hijacks (planes, bldgs, buses, etc): Air Force One, Die Hard
Robberies: Heat, Dog Day Afternoon, Inside Man
Heists: Italian Job, Ocean's Eleven, Entrapment