The Movie "In & Out" Seems Sooo Old Just 20 years or so after

Tools    

Very interested to get all your takes on this.. I live in the NorthEast so maybe that affects everything..

But after watching "In&Out" With Kevin Kline on cable just now made me think that a movie with so much "tension" and "awkwardness" relating to human sexuality, and specifically being gay or bisexual or anywhere else on the spectrum (transient homo-eroticness, etc) would not be as popular these days..

Am I wrong? it seems to me like just in the last 15 years , for too many reasons to recite, society in general, led by movies, and musicians has soooooo mellowed on this topic, and soo accepted the dynamic non-rigid state of human sexuality, that movies like this , while being perfectly charming, wouldn't have any mass appeal because the tension and taboo ness just doesn't exist in the same amounts..

I think it depends on where you live. But I can't see a movie like that being made now.

On a side note: I didn't care much for it because it seemed initially to poke fun at stereotypes for gays but later reinforces them with its conclusion. It laughs at the idea that Kevin Kline's character "must" be gay because he's neat, likes poetry and dancing. But then it does a 360 by revealing Kline's character is gay and was just in denial. There is the subplot about his not having sex with his fiance but that just convinced me he didn't want to commit to her. Tom Selleck, cast as a gay reporter, could have shown a gay who doesn't fit stereotypes but is still a little too stereotypical to me.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I thought it was a really charming film about the taboo topic at the time but I agree that things have opened up a lot. I remember an aussie comedy back then with Russell Crowe playing a gay son-the sum of us. I think it would still work today but there is quite a barrage of divirsity films at the moment which causes mayhem on the net. I like it but a lot of people don't.

That's a really lovely film if you're a Russell fan.

. Duplicate

I thought it was a really charming film about the taboo topic at the time but I agree that things have opened up a lot. I remember an aussie comedy back then with Russell Crowe playing a gay son-the sum of us. I think it would still work today but there is quite a barrage of diviversity films at the moment which causes mayhem on the net. I like it but a lot of people don't.

I think it is a great film even if you are not a Rus fan

I thought it was a really charming film about the taboo topic at the time but I agree that things have opened up a lot. I remember an aussie comedy back then with Russell Crowe playing a gay son-the sum of us. I think it would still work today but there is quite a barrage of diviversity films at the moment which causes mayhem on the net. I like it but a lot of people don't.

I think it is a great film even if you are not a Rus fan
HI nebbit. Yes it is, isn't it. I think aussie film makers do that genre really well.

Hehe yea I remember that movie. I remember the Dad had a nice warm relationship with his son no? i liked that actor's jobs particularly i think..

Hehe yea I remember that movie. I remember the Dad had a nice warm relationship with his son no? i liked that actor's jobs particularly i think..
Thats the one. Jack Nicholson, a very well known aussie actor.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Are you sure In & Out wouldn't work if it came out today? A lot comedies don't mind making fun of stereotypes still and don't mind being edgy. I mean they would still have to set the comedy back in the 90s though, cause I don't think you can fire a school teacher for being gay today, compared to back then.