30's Recommendations

Tools    

That trailer put a smile on my face
I love how
WARNING: "Gold Diggers" spoilers below
Trixie and the old dude's relationship is just something that happens. They don't dwell on his age or appearance or anything, they just grow to like each other then end up happily married. That story was very heartwarming even though it was the least focused on.

Yeah I remember you loving that so its on my watch list from then. Looks great. Thanks for the recommendations, they all sound like something I'll enjoy. I've seen Wellman's The Public Enemy which could well feature on my list.
Yeah i've seen The Public Enemy too, forgot about that since i watched that a while ago and i watched the other four in one week. I quite liked that but i think i was a bit burnt out on Cagney gangster films when i watched it as i had just watched Angels With Dirty Faces, The Roaring Twenties and Dead End before it. I'd have it above Dead End and below the other two personally. Angels With Dirty Faces is incredibly dark and depressing too,
WARNING: "Angels with dirty faces" spoilers below
it would be more depressing than I Am A Fugitive for me if it didn't have a hopeful ending.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The old man in GD33 was Guy Kibbee who was pretty big in the 30s. You saw him in Captain Blood too, as well as his being in all the big WB musicals of the early 30s and a few Capras.

You saw him in Captain Blood too,
OMG! I just took it as i had never seen him in anything else that's nuts that i saw him in that a few days earlier and didn't realize. I've definitely got so many people mixed up during this decade, especially actresses. I think 30's films followed in-styles rigorously coz in all the films in the early 30's the women have that shortish kind of bobcut thing then later in the decade, long often tied up hair is constant. I have no idea if those were the styles at the time but that's something i've noticed about Hollywood women in the 30's films i've watched and it feels like there was some consultant for the studios reporting on the latest trends. Although Hollywood of course set many of the fashion trends then in a larger way than now so who knows what i'm even talking about.

I don't actually wear pants.
Is that a worthwhile Hitch then? I've always heard it called one of his worst and Hitch himself said he didn't like it.
It's rather hit-or-miss. I know it isn't a popular Hitchcock film, but I did enjoy it.

My favourite 30s films are:
TRouble in Paradise (1932). SO funny, with everyone in it absolutely perfect.
la Kermesse Heroique (1935). period comedy set in Flanders, so funny.
the goose and the Gander (1935). everyone turns out to be an imposter.
FIrst A Girl (1935). A girl pretending to be a boy pretending to be a girl.
GOod Morning, Boys! (1937). WIll Hay as a very dodgy schoolmaster.
ASk A Policeman (1939). WIll Hay as a policeman creating chaos with Graham Moffat and Moore Marriott.

I'm seriously lacking in 30's films. If anyone has any recommendations for good horror or dark themed films it would be much appreciated?!
I'm a big fan of Doctor X. Very stylish with fun mad scientists.
Svengali is really good, but not really horror-ish as advertised.
I think Son of Frankenstein is fun and underrated too, if you like the weird expressionistic sets. It has my favorite Lugosi performance.
The Invisible Ray is pretty good too; also w/ Karloff and Lugosi.

... and somewhat more well known, but I also love Vampyr and the '39 Hound of the Baskervilles.

Unregistered User
I'm a big fan of Doctor X. Very stylish with fun mad scientists.
Svengali is really good, but not really horror-ish as advertised.
I think Son of Frankenstein is fun and underrated too, if you like the weird expressionistic sets. It has my favorite Lugosi performance.
The Invisible Ray is pretty good too; also w/ Karloff and Lugosi.

... and somewhat more well known, but I also love Vampyr and the '39 Hound of the Baskervilles.

Thanks mate.

Is that a worthwhile Hitch then? I've always heard it called one of his worst and Hitch himself said he didn't like it.
[Number Seventeen (1932)] Hitchcock referred to it as "a disaster". But he blamed his carelessness-- that he had not stepped back to look at the entirety of the movie. The film had been assigned to him by British International, as opposed to one he would have chosen himself. Reportedly it did have a pretty good chase scene for the day, mostly accomplished with miniatures. The film ran about an hour. I'm not sure I ever saw it.

~Doc

I thought it was awful, the worst I’ve seen from him

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Here's my 30s watchlist. I obviously won't manage to watch 'em all, but I have doubts whether any of them will make my list.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Monkey Business (McLeod,1931)
I first came across Marx Brothers around 2013 when I watched Duck Soup, which instantly became my favorite comedy and remains such to this day. I've enjoyed many other laughs through their other films- Horse Feathers, Night at The Opera, A Night in Casablanca, Animal Crackers, Coconuts, but Monkey Business is the next best thing. Jam packed with laughs- Grucho is at his best and the puppet stunt with Harpo had me dying. Even the side story with Zeppo was decent enough when surrounded by the other antics. 2nd best Marx Brothers film
Not as highly regarded as atleast 3 of their 30s films, but I definitely recommend not skipping this one if you're going through the Marx Bros filmography

I'm going to be getting a filmstruck account to watch some of the Criterion releases from the 1930s, any recs?

Definitely going to start with Modern Times and Boudu Saved from Drowning

I'm going to be getting a filmstruck account to watch some of the Criterion releases from the 1930s, any recs?

Definitely going to start with Modern Times and Boudu Saved from Drowning
I don't have a specific recommendation, but if you like 30s comedy trying checking some movies from the other big names in comedy.