My Favorite Robin Williams Performances

Tools    

I'm still in denial about the fact that he's gone...a razor sharp comic mind that moved at unparalleled speed. He actually began studying theater at Julliard, but the confines of Julliard were choking him so he started performing in small New York clubs until he was discovered by someone from ABC who thought he would be perfect for a guest starring role on the ABC sitcom Happy Days, playing an alien named Mork. Williams was so funny on this episode that ABC created a series based on the character called Mork and Mindy that ran for four seasons. During the run of the series, Williams made his film debut in a forgettable comedy called Can I Do It Til Need Glasses?, but officially became a star when Robert Altman cast him in the title role of his film Popeye. Though he was most famous for making people laugh, Williams eventually proved to be one of the most versatile actors in the business. He built up an impressive resume of film and television credits that spanned almost four decades. His work earned him four Oscar nominations, one Oscar, six Golden Globes, and two Emmys. He left us on August 11, 2014 without saying goodbye but leaving an unmatched legacy of work. As always, this list is my opinion and my opinion only...this is a list of my favorite performances by the late great show business icon, Robin Williams:

he is great men,

One of a kind, been a fan since 'Nano, nano'.
Some of my favorite RW performances:
  • Mork & Mindy
  • Dead Poets Society
  • One Hour Photo
  • Mrs. Doubtfire
  • Good Will Hunting
  • Awakenings
  • Goodmorning Vietnam

Leslie Zevo, Toys

Williams made this film seem a lot better than it is playing a military general who inherits a toy company.

Teddy Roosevelt, Night at the Museum

Williams stole the show as a wax figure of our 26th President come to life.

Mel, Deconstructing Harry

Robin made the most of this minor role in this Woody Allen all-star comedy as an actor who's "out of focus."

Dale Putley, Father's Day

Williams was the best thing about this terrible movie about a suicidal writer who is contacted by an ex (Natassia Kinski) to assist in searching for her missing son by telling him that he's the father.

Jack Powell, Jack

In this gimmicky comedy incredibly directed by Francis Ford Copola, Williams plays a boy suffering from an unusual aging disorder that has him entering the 5th grade with the body of a 40 year old man.

Dr. Kosevich, Nine Months

Robin made the most of this small role as the doctor to an unmarried woman in a committed relationship played by Julianne Moore.

Himself, Live at the Met

OK, it's not a movie character, per se, but it's still a brilliant performance. Whether he's making fun of Ronald Reagan or the venue, Williams had me on the floor for this entire performance.

Professor Phillip Brainerd, Flubber

Williams played it relatively straight in this remake of the Disney classic The Absent-Minded-Professor, playing a college professor who invents a special rubbery substance that turns out to have magical properties.

Jack Dundee, The Best of Times

Robin was actually very funny in this 1986 comedy playing a guy who is obsessed with a game-losing fumble he made in high school who talks his BFF/quarterback (Kurt Russell) and the rest of his teammates into having a rematch with the team that beat them back in 1972.

Merrit Rook, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Again, not a movie character, but a brilliant performance that earned Williams an Emmy nomination. Borrowing from the 2013 movie Compliance, Robin plays a man accused of impersonating a police officer over a telephone and telling a fast food manager to sexually assault an employee is found not guilty, and as a result becomes a vocal crusader telling other people to defy authority figures.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Despite Jack being dumb and juvenile. There are some really sad moments that one must acknowledge. Anything with the parents (Diane Lane rocks) and of course the ending when they graduate and he is an old man.

Suspect's Reviews

Jack Holden, Shrink

Robin turned in a flashy performance in this minor role as an actor seeing a celebrity shrink (Kevin Spacey) because he thinks he's a sex addict.

Peter Banning, Hook

Williams plays an adult Peter Pan who must return to Neverland when Captain Hook (Dustin Hoffman) kidnaps his children.

Adrian Cronauer, Good Morning Vietnam

\

Williams received an Oscar nomination for playing the real-kife DJ who shook things up when he was assigned to a radio station in Vietnam.

Vladimir Ivanoff, Moscow on the Hudson

Williams gave one of his richest performances as a Russian musician who decides to defect in the middle of Bloomingdale's.

Chris Nielsen, What Dreams May Come

Williams is quite moving in this fantasy as a man who dies in a car accident and goes to heaven. His wife (Annabella Sciorra) later commits suicide but she goes to hell and Chris decides to descend into hell to save her.