Movie Tab II

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Repulsion (1965) -
Deneuve loosens her screws completely.

Autumn Sonata (1978) -
And for the first time, Bergman disappoints. The acting is solid, but I look for so much more in a film. And call me a heartless bastard but I couldn't care less for the characters. Honestly.

Lilya 4-Ever (2002) -
Eh.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Roustabout (John Rich, 1964)

Seance: The Summoning (Alex Wright, 2011)

The Formula (John G. Avildsen, 1980)
+
The Teahouse of the August Moon (Daniel Mann, 1956)

In post-WWII Okinawa, con man/interpreter Marlon Brando helps American captain Glenn Ford indoctrinate the citizens in democracy, but it actually turns out it’s the Americans who are being indoctrinated.
Sayonara (Joshua Logan, 1957)
+
The Greatest Movie Ever Sold (Morgan Spurlock, 2011)

Punk Vacation (Stanley Lewis, 1990)
+ (The Wild One done by a kindergarten class while generic rock music plays for 90 minutes. No, it's not as fun as it sounds.)
Space Cowboys (Clint Eastwood, 2000)
-

Because of movie conventions, four old-time pilots (Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland, James Garner & Clint Eastwood) must travel into space to try to repair a failing satellite.
Split Second (Dick Powell, 1953)

The Punisher (Jonathan Hensleigh, 2004)

Silvia Prieto (Martin Rejtman, 1999)
+
Mister Roberts (John Ford & Mervyn LeRoy, 1955)
+

Mr. Roberts (Henry Fonda) challenges Ensign Pulver (Jack Lemmon) to stand up to Captain James Cagney and his draconian authority.
Stormhouse (Dan Turner, 2011)
+
Toujours moins aka Less and Less (Luc Moullet, 2010)

Night and Day (Michael Curtiz, 1946)
- (Total hogwash – divine music)
Rhapsody in Blue (Irving Rapper, 1945)
(Slightly-better hogwash – even more divine music)

George Gershwin (Robert Alda) performs the title tune during the "An Experiment in Modern Music" concert at Aeolian Hall in Manhattan.
Last Night (Don McKellar, 1998)
+
Beauty Shop (Bille Woodruff, 2005)
+
Sightseers (Ben Wheatley, 2012)

The Last of the Mohicans (Michael Mann, 1992)
-

During the French and Indian War, adopted Mohican Hawkeye (Daniel Day-Lewis) reluctantly fights with the British against Huron attack.

So high for The Last of the Mohicans! The best thing about it is music.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Prefab People
-
Marriage is hell. This film presents a dying,decaying marriage between a man and his stay at home wife. At a point in the film you realize its not even being told in chronological order, and the harsh reality kicks in. Its told in a very minimalist, almost Cassavetes-style realism mode and its a very "rough" looking film. It actually adds to the film and gives it an even greater kick of realism. Dark,bleak,hopeless.

The Wild One

Brando is good, but the rest of the film is sorta....forgettable. Oh and its a bit too melodramatic for my tastes. Meh

Autumn Sonata
+
I saw this one a bit of a while back but I never wrote my thoughts on it. I disagree with your score BlueLion and I'll try to emphasize why. This movie is unbelievably well acted and for the first time we see both the Bergman's together in one film(ingmar and Ingrid obviously). The first half of the film shows tension,turmoil bubbling...simmering below the surface until it all comes out into the open during the second half. You see a mother and daughter go at it,laying it all on the line. Its emotionally draining,powerful, and very believable. Bergman was a master of discomfort, of bringing out the worst aspects of humanity and presenting it through the Cinema.Cinema can be both spectacle and a vehicle of entertainment yes. But it is also a form of catharsis, or a form of reflecting on our own lives through art. Autumn Sonata is one of his rawest,most honest films in my opinion.

Taken
-
Liam Neeson kicking as* and taking names. Honestly, this was a bit of a surprise for me. Its a very watchable and entertaining action flick and it moves at such a rapid pace that you never become bored.Yeah its stupid,cliche blah blah. But honestly it did what it need to do:Entertain me. So its a success in my book.

Wall Street

Gordon Gecko is one slimy son of gun ain't he?

The Natural
+
Robert Redford is such a great actor and he does a heck of a fine job in the role. The movie is very watchable and quite good, although Its a bit too "by the books". It doesn't leave it's comfort zone in hopes of being something really good.

The Rainmaker
-
Pretty good. Pretty good.

And I always thought that The Prefab People is just a movie about buying a washing machine...

Some more 70s films from the countdown:

Le Cercle Rouge B+
Animal House B
The Conformist A-

Of the films I've watched for the first time because of the countdown, The Conformist is my favorite by far, visually outstanding and very haunting.

Also saw The Big Lebowski last week in the theatre, first time on the big screen but at least the twelfth time overall. It was one of the funnest movie-going experiences ever.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Any Number Can Play (Mervyn LeRoy, 1949)
+
Hot Saturday (William Seiter, 1932)
-
Mulberry St (Jim Mickle, 2006)

The Young Philadelphians (Vincent Sherman, 1959)

With the hopes of becoming a lawyer, poor college student Paul Newman works in construction to help pay his tuition, but his prospects improve when he meets socialite Barbara Rush.
Exorcist II: The Heretic (John Boorman, 1977)
+ (Visually-striking but ludicrous)
Post Grad (Vicky Jenson, 2009)
+
Henry Busse and His Orchestra (Jean Negulesco, 1940)

Bringing Up Baby (Howard Hawks, 1938)
+

Paleontologist Cary Grant has to explain to ditzy Katharine Hepburn’s aunt May Robson why he’s in a woman’s nightgown. Later Hepburn destroys his life’s work.
Tomorrow You're Gone (David Jacobson, 2012)

Every Girl Should Be Married (Don Hartman, 1948)

Stranger in the House (Rodney Gibbons, 1997)

The Man in the Moon (Robert Mulligan, 1991)
-

1957. In rural Louisiana, 14-year-old Reese Witherspoon finds first love with older neighbor boy Jason London, but he thinks they're just friends because she’s just a kid.
The Yacht Party (Roy Mack, 1932)

The Quiller Memorandum (Michael Anderson, 1966)

Double Take (Johan Grimonprez, 2009)

My Favorite Wife (Garson Kanin, 1940)

Irene Dunne was assumed lost at sea, but she was really shipwrecked on a desert island with Randolph Scott for seven years. When she suddenly returns, she finds that she’s legally dead and husband Cary Grant has just remarried.
The Good Mother (Leonard Nimoy, 1988)

Together aka Juntos (Nicolás Pereda, 2009)

Room for One More (Norman Taurog, 1952)

Barcelona (Whit Stillman, 1994)
+

Uptight salesman Taylor Nichols thinks he loves blonde Tushka Bergen, but his selfish cousin Chris Eigeman complicates matters while sexy Mira Sorvino looks on.

The Devils (Ken Russell, 1971) –

Waking Life* (Richard Linklater, 2001) –
+
Boyhood* (Richard Linklater, 2014) –

In Cold Blood (Richard Brooks, 1967) –

Vertigo* (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958) –

The Birds* (Alfred Hitchcock, 1963) –

Gosford Park (Robert Altman, 2001) –

Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957) –
+

Nashville (Robert Altman, 1975) –

*Rewatch

Frozen(2010)

Inside (2007)
+
Session 9 (2001)

The Changeling (1980)
+
Identity (2003)

Shame (2011)

Once Upon A Time In America (1984)
-

Unregistered User
The Devils (Ken Russell, 1971) –

Waking Life* (Richard Linklater, 2001) –
+

In Cold Blood (Richard Brooks, 1967) –

+

*Rewatch
How many times have you seen Boyhood?
Pretty low score for In Cold Blood, its a fantastic film.

How many times have you seen Boyhood?
Pretty low score for In Cold Blood, its a fantastic film.
Seen Boyhood three times.

In Cold Blood wasn't a very good movie watching experience for me. The movie itself is very good, but I was having some problems with my meds and I was really antsy and tired and feeling really weird. I could barely focus. That's why my rating is so low. I need to see it again.

+
Some great films here, I actually re watched The Birds the other day too and would probably give it
-

I'm not old, you're just 12.
The Invention of Lying - Ricky Gervais stars in this, a (mostly) great satire about a world where everyone tells the absolute truth at all times and lying isn't even a thing, until a down on his luck screenwriter invents it to get out of debt. The film starts off brilliantly, but devolves into a tepid romantic comedy in the last third, which is a bit of a let down. But I still recommend it for the funny performances of Gervais, Louis C.K., Jennifer Garner, and Rob Lowe, and for it's unapologetic satire on religion.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Birds
REWATCH
Robots

Revolutionary Girl: Utena

Mad Max

Popeye

Once Upon a Time in the West

(Re)watched while I was away for my brother's wedding:

Mary and Max. (Adam Elliot, 2009)

Charlotte's Web (Charles Nichols and Iwao Takamoto, 1973)

Bridesmaids (Paul Feig, 2011)
+

Gladiator (Ridley Scott, 2000)

Surf's Up (Ash Brannon and Chris Buck, 2007)
+

The Invention of Lying - Ricky Gervais stars in this, a (mostly) great satire about a world where everyone tells the absolute truth at all times and lying isn't even a thing, until a down on his luck screenwriter invents it to get out of debt. The film starts off brilliantly, but devolves into a tepid romantic comedy in the last third, which is a bit of a let down. But I still recommend it for the funny performances of Gervais, Louis C.K., Jennifer Garner, and Rob Lowe, and for it's unapologetic satire on religion.
I liked this film, unique and charming

Enemy

Recent Watches:
Breaking Away (Yates, 1979)-

Enemy (Villeneuve, 2013)-
++
Monty Python and The Holy Grail (Gilliam & T. Jones, 1975)-

Victim (Dearden, 1961)-

Badlands (Malick, 1973)-

Under the Skin (Glazer, 2013)-
+

Short films: