Movie Tab II

Tools    

I recommend The Turn Horse, I've only seen that and Werckmeister, but it's my favorite of the two and one of my favorite movies.

Also was Tokyo Story your first Ozu, I watched it the other week too as my first, I thought it was great and the more I have thought about it sense, the better I think it is as a film. With quite a bit of discussion about him recently, and of course as a person looking to expand my film knowledge, I look forward to watching and learning more about him and his films
Yeah. I felt a little disconnected from it, which is typical for me on a first viewing of something like this. I tend to let myself get wrapped up in the importance and reputation of it all and my expectations skyrocket to levels nothing can meet. Usually it's on a rewatch that I can let them work their magic, so I'll be giving Tokyo Story another go quite soon, I think. It might well be that I just don't like it that much, but I have to give it another chance.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'll definitely be watching, like Minio himself would say, MOAR Tarr. I think I'll check out Damnation first.

I agree 100% on the ending. At first, it didn't even make sense to me. Was he trying to say, "Look, this is only a film"? I think the themes of the film are controversial in his country (to say the least), so with that ending he wanted to show his people that it's only a film, after all. That he actually didn't just take a camera and film a non-actor trying to commit suicide for real.
Damnation is great, was on my 80s list, though there wasn't enough support .

I've always felt that the ending of Taste of Cherry was made out of fear rather than artistic intent, but Kiarostami has been able to subtly subvert the strictness of Iranian regulations in his film before with much greater ease and power before, where it seems both artistic and politically necessary (the last shot of Through the Olive Trees for instance). Kiarostami said himself that he wanted to put something more light hearted at the end to compensate for the grimness of the movie, but it doesn't really work that well. Jonathan Rosenbaum said that the ending served to express an impossibility of the film. It shows that even making a film about profound loneliness is a collective activity that can exhume happiness, a kind of paradox about cinema. While I think what Rosenbaum said is somewhat valid, I tend to stick with my personal reaction to it, a far less creative and complex way of exposing the fiction in the film than something like Close-Up.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Yeah. I felt a little disconnected from it, which is typical for me on a first viewing of something like this. I tend to let myself get wrapped up in the importance and reputation of it all and my expectations skyrocket to levels nothing can meet. Usually it's on a rewatch that I can let them work their magic, so I'll be giving Tokyo Story another go quite soon, I think. It might well be that I just don't like it that much, but I have to give it another chance.
Yeah, this is why I don't typically recommend that people start with Tokyo Story. Though Guaporense says that Tokyo Story gives him "greatest movie ever vibes" I couldn't feel more different about it. Ozu never wanted to make the best movie ever made, he just wanted to make better tofu. A lot of people go into Tokyo Story looking for Citizen Kane or Vertigo or The Godfather, and what they end up with instead is some tofu.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Through a Glass Darkly (1961) -

Werckmeister Harmonies (2000) -

Come and See (1985) -

I'll definitely be watching, like Minio himself would say, MOAR Tarr. I think I'll check out Damnation first.

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Two Cars, One Night (2003) - Taika Waititi
12 minute short from the director of Eagle vs Shark. I usually struggle a bit with shorts because they don't run long enough to develop the characters so I am often left feeling a bit flat. Waititi, however, is a bit of a genius when it comes to character development and it really showed in this. Nicely shot too.

REW-FFWD (1994) - Denis Villeneuve
I think this may have been Villeneuve's first short. It's kind of a Marker style documentary - almost a Jamaican Travelogue with a fictional story running over the top. It's interesting but flawed.

Canticle of All Creatures (2006) - Miguel Gomes
Short from the acclaimed Portuguese director about ... not really sure ... animals I think Looks nice though.
-

Fantastic Planet (1973) - Rene Laloux
Really liked the animation and the concept but I perhaps felt that it's point was a bit obvious. Enjoyed it.
-

The Green Mile (1999) - Frank Darabont
Considering how popular The Shawshank Redemption is I find it strange that this has kind of been forgotten. It's mostly very good although it's way too long and the last half hour is pretty crappy.
-

Braveheart (1995) - Mel Gibson
Pure ego project from someone who is, unfortunately, not a good enough actor to carry a three hour film on his own - and he is on his own because he doesn't allow any other characters to develop. Liked it when I watched it years ago but now not so much.
-

Frankenstein (1994) - Kenneth Branagh
Speaking of ego ... Kenneth Branagh mostly films Kenneth Branagh running around with his shirt off and with his locks flowing ... This movie is a huge wasted opportunity.

Sherlock Jr. (1924) - Buster Keaton
Funny scene after funny scene. I hardly ever say this about a movie - in fact I don't think I ever have - but I wish it was longer.
+

All That Jazz (1979) - Bob Fosse
I'm generally not a fan of musicals for one reason - all of the filler songs. Most musicals have a few good songs and then the rest become tedious IMO. That was the situation here - I liked the story, script and acting but all the mediocre songs stopped me loving it.
+

More to come ...

Kurt & Courtney (1998) - Nick Broomfield
Not a particularly good documentary because it was very biased but it was still interesting in ways that perhaps Broomfield didn't intend - mainly the desire for fame. Not just from Love but from any number of people who want to get their 15 minutes by talking about someone with actual talent. BTW, really weird that the guy who said he was offered money by Love to kill Cobain was hit by a train two days after the interview ...
-

Aileen: Life & Death of a Serial Killer (2003) - Nick Broomfield/Joan Churchill
This was a good documentary - because Broomfield brought his usual lack of balance but was forced to constantly have his own beliefs challenged. Also, this is much scarier than any horror movie I've ever seen.

Logan's Run (1976) - Michael Anderson
Movie about a future where Michael York and Jenny Agutter are forced to have the same hairstyle. Very dated and cheesy but, as always, Agutter makes it worth watching.

The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) - Judd Apatow
This is mostly decent but it's score gets bumped up by a whole popcorn box thanks to it's ridiculously funny ending.

Knocked Up (2007) - Judd Apatow
Apatow appears to only be able to make one type of film at the moment - but that's OK because he is quite good at it and his films seem to have a somewhat good heart which I like.

Saturday Night Fever (1977) - John Badham
The dancing and music are good and the story is good but together they don't work overly well. I don't mind it but it could/should have been much better.
-

L'Avventura (1960) - Michelangelo Antonioni
Loved the first hour but it lost me a bit after that.

Battle for Haditha (2007) - Nick Broomfield
Really interesting look at both sides of a massacre in Iraq. Flawed in many ways but I found it very engaging.

Boy (2010) - Taika Waititi
I loved this. Extremely funny for me because I have some understanding of the culture (Maori's in NZ) but others should be able to enjoy it as an amusing "coming of age story" with some great acting by all of the kids involved.

Rabbit-Proof Fence (2002) - Phillip Noyce
Noyce managed to do what no other director has managed - get a good, restrained performance out of Branagh Really touching story of girls taken from their mother (part of Australia's "stolen generation") trying to find their way home. Final couple of minutes showing the real people that the movie is based on is hugely emotional.
-

The Fly II (1989) - Chris Walas
Sequel starring Eric Stoltz and Daphne Zuniga ... what could go wrong, right?

Rocco and His Brothers (1960) - Luchino Viconti
Beautifully shot but too long and whilst the first two hours are great, the last hour is so melodramatic.
-

Purple Noon (1960) - Rene Clement
French version of The Talented Mr Ripley. Loved the ending - which is different to the book apparently. Also I have to say, without a hint of gayness, that Alain Delon was one super good looking dude
+

Brief Encounter (1945) - David Lean
One of those movies that grabbed my attention in the opening seconds and held it. Great movie.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Guardians of the Galaxy - This is my favorite movie this year. I don't see anything topping it. Chris Pratt will be a major star after this, and even non-actor Dave Bautista works perfectly here. Lots of laughs and escapist fun with a brilliant use of 1970's pop hits, and some hilarious cameos.

The Legend of Bagger Vance - Soul searching golf movie directed by Robert Redford. Well made, fun to watch, serious but not depressing story of a golf pro (Matt Damon) who returns from WWI with serious PTSD and how he regains his life with the help of his philosophically inclined caddy (Will Smith).

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - a smart anti-war movie masquerading as a summer actioner. Caesar, the super smart chimp from Rise of the Planet of the Apes, is now the leader of an entire ape civilization built after a disease wipes out most of humanity. When the surviving humans encroach on his home, is there a chance the two species can coexist, or will the world be plunged into war? Check the title. It's not "Planet of the Apes and Humans."

Oldboy - Soulless American remake. Wow, did the makers of this not get why the original was so good? Josh Brolin plays the film's anti hero with a fixed scowl on his face, and none of the dark humor of the original. Spike Lee can't be totally blamed, the original was so strange that there was no way that an American version would ever work.

Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - ugly but artsy revenge film about a green-haired deaf mute who kidnaps a young child in an attempt to raise money for his sister's kidney transplant. Everything goes horribly wrong, and the resultant bloodbath is painful and ultimately futile. I liked how this was done, the film is quick and brutal, not ever glamorizing it's violence, and with strange little humorous bits to offset the grim narrative.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Finished here. It's been fun.

Jules and Jim

Elegant,beautiful and very cool as well. Jules and Jim is about two best friends, and their relationship with the women they are both in love with. Truffaut's direction is beautiful, yet he is also able to capture a firm grasp and understanding of his characters alongside his remarkable filmmaking.

The film however does have some issues though. I think its a bit too long and towards the end it begins to get rather repetitive. Nonetheless, this is a much watch French-New Wave film. I do however prefer The 400 Blows though.

The Life Aquatic
-
I decided to up my rating for the film a little bit from my intial
. This is my 5th Wes Anderson film, and I just don't think his style is for me. I tried very hard to get into The Life Aquatic, but I just couldn't. The art-style,visuals and stop motion effects are pretty impressive. But other than that, there's not much for me to cling to. I found it poorly paced,the shifts in tone jarring and the movie is just too damn long! Oh well, can't love them all....

Stripes
+
I've been watching alot of Bill Murray films this week XD. This is a pretty solid comedy, nothing great or anything. But its very watchable.

Bela Tarr:I used to be a filmmaker
+
Interesting documentary about the creation of the legend's final film.

Quick Change
+
Yet another Bill Murray film. Honestly, this was really excellent movie as far as comedies go. Likeable characters,solid script,good jokes,etc.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.

Monsters University (Dan Scanlon, 2013)
-
Elysium (Neill Blomkamp, 2013)
+
Wrong Side of Town (David DeFalco, 2010)

The Past (Asghar Farhadi, 2013)

The slightest word or action in the past has huge repercussions for Frenchwoman Bérénice Bejo, her separated Iranian husband Ali Mossafa and her current Arab boyfriend Tahar Rahim.
The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Chris Weitz, 2009)

The Overcoat (Alberto Lattuada, 1952)

RV (Barry Sonnenfeld, 2006)
+
They Died With Their Boots On (Raoul Walsh, 1941)

General George Armstrong Custer (Errol Flynn) meets his fate at the Battle of Little Big Horn.
Battle of the Year (Benson Lee, 2013)

Undisputed (Walter Hill, 2002)
+
Kermit's Swamp Years (David Gumpel, 2002)

No (Pablo Larraín, 2012)
-

Ad executive Gael García Bernal is in charge of the campaign to have Chile’s “democratic dictator” Augusto Pinochet defeated in the 1988 referendum, but he’s worried about the safety of his family.
Double Harness (John Cromwell, 1933)

The Invisible Woman (Ralph Fiennes, 2013)

My Soul to Take (Wes Craven, 2010)

Diary of a Chambermaid (Luis Buñuel, 1964)
-

New chambermaid Jeanne Moreau is admired by the father (Jean Ozenne) of her employer who “like[s] to pull the strings”.
Phantom Punch (Robert Townsend, 2008)
+
The Wicked (Peter Winther, 2013)

Summer ‘04 (Stefan Krohmer, 2006)

The Lone Ranger (Gore Verbinski, 2013)
- (middle 30 min should be cut)

Tonto (Johnny Depp) and the Lone Ranger (Armie Hammer) do some Rube Goldberg-type stunts set to the “William Tell Overture” in the film’s highlight.

My Soul to Take (Wes Craven, 2010)
I'm certainly in the minority but I appreciate this flick I find it pretty entertaining ...

Out of interest what are the other four Wes Anderson films that you've seen Lucas? Imo The Life Aquatic is his weakest, then again i've still not seen Moonrise Kingdom or The Grand Budapest Hotel.

Mark how would you rate Monsters Inc? Just wondering because it's my second or third favourite animated film, and i'm a bit paronoid over the mixed responses to Monsters University.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Lazy Ratings are just how I roll these days. I'll explain if needed

Mean Streets
+
Guardians of the Galaxy

Manhunter

Yojimbo

Foreign Correspondent

Ed Wood

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Mark how would you rate Monsters Inc? Just wondering because it's my second or third favourite animated film, and i'm a bit paronoid over the mixed responses to Monsters University.
I have to rewatch Monsters, Inc. to know if I give it a
or a
. University isn't nearly as tender, funny or original. I'm sure I'd give it a
for content, but it was just a lot of fun watching the bright colors and interesting creatures. Yeah, I guess that makes me a closet Teletubbies fan! ()

Finished here. It's been fun.
Out of interest what are the other four Wes Anderson films that you've seen Lucas? Imo The Life Aquatic is his weakest, then again i've still not seen Moonrise Kingdom or The Grand Budapest Hotel.
I've also seen

Rushmore

The Royal Tenenbaums
-

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Moonrise Kingdom

Like I certainly don't hate his films, but I haven't seen one yet thats really struck me as "Great". They're well-made and watchable, but something is keeping me back from enjoying them as much as other people.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf was very interesting, but I think I missed something. First who's Virginia Woolf and what did she had to do with the movie other than that catchphrase that they sing? And the thing with the baby did they invent the baby? Then what is it with richard Burton killing it?

But I'd be willing to rewatch it, it was a pleasant watch and a great script.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf was very interesting, but I think I missed something. First who's Virginia Woolf and what did she had to do with the movie other than that catchphrase that they sing? And the thing with the baby did they invent the baby? Then what is it with richard Burton killing it?

But I'd be willing to rewatch it, it was a pleasant watch and a great script.
Yeah they invented the baby. Liz's character could not conceive.