Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Intro: With The Last Jedi released today, and me seeing it tomorrow, I felt it would be good to look again at The Force Awakens to see if it holds up two years old. Well, yes and no.

Summary: 30 years after the defeat of Darth Vader and the Empire, Rey, a scavenger from the planet Jakku, finds a BB-8 droid that knows the whereabouts of the long lost Luke Skywalker. Rey, as well as a rogue stormtrooper and two smugglers, are thrown into the middle of a battle between the Resistance and the daunting legions of the First Order.

The Good: I should start by saying that for the most part, the new characters are good to watch. Oscar Issac as Poe Dameron is a great addition, capturing the early charm and swag of Han Solo. Maz Kanata is also a good new add on, representing the wiseness of Yoda. It's also a good film that references the past and has a good feel for nostalgia for the previous Star Wars films. The Cinematography and Visual Effects are both great, making it feel new and fresh to enjoy.

The Bad: This is a film that's much more flawed than I thought on additional viewing. For starters, the dialogue is really weak, honestly much weaker than in the prequels. Very lazy and tedious, really taking you out of the experience. I thought the pacing of the plot was off too, everything going too quickly and not having time to breath. I also didn't appreciate the repeat treading of Episode IV. For a lot of Star Wars fans, its the excitement of doing a new story that's going to bring people in, not remembering the past. John Boyega is good as Finn, but the character of Finn is quite bad. Always getting beat up, knocked over, being a coward, and unfunny comic relief. Really disappointing.

Daisy Ridley: I'm divided on Daisy Ridley here. For her first major film role, there were some very dodgy moments in her performance. The character of Rey is fine to start off with, but gets a little too invincible as the film goes on. But I liked her independence, her ability to function in a fight, and her willingness to see the mission through. However, I felt it was slightly unrealistic that she gained her force powers way too easily in my book. Many people she's a mary sue, and I half agree to an extent, but I'm not quite there yet.

Overall: Star Wars: The Force Awakens is fine on its own, but in the wide scheme of Star Wars, it's not up there with the others, and tends to be on the weaker side of the series.

Rating: 80% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Intro: The latest Star Wars film once again captures hype and anticipation in a bottle, more so than any other film of the year. But can it deliver despite polarising opinion?

Summary: Rey develops her newly discovered abilities with the guidance of Luke Skywalker, who is unsettled by the strength of her powers. Meanwhile, the Resistance prepares to do battle with the First Order.

The Good: Most of the flaws I had with Episode 7 have been improved with this film. It doesn't follow the same beats as Empire, branching out to new territory when needed to. The performances are better, especially with Daisy Ridley. The dialogue is ten times better and is actually witty & clever. And then you have more humour and action sequences that make Star Wars more fresh and fantastic than ever. The technical aspects of the film are also great, in particular, the cinematography and visual effects, which will no doubt bring awards to the film.

The Bad: As much as I like Carrie Fisher, there is a sequence in the film that is so WTF bizarre, that it sort of takes you out of Star Wars for a moment. If you've seen the film, chances are you know what it is, but I found it utterly dumb, stupid, and insulting to say the least. Another thing is the underwhelming villains, in particularly Snoke & Phasma, who don't really add anything unique and new to the Star Wars Villains rogue gallery. Hux & Ren are fine, but with Star Wars, you'd expect more.

Overall: The Last Jedi is a solid Star Wars film, but with flaws of course. Its entertaining, wild, exciting, and nostalgic at the same time.

Rating: 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Amazing Spiderman 2

Intro: I remember this film getting an absolute trashing from everyone: Fans, Critics, Dogs of Critics, etc. It was just loathed by everyone. And I never ended up seeing it as a result. But thanks to Netflix, I managed to throw this film on and give it a watch to kill some time. Was it as bad as people make it out to be? ...No, not really.

Summary: We've always known that Spider-Man's most important conflict has been within himself: the struggle between the ordinary obligations of Peter Parker and the extraordinary responsibilities of Spider-Man. But in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Peter Parker finds that his greatest battle is about to begin. It's great to be Spider-Man. For Peter Parker, there's no feeling quite like swinging between skyscrapers, embracing being the hero, and spending time with Gwen. But being Spider-Man comes at a price: only Spider-Man can protect his fellow New Yorkers from the formidable villains that threaten the city. With the emergence of Electro, Peter must confront a foe far more powerful than he. And as his old friend, Harry Osborn, returns, Peter comes to realize that all of his enemies have one thing in common: Oscorp.

The Good: So I'll start with what works and that's the cinematography. I love the fact that you're flying in the air with Spiderman and the camera goes along with him, rather than just shoot him from a distance. The visual effects are fun, and Electro played by Jamie Foxx is great, if not a little goofy at the start. Once the powers come into play, he becomes a proper threat to Spiderman and the city overall. Andrew Garfield & Emma Stone are of course great on screen together and you do buy into the romance. And if you're familiar with Spiderman folklore, the ending we all expect to come does indeed come, and it's very sad to watch.

The Bad: Dane DeHann of all people is very weak in this as Harry Osborn. I never felt intimidated by him and thought his overall arc was rushed and not well plotted. While the Green Goblin was fun to see at the beginning, I reckon it would've been better served for a third Spiderman outing. Referring back again to the ending. I would've loved a twist on that as I know it was coming just as many other Spidey fans did. It just would've been a neat surprise and would've taken things to a new direction that would've given fans a ton of new theories and speculation to ponder.

Overall: Not an awful film by any means, The Amazing Spiderman 2 is fine and entertaining enough to enjoy, and fulfils two hours if you need time to kill.

Rating: 75% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Lincoln

Intro: To me, this will be one of Spielberg's more underrated flicks. One that will hold importance long after Steven Spielberg's time as a filmmaker.

Summary: In 1865, as the American Civil War winds inexorably toward conclusion, U.S. president Abraham Lincoln endeavors to achieve passage of the landmark constitutional amendment which will forever ban slavery from the United States. However, his task is a race against time, for peace may come at any time, and if it comes before the amendment is passed, the returning southern states will stop it before it can become law. Lincoln must, by almost any means possible, obtain enough votes from a recalcitrant Congress before peace arrives and it is too late. Yet the president is torn, as an early peace would save thousands of lives. As the nation confronts its conscience over the freedom of its entire population, Lincoln faces his own crisis of conscience -- end slavery or end the war.

Daniel Day Lewis: For me, the central key selling point of this film is the award-winning performance of Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln. He's brilliant and completely disguises himself into the role. He is Abraham Lincoln, and a very different one to what many people expect. I loved his leadership, confidence, and wisdom around all the other characters. For me, Day Lewis deserved the performance, even if at the time I was rooting for Hugh Jackman of Les Miserables to take it at the time.

Production: I loved the production of this film. The sets, costumes, cinematography, etc. All of it made the film's identity shine strong. I also loved the fact that there was very little action in the film, a complete contrast to what modern-day Hollywood produces these days. It was refreshing and nice to engage and be thrilled by the many conversations that twisted and turned throughout the film.

Overall: Lincoln is a solid film that should be seen. It's one of Spielberg's more underrated films, and it delivers one of the best performances of the decade bar none.

Rating: 94% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Intern

Intro: I bought this on DVD for a cheap price just because I liked the idea of Anne Hathaway & Robert De Niro starring in a film together. And believe me, Its a lot better than I expected.

Summary: A retired 70-year-old widower, Ben (played by Robert De Niro), is bored with retired life. He applies to a be a senior intern at an online fashion retailer and gets the position. The founder of the company is Jules Ostin (Anne Hathaway), a tireless, driven, demanding, dynamic workaholic. Ben is made her intern, but this is a nominal role - she doesn't intend to give him work and it is just window dressing. However, Ben proves to be quite useful and, more than that, a source of support and wisdom.

My Thoughts: For me, this is a great flick. One that looks at two characters with a big hole in their lives, who learn something from each other as they journey on a very unusual course. Hathaway & De Niro have great chemistry, and I thought De Niro's character was a terrific old-school charmer that you don't often see in cinema anymore. I also enjoyed the play on gender in this film. Without degrading or talking down the other, they manage to have a conversation about several ideas without being judgemental in the slightest. Its fun, interesting, and clever all at once. The one nitpick was the ending. I would've preferred if they went a different direction, but they instead went somewhere else which was a little disappointing.

Overall: The Intern is good, and a stronger film than I expected. Great performances, story, and something to learn along the way.

Rating: 91% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Jurassic World

INTRO: After a long period of silence from this franchise, the fourth instalment of the Jurassic Park series finally emerged in 2015, rebooting the series slightly, with John Hammond's dream finally realised for the world to see. But is this a film memorable in the long run of films so far?

SUMMARY: 22 years after the original Jurassic Park failed, the new park (also known as Jurassic World) is open for business. After years of studying genetics the scientists on the park genetically engineer a new breed of dinosaur. When everything goes horribly wrong, will our heroes make it off the island?

TECHNICAL: I think overall, I think this is the most visually fascinating of the films since the first. The cinematography is terrific and gives you a long desire to visit the park in person, with all the latest attractions being very appealing to watch on screen. The visual effects are of course a plus, as this is the franchise that really made CGI a major player in blockbuster cinema. I enjoy how fresh it looks, and how new it feels when seeing the park come alive, in what was just a rough idea for John Hammond in the first film.

NEW DINOSAURS: The Dinosaurs are great as always, but the new ones deserve a special mention, in particular, the Indominus Rex, a hybrid of two major dinosaurs already in the park. And this thing is deadly, leagues smarter than any other dinosaur in the park, and one which is much harder to escape from. However we of course get returns from the T-Rex and The V-Raptors, who are always great entertainment in these films, and in particular with the Raptors, some of the scariest creatures in film.

HOWEVER: All that said, I'm very conflicted on the characters in this film. I wish they could've been more unique, especially Chris Pratt & Bryce Dallas Howard's characters. Comparing with the first Jurassic Park film, those characters were more interesting and less one note than what we had here. There was more personality to them, and you actually cared for them when things went haywire on the park. Here, the only two characters you sort of care for are the boys, and that's it. Everyone else just feels like they're in line to be eaten, which is quite sad.

OVERALL: Jurassic World is great fun and a good continuation of the Jurassic Park story. With wilder effects, new dinosaurs, as well as a new direction, Jurassic World is bigger and visually more appealing than the previous Jurassic entries. The only downside is a lack of interesting characters, but you’re going against the likes of Richard Attenborough & Jeff Goldblum.

RATING: 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men: Days Of Future Past

INTRO: An X Men film many for a while were raving was the best one. I have my own opinions, but its a strong entry none the less to the X Men series.

SUMMARY: In the future, the mutants and the humans that help them are slaughtered by powerful robots named Sentinels. Professor Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, Storm, Kitty Pryde and her friends meet at a monastery in China and Xavier explains that the invincible Sentinels were created using the DNA of Mystique that was captured in 1973 when she tried to assassinate their creator Dr. Bolivar Trask. Xavier tells that their only chance is return to 1973 using Pryde's ability to join Charles Xavier and Erik Lehnsherr to convince Mystique to give up of her intention. . However, only Wolverine can withstand the damages of the time travel. Will he succeed in stopping Mystique and the Sentinel Program and save the mutants and their human friends from annihilation?

NOSTALGIA: What makes, for me at least, such a good X Men film is its use of nostalgia when plotting through the film. Whether its referencing past events, or with Wolverine, his first encounter with Stryker. Its a nice, respectful nod to the films prior to that and what they've worked for to make comic book films where they are. Memorable characters make a return, and play off the cast of First Class very well.

OTHER GOOD STUFF: I found the pacing in this film to be very well done, with the tension of the story really building towards the end. It was great to see cast like Halle Berry, Shawn Ashmore and Ellen Page return as well as bringing in Evan Peters as Quicksilver who I thought was brilliant, much better than Aaron Taylor Johnson's portrayal of the role. Then there are the Sentinels. In the future timeline, these things are pretty much unstoppable, and are unkillable, making them all the more scary. The one weak spot for me was Peter Dinklage as Bolliver Trask. I just never saw the hatred and bitterness coming from his character, or never found him to be that scheming or villanious. If anything, he struck me as underdeveloped.

OVERALL: X Men: Days Of Future Past is an absolute game changer in the X Men franchise. With references and a respectable nostalgia to the past, but with a strong foot forward to the future, it contains all the best aspects of a X Men film, with brilliant performances, strong CGI, and an engaging story to follow. Its a film worth your time.

RATING: 94% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Final Year (London Film Festival)

INTRO: I thought this would be an interesting film to watch, given the current political climate the United States are in right now. And when this came along around the time of the London Film Festival, it was one flick I definitely wanted to check out.

SUMMARY: THE FINAL YEAR is a unique insiders' account of President Barack Obama's foreign policy team during their last year in office. Featuring unprecedented access inside the White House and State Department, THE FINAL YEAR offers an uncompromising view of the inner workings of the Obama Administration as they prepare to leave power after eight years.

MY GENERAL THOUGHTS: My general impression was that I was definitely well informed of what the US government at the time were going for with their foreign policy. You definitely get a good sense of the hard work, and long travel that goes into extending diplomacy around the world. However, I did feel moments were a tad bias towards the democrats and would've liked a more general look at a final year of any presidency, rather than the Obama one on its own. Maybe some talking heads on Bush's time in office, or maybe Regan's just to even it out.

OVERALL: I liked The Final Year ok, but it’s not a stand out documentary by any means. If you’re into US politics then this is definitely something for you, but aside from that, its just too one-sided for my taste. Still, its enjoyable enough to give it a watch.

RATING: 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Pitch Perfect 3

INTRO: There was really no hype for this film whatsoever, maybe because no one really needed or asked for a third Pitch Perfect film. Especially since the second film ended pretty perfectly to be honest. But still, we reap what we sow so here is the third Pitch Perfect film.

SUMMARY: After the highs of winning the World Championships, the Bellas find themselves split apart and discovering there aren't job prospects for making music with your mouth. But when they get the chance to reunite for an overseas USO tour, this group of awesome nerds will come together to make some music, and some questionable decisions, one last time.

GENERAL THOUGHTS: For me, this is a seriously underwhelming edition to the Pitch Perfect series, due to the fact that you can tell there are no ideas left in the bank. But let's start with what I liked: the locations. Spain looks lovely on screen, and the USO airbase locations are fine. And really, that's it. Everything else is either underwhelming or just bad. The plot is daft and not very exciting, the acting average, and the songs performed don't really leave anything to the imagination.

OVERALL: Pitch Perfect 3 is a severe letdown compared to its first two installments. Despite nice exotic locations, the film’s daft story and unremarkable song choices leave very little to add to a unique, creatively solid series of films. It’s a downbeat end to a cappelling trilogy. (See what I did there).

RATING: 71% - B+

Because this poster is gorgeous
Connor Macgregor Reviews...Thor Ragnarok

INTRO: I wasn't prepared for this film in anyway. The trailer while fun, wasn't filling me with anticipation as I am with Infinity War, never had me hooked to go to the cinema. But I did anyway because, well, its Marvel. And with that, I had one of the most fun trips to the cinema in a long time.

SUMMARY: Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok, the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization, at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela.

IT'S GREAT: For me, and I think for many fans, this is the best film of the Thor series so far. It's not as serious as the first, and much more memorable than the second. And most importantly, it lets itself loose and makes fun of itself, and as a result, we are rewarded with a really fun memorable film, quite possibly one of the best of the MCU so far. For starters, its funny, and I mean, Deadpool funny. Clever witty jokes coming at you left, right, and center and you're giggling all the way through. The visual effects are great and colourful, and a treat to the eyes. And then the performances are also great, with noteworthy mentions to Chris Hemsworth, Jeff Goldblum and Tessa Thompson especially.

OVERALL: Thor Ragnarok is pure unadulterated fun. It's an almost perfect comic book film which contains all the joys, strengths and tricks that makes the best comic book cinema work. A visual treasure chest, perfectly timed humour, and by far Chris Hemsworth’s best performance to date.

RATING: 96% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Dunkirk

INTRO: Christopher Nolan is very much the only champion of original blockbuster cinema. There's no one really in Hollywood that's dojng the type of films he's doing right now. Dunkirk is another example of this wheel maintaining its speed.

SUMMARY: Evacuation of Allied soldiers from the British Empire, and France, who were cut off and surrounded by the German army from the beaches and harbor of Dunkirk, France, between May 26- June 04, 1940, during Battle of France in World War II.

THE GOOD: While not Nolan's best film, it's certainly one of the most unique he's done in his career. For one, I love the way this story is told. From three perspectives; Land, Sea & Air. All very thrilling stories that contribute to the evacuation. There are some great performances here. Special mentions to Fionn Whitehead, Harry Styles (Yes, that Harry Styles), Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance & Tom Hardy, who all stand out pretty significantly.

HOWEVER: While entertaining and gripping, Dunkirk lacked grit for a war film. I don't think its quite as bleak and horrid as other war films in the past, and I think the scale and scope is it's main advantage to play here in terms of standing out as a WW2 movie.

OVERALL: Dunkirk is another high marker for Christopher Nolan, as he delivers a damn intense war film that is a true highlight of 2017. With a unique narrative, and strong memorable performances, Dunkirk separates itself from most war films in recent years, and gives Christopher Nolan another success in his phenomenal career.

RATING: 92% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Valerian And The City Of A Thousand Planets

INTRO: This is a film I really had a mixed opinion about when seeing it. I don't regret it though either, that's the thing. It's a film I happily paid money for, even though I knew it wasn't a masterpiece.

SUMMARY: In the Century XXVIII, the space station Alpha is a city where beings from different planets live together exchanging their knowledge and culture. Peace is granted by a human force, including Major Valerian and his partner Sergeant Laureline. They are assigned by the Defence Minister to retrieve the last species of converter in a dangerous mission. They succeed and back to Alpha, unknown humanoids abduct Commander Arun Filitt expecting to steal the converter. They head to a forbidden area that is infected but Valerian and Laureline follow them and disclose a hidden secret about the race and the infected area.

THE GOOD: I'll start with the stuff I like and that is of course the special effects which in my eyes is the best I've seen since Avatar. They're creative, beautiful, and contribute massively to the world building. And for what it is, I don't think the story is that bad. It's convincing enough, and not dumb enough to take you out of the picture.

THE BAD: However, the stuff that sucks really sucks. Acting wise, it's not great here. I do like Cara Delevigne but she and Dane DaHann are not convincing as a couple, and have a dead chemistry throughout the film. Rhianna is also quite bad in this film, playing an alien that doesn't really contribute anything to the story. And even worse is the dialogue, which comes off as stale, hokey, and not very convincing at times.

OVERALL:Valerian has both good & bad to it. While its phenomenal effects make it a film worth buying a ticket for, the chemistry between DeHann & Delevigne is very bad, and struggles to be taken seriously as a film. For me, it's a high quality guilty pleasure.

RATING: 66% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Revenant

INTRO: A major oscar winner, as well as being one of the most visually distinct films I've seen in a while, The Revenant certainly made a major splash when released in 2015. But is it as good as people make it out to be?

SUMMARY: While exploring uncharted wilderness in 1823, legendary frontiersman Hugh Glass sustains injuries from a brutal bear attack. When his hunting team leaves him for dead, Glass must utilize his survival skills to find a way back home while avoiding natives on their own hunt. Grief-stricken and fueled by vengeance, Glass treks through the wintry terrain to track down John Fitzgerald, the former confidant who betrayed and abandoned him.

THE GOOD: The first thing to talk about is how gritty the setting of the film is. Set in the very early years of American society, you see the very raw lifestyle a lot of these frontiersmen maintain in almost brutal landscapes. The battle scenes are tough to sit through, with the lack of protection and armour to sustain them in battle. Then performances are great. Leonardo DiCaprio in particular earning his oscar in one of the most brutal roles in his entire career. It's also a major departure from usual work he's done in his filmography. Tom Hardy is also marvellous as his character is unsympathetic and cold, and those traits only escalate as the film goes on.

HOWEVER: I do feel the film is too long, and drifts into a time where it just gets too experimental for my tastes. The tracking shots too long, the vision scenes too weird, and sometimes a bit too bloody for my taste.

OVERALL: There are parts of The Revenant to enjoy. However, its a film that might put many off, and can be a difficult and exhausting watch at points. But Leo’s central performance and the gritty dark brutal early world of America is truly great to watch.

RATING: 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Ant-Man

INTRO: You assume that Phase 2 of the MCU ends with Age Of Ultron, but alas they pull one more trick up their sleeve. And that trick is Ant-Man.

SUMMARY: Armed with the astonishing ability to shrink in scale but increase in strength, con-man Scott Lang must embrace his inner-hero and help his mentor, Dr. Hank Pym, protect the secret behind his spectacular Ant-Man suit from a new generation of towering threats. Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles, Pym and Lang must plan and pull off a heist that will save the world.

THE GOOD: While not the finest Marvel film of the slate, Ant-Man is fun and definitely a film to chill to when there's nothing else around. The cast is the main strength of this film, a mixture of old & underrated faces who all bring something to the table, and make the film's story a joy to watch. Paul Rudd proves his mark as a main lead, and Michael Douglas & Evangeline Lily are both great as supporting. Corey Stoll is a campy but bonkers villain and is acceptable enough. Add in Michael Pena & others and you have yourselves a good cast. It's also pretty comedic at points too.

THE BAD: I think the script can get weak at points, especially at crucial moments of the story such as Hank revealing the truth of Hope's mum. I thought it was just a bad time to do it, especially with Scott there. And with a film trying to separate itself from the crowd, it just doesn't stand out particularly well. It really isn't a spectacular film in many ways.

OVERALL: Ant-Man is entertaining, and provides new depth in the MCU. A fun cast, with a good startup story to one of Marvel’s most underrated heroes. Flawed, but fun none the less.

RATING: 75% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Three Billboards Outside Epping, Missouri

INTRO: One of the frontrunners in this year's Oscar pool, Three Billboards can punch its own weight, and is definitely a unique watch this year if you can find it.

SUMMARY: THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING, MISSOURI is a darkly comic drama from Academy Award nominee Martin McDonagh (In Bruges). After months have passed without a culprit in her daughter's murder case, Mildred Hayes (Academy Award winner Frances McDormand) makes a bold move, painting three signs leading into her town with a controversial message directed at William Willoughby (Academy Award nominee Woody Harrelson), the town's revered chief of police. When his second-in-command Officer Dixon (Sam Rockwell), an immature mother's boy with a penchant for violence, gets involved, the battle between Mildred and Ebbing's law enforcement is only exacerbated.

PERFORMANCES: The film's cast is very strong, and rich in deep performances. Frances McDormand plays a great lead in Mildred Hayes; Bitter, cynical, and deep in trauma. Everyone in her eyes is against her, and she feels like an island surrounded by water. Woody Harrelson is also good as Chief Willoughby, having a very sad arc in the film. Then there's Officer Dixon played by Sam Rockwell, whose both violence and a bit stupid at the same time. Additional performances to mention include Peter Dinklage, Lucas Hedges, John Hawkes & Samara Weaving whose by far the funniest in this film.

TONE: This is a very bleak film with very few laughs. The film's subject matter is dark, the characters almost unsympathetic, and the tone just downright down. Everyone in this film is either angry, unfriendly, rude, or brutal to one another. There's no sense of safety as everyone is fair game and hostile to one another.

OVERALL: Three Billboards is a grim, downbeat film based around anger, revenge, and impromptu justice. With a brilliant cast and a captivating story, it's certainly a film worth watching. Oscars are definitely on the horizon for this film.

RATING: 91% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...10 Cloverfield Lane

INTRO: 10 Cloverfield Lane is a small but creative thriller that really adds new life to a unique little franchise. While they may not be the biggest of films, they're certainly one of the most creative.

SUMMARY: After a car accident, Michelle awakens to find herself in a mysterious bunker with two men named Howard and Emmett. Howard offers her a pair of crutches to help her remain mobile with her leg injury sustained from the car crash and tells her to "get good on those" before leaving the bunker. She has been given the information that there has been an alien attack and the outside world is poisoned. However, Howard and Emmett's intentions soon become questionable and Michelle is faced with a question: Is it better in here or out there?

THE CAST: There are two main strengths in this film. The first is the cast of three that balance off each other very well. Mary Elizabeth Winstead is a great lead, and our point of view. Seeing the film through her perspective, we're presented with twists & turns from her eyes, and get a very realistic reaction to everything. John Gallagher Jr is also great as Emmett, and is often forgotten about when praising this film. He's very likeable and kind, but sadly isn't in the film as much as he should be. Then of course we have John Goodman, whose entire role is something you have to tread carefully around. Sinister, creepy, but has a likeable factor to him. Throughout the film, your perspective and opinion on him changes constantly, and it's so rewarding as a viewer to go through that and end up with something in cinema you don't often see anymore.

THE TWISTS: Another strength of this film is its unpredictable plot, which has twists throughout. At the beginning, middle, and end, you are constantly surprised at every turn. You go in assuming it's going to be a certain film, and leave having gone through a whole other experience altogether. It's so much fun to watch.

OVERALL: 10 Cloverfield Lane is a surprising entry in the now established Cloverfield universe. Performances by John Goodman & Mary Elizabeth Winstead elevate this story to another level, creating an eerie unsettling atmosphere from beginning to end. As a result, it sets itself a standard higher among the other horror offerings of the year.

RATING: 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Bone Tomahawk

INTRO: I went in really looking forward to this film. The trailer had me intrigued and I wanted to see something a little different, very indie, and new. I didn't exactly leave the theatre with that feeling...

SUMMARY: After an outlaw unknowingly leads a band of cannibalistic Troglodytes into the peaceful western town of Bright Hope, the monsters kidnap several settlers, including the wife of a local rancher. Despite his injured leg the rancher joins a small rescue party with the sheriff, his aging deputy and a strong-willed gunslinger. What follows is a journey into hell on earth as the posse comes to realize it is up against a foe whose savagery knows no bounds. The film takes place at the turn of the century around the border of what is now Texas and New Mexico.

THE GOOD: The film's strengths are the monsters of the film. Brutal, barbaric, and almost inhuman like. I love how original they are, and how scary they can be when you finally see their full power at play. The film's heroes are vastly outmatched and its a very uncomfortable watch when they come face to face with each other. For a small budget film, the western setting was good. Very remote, very quiet. It actually feels very realistic for a western film as small towns like Bright Hope wouldn't have huge amounts of activity at all.

THE BAD: The film's second act is dreadful. It's far too long and is in desperate need of a recut to reduce the long scenes down. I was really bored throughout and dampened my enjoyment of the film massively. There's also a huge lack of scares for a horror film, and you're left really let down as a result.

OVERALL: Bone Tomahawk is a fine film, but a dreadful second act. While the western setting works, and the performances perfectly standard, its middle falls flat and its lack of scare drags the film down. A sadly disappointing watch.

RATING: 22% - C-