A view from the Master.

→ in
Tools    

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Sin City
Directed By: Robert Rodriguez

"I've been having so much fun, I forgot to take my medicine."

Movie Triva

Directors Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller planned each shot in the movie by using the panels from the original book as storyboard..
First off I want to say Sin City is one of my favourite comic book movies. I've stated before comic book/superhero movies are very hit and miss with me. I either love them or hate them, and Sin City is a movie I have nothing but love for. Sin City looks fantastic, its a comic book brought to life right in front of are eyes. It's a movie that defines style and is very unique in a special way. Robert Rodriguez has the potential to be a great director, what he done with Sin City was truly awesome. He just happened to spend most of his career making spy kids movies instead of really breaking the boundaries. The faculty, Sin City, and From Dusk Till Dawn all show what he's capable of doing.

Movie Triva:

Adrien Brody auditioned for the role of Jackie Boy.
Sin City follows 3 story's in glorious black and white (Looks awesome), it follows a huge selection of great characters, played by some of the biggest names out there. Bruce Willis, Michael Madsen, Clive Owen, Mikey Rourke, the list is actually endless of big names. Its actually amazing to see so many big names in one movie, all of which bring something unique to there characters. Mickey Rourke as Marv is fantastic. He's actually my favourite character in the movie. He's got some truly entertaining scenes full of action and violence, some of which are sickening. Sin City is by far Robert Rodriguez's best film, i actually can't wait to see what he has come up with for the sequel. It's certainly looks impressive.

Overall Sin City is truly remarkable film making. It's originality is something you don't see often. It's cast, and story are entertaining. And the movie itself is a truly magical ride full of violence, and action.

Movie Triva:

As each sequence of this film was shot separately, new cast members were added and incorporated in the stories throughout the production. In many cases separate footage was composited in post-production to look as if it were all shot the same day. For example: Marv (Mickey Rourke) takes Wendy (Jaime King) to Nancy's (Jessica Alba) home. Alba had not been cast yet when Rourke and King shot the scene; her footage was added in later. The same is true of the scenes between Marv and Cardinal Roark (Rutger Hauer) and Kevin (Elijah Wood), as Hauer and Wood were cast after Rourke had shot his scenes.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I know it certainly isn't an universal opinion but I really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man and am greatly anticipating the sequel later this year. As for Sin City I think my fondness for it has waned somewhat. I used to love it (it may even have been on my top 100 list) but when I revisited it as part of my big superhero season it didn't reach those same heights. It was still a lot of fun and its visuals remain very striking but its all style, little substance approach didn't quite pay off the same. Though knowing me that could just have been the mood I was in on that particular day. The Crow for example I watched about a year ago and just didn't really get into it. I then give it another chance when I was going through all those comic book movies and rediscovered the film that I loved.

300: Rise Of An Empire
Directed By: Noam Murro

"I will attack the Greeks with my entire navy!"

300 has always been one of my favourite movies. As I said in my earlier review, it's a love it or hate type of film. I have always been on the love side of things. 300 Rise Of The Empire will probably fall into the same catagory with the audience. I personally loved the movie. I thought it was just as entertaining, just as cool, and looked just as amazing as the first. With a new director and a new cast i thought the movie may have lost its magic, but it didn't. I found myself on the edge of my seat with my hair standing on my neck just as excited as ever.

Fun Movie Trivia

The movie was initially going to be about the story of Xerxes and his military expeditions. The story and narrative were changed significantly and the script was revised in subsequent drafts to have include the Athenian leader Themistocles.
With Gerrard Butler missing from the action this time around, i thought he would be hugely missed. He presented so much power and presence in the first movie that I didn't think anyone would be able to replace him. And to my surprise, of all the people to steal the show it was Eva Green. She presented so much power, evilness, and violence that she made Gerrard Butler seem like an alter boy. Seriously, she's one evil sexy bit**. Sullivan Stapleton also gave a pretty good performance. He certainly fitted the role and gave us one pretty crazy sex scene with Eva Green .

Fun Movie Triva

The original script featured King Leonidas from "300", but he was ultimately cut out. This was due to Gerard Butler, who turned down to reprise his role as Leonidas, since it "wasn't really [his] thing".
I can't bring myself to say this movie was better than the first movie. There is just something I like more about the first that I can't quite put my finger on. Rise Of The Empire is certainly as entertaining. Its certainly just as good, but something was just that little bit better about the first. Overall this was a very strong action movie. It has some awesome moments, and looks amazing. I can't wait for the Blu Ray release.

Fun Movie Trivia

The lead role was offered to Joel Edgerton but he declined.

Ime probably one of the very few who has actually sat and enjoyed The Incredible Hulk. I thought it was very entertaining and a huge improvement on Ang Lee's attempt back in 2003. Ed Norton was great as Bruce Banner, I was actually disappointed that he didn't carry the role on into The Avengers. Anyway... Solid comic book movie, with some great action.

Captain America is certainly the weakest link in the marvel movie series. This was a movie I just didn't really enjoy at all. I thought it was really boring at times, and really cheesy in a bad way. I would go as far as to say this is actually worse than The Avengers. Captain America should of been the strongest of the series, and yet it turned out to be the worst.

To my surprise Thor was actually a pretty good movie. This was a movie I had no interest in seeing, i wasn't the least bit excited or interested about it. Yet, it turned out to be a very well made movie with some great action and humour. Chris Hemsworth did a great job. He really fitted the role perfectly, and provided everything we love about superheroes.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
i was the same with spider man redone at first and then on a second viewing thoroughly enjoyed it and i agree, even more so than the previous trilogy.
Still love the style of Sin City and lookin forward to seeing the 300 sequel

and include me in that number who really liked the incredible hulk movie (own it, watch it quite often)

Good to see we have the same opinions with comic book movies.

Sin City is one of my all-time favorite movies, glad you liked it. Would agree that the original Captain America was the weakest of the four franchises launched by Marvel, but I thought all of them were fairly mediocre (with the exception of the first and third Iron Man movies which were decent). Have yet to watch the 300 sequel.

I disagree on the low score of Captain America, but two out of three ain't bad.
Take it you liked Captain America?.

I just couldn't get in to it. The character himself feels weak, I always forget he's in The Avengers. He just doesn't stand out to me at all.

Have you put a list in to Rodent for the comic book countdown?.

The Mask
Directed By: Chuck Russel

Fun Movie Trivia:

The nightclub "Coco Bongo", where Jim Carrey goes in this movie and "The Majestic", is also the name of Jim Carrey's nightclub in Cancun, Mexico.
The Mask has always been one of my favourite movies. It was a movie I loved as a child, and I thought it was the craziest, funniest thing I'd ever seen. Jim Carrey was fantastic back in the 90's. Movies like Ace Ventura, Dumb and Dumber, and of course The Mask are all comedy classics. He took comedy to the next level with his crazy antics, facial expressions, and pure silliness. Jim Carrey was the perfect guy for The Mask.... I mean who's more suitable for a crazy outrageous movie like The Mask other than him.

"Tell Auntie Em to let Old Yeller out."

The Mask is a superhero like no other. Forget your Iron Man, Thor, Captain America. This is a cartoon-y creation gone wild. With a mix of comedy and a theme that is really dark. You don't know whether The Mask is a good guy or not. I look at him as if he's a good guy, I laugh at him like he's a good guy, but everything he does is wrong. The Mask is just one crazy adventure that entertains from the very start.

Fun Movie Trivia:

Based on a Dark Horse comic book series of the same name, which frequently comprised very dark horror stories. Chuck Russell has said that the movie script started off in that tone before being transformed as a vehicle for Jim Carrey's unique comedy.
Amongst all the madness there are some pretty good performances. Cameron Diaz is fantastic in her debut movie. She looks unbelievable, she's actually never looked so good. Jim Carrey is in his element with his role. And Peter Greene does a good job as the movies villain. I actually remember being a little scared when He turned into the mask when I was a kid. Overall The Mask is a really fun movie, and I hope to see it make Rodents comic book countdown.

couldn't agree more. Seeing Carey perform like a live action Tex Avery cartoon was a laugh riot when it came out and still puts a big ole cartoon lovin grin on my face whenever i see it
and yes, diaz's premiere was a sight to see and enjoy

couldn't agree more. Seeing Carey perform like a live action Tex Avery cartoon was a laugh riot when it came out and still puts a big ole cartoon lovin grin on my face whenever i see it
and yes, diaz's premiere was a sight to see and enjoy
Nice to see you have same views as me. Have you submitted a list in Rodents countdown?.

With a mix of violence, and humour, Kickass is like no other. It's a comic book movie different from the rest, and it's a movie very unique in some ways. With some very cool characters, and some very entertaining moments it's certainly a very enjoyable movie. This isn't a movie for the light hearted and certainly different from your other comic book movies out there. It's a Kickass movie (see what I done there ha).

Another dark and gruesome comic book movie out there is The Punisher. This is another one of my favourite comic book movies. I love how gruesome and dark the movie is. I love the characters and the cast. I actually love everything about The Punisher. It's a very entertaining and fun movie. I know this isn't one of the most praised Marvel movies, but I certainly enjoy it, and think it's very Underrated.

Nice to see you have same views as me. Have you submitted a list in Rodents countdown?.
no, and i REALLY need to -- bad llama

i was happily surprised with kickass, i really didn't think i was gonna like that one and i agree about punisher