The MoFo Top 50 Pre-1930 Countdown: The List

→ in
Tools    

The Wind was my #8, awesome film. I seem to remember it was JJ's nomination in an HoF but I can't find which HoF that was?

The Wind (1928)

The Wind is one of the great silent films and it holds the distinction of being the last silent film that the legendary Lillian Gish ever made. This was Lillian's pet project and was based on the novel, The Wind by Dorothy Scarborough.

The Wind, tells the tail of a young fragile woman, Letty (Lillian Gish) who finds herself alone in the east with no home and no one to care for her. She has no other choice but to travel across country to her cousin's
isolated ranch in the wind sweep plains of Texas. As she gets closer to the ranch, the wind blows furiously and it never stops though out the entire movie.

The wind effect was achieved by shooting near the heat drenched Mohave desert and using the propellers of eight airplanes to hurl wind, smoke and sand at the actors. The effect is amazing! And it's the wind that is the real protagonist of the film.

I really loved this movie and Lillian Gish is very enduring it, she has that special quality. I literally just watched her and she made the movie. Her and the ever blowing wind. I loved the way Lillian could get emotions across the vast span of time. This film still works!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Interesting, never even knew there was an 'adult' version of this fillum out there
It's a tawdry lil delight, but, yes there is.
Very few folks know but it's actually a prequel to the bondage epic, Taiwan On.
A MUST see IMHO

It's a tawdry lil delight, but, yes there is.
Very few folks know but it's actually a prequel to the bondage epic, Taiwan On.
A MUST see IMHO
Kewl, I shall endeavour to find both if I can, right after I watch the 60's sexploitation flick Peking Tom

Kewl, I shall endeavour to find both if I can, right after I watch the 60's sexploitation flick Peking Tom
a personal favorite of mine. You're gonna love Peking Tom if you haven't seen it before. The telescope scene being my favorite.
lol

While Laughton's endearing rendition of Quasimodo remains my favorite, Lon Chaney IS the King of tragic characters. After seeing several of his films recently, it amazes me the depth of sorrow that man can delve into and deliver. Hunchback was #8 for me.
I have not heard of The Wind, but with CR's praise, I AM intrigued. Another to my Watchlist.

MY LIST: Seen 5 out of 10 (50%)
8) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#41)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
22) Underworld (#47)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)

Both films today were on my list!

6 for Hunchback, 8 for The Wind. Laughton is awesome as Quasimodo and I really liked Gish in The Wind.
Laughton's in the 1939 version, though, right?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Way Down East was the first feature length silent film I ever watched and I think I have a bit of a soft spot for it because of that. It's a bit too long and I could do without the comic relief, but the Tess of the D'Urbervilles -esque storyline is engrossing, Lillian Gish is at her most luminous and that ice sequence is a feat of film-making. My #10.

Way Down East was the first feature length silent film I ever watched and I think I have a bit of a soft spot for it because of that. It's a bit too long and I could do without the comic relief, but the Tess of the D'Urbervilles -esque storyline is engrossing, Lillian Gish is at her most luminous and that ice sequence is a feat of film-making. My #10.
I watched Way Down East because I had seen where you mentioned really liking it in a Silent film thread by Markf. I'm glad I watched it too.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Wind is my #25. Great visuals in a strong psychological drama. I love that scene of Lilian Gish's face getting buried in the sand. Here's the "trailer".

Lon Chaney is great in Hunchback but it's not really one of my fave versions of the story. Here are a few highlights.

Seen 10/10
My List
1. Entr'acte
2. The Goat
15. The Last Command
25. The Wind

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Emil Jannings, demoted from his job as a posh hotel's doorman to a washroom attendant, dreams about better days. Another example of Jannings' depictions of degraded characters and Murnau's visual storytelling.

Charlie and his adopted dog have to find food throughout the city. Funny enough Chaplin half-movie.

Neither on my list.

Once again, haven't seen either.
Seen: 3/12

My List:
23. The Man Who Laughs (#48)

The Last Laugh (1924) (Der Letzte Mann) by F.W. Murnau

The Last Laugh from 1924 was my no. 3 and is my personal favorite by Murnau. It may not be his (objectively) best film, but the film certainly got me. I may fear for the rest of my list, when this was only no. 40, but i am certainly the odd one out when we make these lists. Other notable films by Murnau that i have seen and liked comprises of Faust (1926), City Girl (1930), Sunrise (1927), Nosferatu (1922) and Tabu (1931). Murnau may be one of the biggest silent directors in my world.

+

I really like The Last Laugh apart from the conclusion which I feel is rather overblown, A Dog's Life is quite charming and amusing. Both were in the mix but ultimately neither made my list.

Seen: 11/12
My list:

missed out on The Last Laugh even though I do enjoy Murnau and A Dog's Life was at #14 for me. It actually beat out my favorite short; The Rink for a position in my List.

wrote this about it in the 4th Short Film Hall of Fame where it took first place:

Charlie Chaplin; A Dog's Life I have, and always will adore Chaplin. Especially his shorts, and this was a truly great one. It contains all the magic that I've enjoyed with him. Taking on bullies, falling in love, getting in and out of scrapes and a wonderful happy ending.
One amusing bit I noticed, the city block they used was the exact same one they had in Easy Street and possibly one or two others. Kinda cool that.

MY LIST: Seen 6 out of 12 (50%)
8) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#41)
14) A Dog's Life (#39)
16) The Man Who Laughs (#48)
22) Underworld (#47)
25) The Iron Mask (One Pointer)