Modern sci fi movie to watch tonight?

Tools    

Hello everyone,
I live with a group of guys and we’ve been on the sci fi thriller train lately and want to watch another so we are looking for suggestions. Movies we’ve watched recently that we’ve enjoyed are Ex Machina (one of our new favorites), interstellar, arrival (rewatches but always entertaining). I know those are probably the 3 most popular movies in this category but we those are just ones we’ve watched recently.

A few lesser profile ones you may or may not find some enjoyment in.....

Automata (2014)
The Machine (2013)
The Signal (2014)

A system of cells interlinked
I have High Life in queue to watch, but all my film watching time this October is taken up by the 31 in 31 challenge, so I will probably watch it in early November.

I enjoyed it but I'm not sure the average SciFi movie watcher would.
Perhaps not but I'd say enjoying Ex Machina perhaps points in the same kind of direction although High Life is more extreme in style and content.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Dagnabbit! Chypmunk done fooled me again!

The Signal (2007!) - Kind of a B movie, but an entertaining 3-point perspective on the end of the world. The movie is told in 3 parts, one from three different people with overlapping ties. There is a dark humor to help round the edges.

12 Moneys Monkeys - If you haven't already seen it 20 times, you probably should. (smart asses, lol)

Cloverfield - Older and maybe more on the horror side, but should be a fun beer night movie to yell at the screen with.

Upgrade - Listed already, earlier, but also has that B sci-fi action guy kinda vibe.

Hardcore Henry - If you can get past the cheese and first-person PoV, this one is great fun. COD or FPS gamers should adapt well.

District 9 - Shrimp bugs?

Starship Troopers - More B bugs.

Spectral (Netflix, 2016) - Decent story and great effects considering the Netflix release. A bit weak in acting, but if this is your genre then you might enjoy it. It borders on classic anime style development with sinister tech doing techie-sinister things.

Triangle (2009) - Another borderline B sci-fi-ish/supernatural mystery thing, but should be fun for a group to cheer along.

OKOK. Moving on from the B rating...

Moon - A bit slow compared to previously listed suggestions, but absolutely brilliant for what it is.

Serenity (2005) - Whether you've seen the Firefly series or not, this movie stands alone very well. It's not a heady movie by any means, but the characters are believable for as silly as the concept may be and the visuals are actually quite nice. Great sci-fi popcorn fun IMO.

Super 8 - J.J. Abrams???

Dredd (2012) - Not Stallone and gorgeous effects.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Hello everyone,
I live with a group of guys and we’ve been on the sci fi thriller train...
Then Snowpiercer, a sci fi thriller set on a futuristic train is your ticket to an icy nirvana....It's fun & it's creative.

Serenity (2005) - Whether you've seen the Firefly series or not, this movie stands alone very well
I strongly recommend not watching Serenity before you've seen the Firefly tv show.
Actually found out here on MoFo that it does not stand alone very well at all.

I really liked this.

The Machine (2013)
Not quite as good but I'd recommend this too.

I haven't seen many films at all lately. The last decent sci-fi film I watched was Pandorum (2009).

Has anyone seen Aniara (Netflix, 2019)? I thought I had, but I'm not recognizing the trailer! How many other foreign language sci-fi flicks about people on a transport ship gone wrong are on Netflix?!

I've finally started watching Battlefield Earth (2000) - a movie I've longed to see based on its infamous reputation.
But no one told me it was a comedy! It's almost as entertaining as Spaceballs! And Travolta is funnier than Rick Moranis!

A system of cells interlinked
Has anyone seen Aniara (Netflix, 2019)? I thought I had, but I'm not recognizing the trailer! How many other foreign language sci-fi flicks about people on a transport ship gone wrong are on Netflix?!
A couple of things...

1 - I want to see this.

2 - It's not on Netflix in the US, which is total bull****!

Please send help!

Yes. I mentioned it in the 4th post. It's very, very low budget and extremely nihilistic. But I really enjoyed it.

A couple of things...

1 - I want to see this.

2 - It's not on Netflix in the US, which is total bull****!

Please send help!

wait. It's not?? I swear I had seen it on Netflix! WTF AM I THINKING OF THEN!?!! lol.