Joker origin Movie

Tools    

A bucket of anxiety
Because you personally didn't get anything out of it, the film is a waste of everyone's time? Get a grip.
I said because it was likely to be forgotten not because no one enjoyed it.

Welcome to the human race...
I don't think it's liable to be forgotten anytime soon, though. Not only does it have an iconic character with an extensive fanbase in it but it's got a reputation for being Good Actually (to the point of winning festival awards and generating award season buzz in addition to apparently pleasing most people who watch it). Even without any controversy or negative reassessment, it's bound to stick around at this rate.

I said because it was likely to be forgotten not because no one enjoyed it.
You might "forget" it (which I find doubtful since you hated it so much), but you're still in no position to speak for everyone else.

Given the buzz around it and the fact that, like it or not, it is attached to a beloved character with a huge fanbase, it's extremely unlikely to be forgotten any time soon if ever.

So once again, get a grip.

A bucket of anxiety
You might "forget" it (which I find doubtful since you hated it so much), but you're still in no position to speak for everyone else.

Given the buzz around it and the fact that, like it or not, it is attached to a beloved character with a huge fanbase, it's extremely unlikely to be forgotten any time soon if ever.

So once again, get a grip.
Okay, I literally forgot it was Joker movie.

Okay, I literally forgot it was Joker movie.
You forgot that a movie called Joker - which is being discussed in a thread titled "Joker Origin Movie" - is about The Joker?

Sounds like a personal problem.

She was trying to say she forgot it was a fictional comic book character that is largely know because of that fact, she forgot that because the film is more focused on what can be called a real world with all the characteristics: real violence, real mental illness, real city careless, etc. something that I’m not sure if was ever done on any movie of the genera, they tend or actually all are fictional, so Scorcese should just shut up and watch this film.

A bucket of anxiety
You forgot that a movie called Joker - which is being discussed in a thread titled "Joker Origin Movie" - is about The Joker?

Sounds like a personal problem.
Well yeah, like Joao said, it's so down to Earth it's barely a Joker movie at all. I even forgot where The Batman was set (I believed it was set in New York) until they called it Gotham and I was taken out of the film.

Well yeah, like Joao said, it's so down to Earth it's barely a Joker movie at all. I even forgot where The Batman was set (I believed it was set in New York) until they called it Gotham and I was taken out of the film.
I always root for the underdog, so I commend you're being the "last man out" in being alone in disliking the Joker movie. I haven't seen it, so can't give an opinion, but always admire those with the courage to stand alone and stand by their convictions.

The positive reviews make me want to see it, but somehow an opposing view (creating controversy) makes me want to see it even more!

I always root for the underdog, so I commend you're being the "last man out" in being alone in disliking the Joker movie.
Except she isn’t alone in disliking it. Iro didn’t like it either. What sets her apart is the ridiculous claim that the film wasted everyone’s time and that it’ll be forgotten in a year.

Question: Did you watch the trailers before you saw the movie? What exactly were you expecting going into that theater?

I watched them and it was pretty clear to me that it was going to highly favor realism and wasn’t going to be just another comic book movie - which was a big part of the film’s appeal for me.

It seems to me that you either missed the obvious cues and have only yourself to blame for that disappointment or you didn’t bother to find out any details about the film ahead of time and have only yourself to blame for your disappointment. You wasted your own time.

Like me in my hate for 12 Angry Men
Actually, I was going to compare @Ami-Scythe to Henry Fonda's character in that movie!
If we listen to her long enough, we'll all end up thinking Joker sucked!

"You're not going to intimidate me, I have a right to my opinion... Rotten MOVIES... you work your life out! (tears up admission ticket to Joker - starts weeping)... not... guilty... not... guilty."

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I didn't really like Joker either. My rating was a
based on the performance alone. The movie was kinda bad if you ask me. The gravity of Phoenix's performance seems to suck everything else in, to the point there is not much discussion of anything else. Throw in the fact that Phillips has "cut and paste" a bunch of old things to make this, makes it even less impressive.

The Gary Glitter staircase? How did that not just completely stop the movie in its tracks, no matter how great the novelty?

I can say that the only movie that comes close in cheer plot extensiveness and superb acting is The Dark knight, in these films you feel that there s something different something visceral when it comes to the cheer illness that joker suffers from , the first batman film of 1989 has some moments of great mental illness shown on screen, but joker and the dark knight i guess go kneck and kneck

@doubledenim there is more to talk. The filming in general is very good, and I think people are blinded by the previews work Todd did, and by the plot. I mean the cinematography is very good, the way they filmed in various places of NY and Philly, the soundtrack by Hildur is very good also, the absence of sound like in the opining scene is very good as well, how they filmed most scenes is near perfection. Joaquin is great, yes, but it's not just it.

A bucket of anxiety
Question: Did you watch the trailers before you saw the movie? What exactly were you expecting going into that theater?

I watched them and it was pretty clear to me that it was going to highly favor realism and wasn’t going to be just another comic book movie - which was a big part of the film’s appeal for me.

It seems to me that you either missed the obvious cues and have only yourself to blame for that disappointment or you didn’t bother to find out any details about the film ahead of time and have only yourself to blame for your disappointment. You wasted your own time.
Trailers have been spoiling movies lately so yeah, I didn't watch them. The only one I saw was the one hyping it up as if it was going to be some kind of slasher film. I also didn't look up what the movie was going to be about because I think that spoils the film in a way too. I wasn't expecting a complete gore fest but I did want something just a little bit more Joker-y. Just tiny little things that either did or didn't happen were the things that disappointed me. Like, a little blue and purple in the city would've helped. Anything to make it plausible that it's Gotham. It's Gotham. How seriously can I take the film when you put that name on it regardless of what I had already known about it? It can't be that far-fetched to want it to at least look like anything that has a seductive vine lady with poison kisses in it. I'm sorry, but that's just inescapable knowledge. Same way a guy with experience in the war can't stomach an inaccurate war movie, I can't stomach an inaccurate comic book movie, and by the end of the day, it's comic book movie so...

A bucket of anxiety
Actually, I was going to compare @Ami-Scythe to Henry Fonda's character in that movie!
If we listen to her long enough, we'll all end up thinking Joker sucked!

"You're not going to intimidate me, I have a right to my opinion... Rotten MOVIES... you work your life out! (tears up admission ticket to Joker - starts weeping)... not... guilty... not... guilty."
I wouldn't go that far lol. I think it's just a bad week combined with being a massive nerd.

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
I'm all for everybody that likes this movie. I just think it pales in fluidity and story/script. I can't give a lot of credit for the cinematography, because I think he had so many templates to pull from.

Phillips basically Trojan-horsed his 70's style crime movie by attaching the Joker. It is something that we will probably see more of in the future. Pushing a niche movie by attaching a major established character.

Trailers have been spoiling movies lately so yeah, I didn't watch them... I also didn't look up what the movie was going to be about because I think that spoils the film in a way too.
So, again, you have only yourself to blame for time wasted and those particular expectations not being met.

If you strip away its social/political statements and the heavy influence/ripoff of Martin Scorsese, the basic idea of the film - which was obvious from the first two trailers and you would have known if you'd bothered to watch them - is to show how a maniacal villain like The Joker could come to exist in the real world.

Dislike the film all you want. Dislike the idea of a hyper-realistic Joker all you want. You have every right to hate it. But I don't think it's fair to call any movie "bad" just because you don't like what that movie is trying to do. And it's certainly not your place to say how everyone else is going to feel about it down the line.

It's not the fault of the movie that you went into it blind. It's not the fault of the movie that you - for whatever reason - expected more plot from a character study. It's not the fault of the movie that you and your husband don't have a car. It's not the fault of the movie that you've had a bad week. It's not the fault of the movie that you're "such a nerd" that you can't accept a different interpretation of the character and the world he exists in. There are plenty of other "nerds" that have gladly accepted it - search "Joker review" on YouTube and you'll see plenty of them absolutely gushing over it while being surrounded by figures and posters and other assorted comic paraphernalia.