Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Call Me By Your Name (2017)

This is far from the films I would usually watch and enjoy so I wasn't really expecting much. Only ever seen Chalamet once, in Beautiful Boy (in which he was amazing) and was never a fan of Hammer but I thought this was truly exceptional. Both actors were fantastic, along with Stuhlbarg, who's speech at the end was something else. The whole movie felt so authentic, from the setting to the soundtrack. What a great film.

It's great isn't it. Felt like it belonged in the 1960s classic bracket or something. The way Chalamet captured his true feelings is fantastic. (the end scene as he's facing the camera - sniff).

When Sufjan Steven's Mystery of Love played and they were just ambling about on the mountainside I was just overcome with how beautiful the film was. The camerawork and ambience when they are in the town square too - amazing.

Superb film.

Unregistered User
It's great isn't it. Felt like it belonged in the 1960s classic bracket or something. The way Chalamet captured his true feelings is fantastic. (the end scene as he's facing the camera - sniff).

When Sufjan Steven's Mystery of Love played and they were just ambling about on the mountainside I was just overcome with how beautiful the film was. The camerawork and ambience when they are in the town square too - amazing.

Superb film.

That was a great scene. I also loved the dance party scene, I think it was Love My Way, was playing, with Chamalet sat on the seat watching, so simple yet so much going on right there. Fantastic.

That was a great scene. I also loved the dance party scene, I think it was Love My Way, was playing, with Chamalet sat on the seat watching, so simple yet so much going on right there. Fantastic.
Yeah that is just great Direction. There's alot to be said about the absence of dialogue in this movie. Helps if you have actors as good as Chalamet though.

I love that Psychadelic Furs song too - always have done, when it came on I was like....

Greed (1924)

Maybe one of the greatest films that never was. Greed had a hard time making it to the silver screen. Director Erich von Stroheim shot 85 hours of film and spent 2 hours filming in Death Valley for what would end up being only a 20 minute segment. Stroheim spent a year editing the film down to an epic 8 hour length and that was a year of his life he wasn't paid for as his contract stipulate he wouldn't be paid for post production work.

Only 12 people on the planet ever saw the completed 8 hour epic that was once Greed. Several of those 12 called Greed the greatest film ever made. And that's where Greed's story turns sour as the studio hacked and hacked the film down until it was only a couple hours long. All of that editing was against the wishes of Stroheim. In the beginning of the version of Greed I just watched there's a quote from Stroheim who laments the misery he suffered as other's cut his opus down to size.

What we have today is a film that's worth watching but will never have the full effect Stroheim intended. I watched the 1 hour 50 minute restored version and it reminded me of Orson Welle's The Lady From Shanghai, in that both films are vastly interesting, but the pacing is off with missing scenes and choppy editing...editing that broke both director's hearts.

It's an 80's slasher, kind of, about a trio of kids born during a full eclipse who go nuts around their 10th(?) birthday and start killing all the adults in town. Starred Billy Jane who you may or may not remember as the young sex crazed brother in Just One of the Guys, K.C. Martel, the kid from E.T. who was always wearing headphones and Julie Brown of 80's Mtv fame who has a rather memorable scene in this (it's not Downtown JB, it's the JB who was in Earth Girls are Easy).

It was a little different, a little Bad Seed-ish flavor. Not terribly scary, but I'll ramp up the scares as we inch closer to Halloween.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

Joker (2019)

Rest easy, Hamill's crown is safe.

Booksmart (2019)

Rewatch for me, and it held up! I wanted my wife to see it and she enjoyed it as well. There are some weaker scenes and Beanie Feldstein wears on me a bit, but it's still a delightful comedy

'Ajami' (2009)

Directed by Scandar Copti & Yaron Shani

A very fine example of 'Hyperlink Cinema'. Interlocking stories with overlapping character arcs in the same vein as Babel, Amorres Perros or Pulp Fiction. Ajami is slightly different in that it is a film with no comedy or relief, and is a tale of revenge, death, hatred, crime, religion and separation, set in a very real life like situation on the outskirts of Tel Aviv, Israel.

Set in Israel, it depicts the lives of people that face suffering and violence every day, most of which is brought about by the very nature of the land in which they live. It's told in 4 separate chapters, each depicting a different storyline but with impact on the other 3. This was the Directors first ever feature and their only ever feature to date, so it's all the more remarkable that it's as accomplished as it is. The Jewish-Palestinian Directing team (Scandar Copti and Yaron Shani) itself mirrors some of the themes in the film. Namely Co-existence and religious difference.

The actors are mostly non professionals. Time and time again in these types of films we see stand out performances from inexperienced actors absolutely nail their parts like they do here. Maybe it's because they have some experience of the subject matter. Maybe it's because they are just being themselves. Maybe it's because the Director has a skill that brings the best out in them. Either way it worked.

Towards the end there is one part of the story that didn't fit. It felt too forced. Too deliberately placed to move the plot to where it needed to go. That's a small criticism in an otherwise fine movie though.

Other than the performances, the strength of this movie is not to be too preachy ("why can't we all get along and leave our differences behind us etc etc etc"), but instead it just tells us what is going on, and why there is so much pent up anger and hatred among the people that live in Tel Aviv. It offers no real solution to the problems. No conundrums or ambiguity. No moral dilemmas that we have to analyse after the credits roll. It just tells it like it is. Well worth watching this film though if you enjoy world cinema.

7.8/10

JOKER
(2019)

“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Flesh and the Devil (1926)

-

I like melodramas so I figured I'd like this. It felt more modern than most of the other silents I've watched for whatever reason, and it also seemed classier. I liked Greta Garbo more than in her later roles, probably because I couldn't hear her voice. It could have used a little more excitement but it was very good.

A Most Violent Year (2014)

All my life I've been trying not to be a gangster

In 1981, the most dangerous year in New York's history, a businessman struggles to uphold his righteous code whilst his oil is being stolen and the police are gunning for him.. Brilliantly crafted cinema brimming with suspense and fantastic performances from Oscar Isaac, Jessica Chastain, David Oyelowo and all involved.

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Enjoyed this. Henry Rollins is Jack and he never died. He's just been walking the earth forever and nowadays he's taking on small time mafia sorts who have kidnapped his daughter. A daughter he barely knows and really doesn't like. Very unusual film that has much more to offer than simply a kidnap and rescue story. Rollins gives kind of a darkly comic one-note performance that I can see grating on some people but it worked for me.