Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

The Iron Horse (1924)

John Ford's first major movie is on the top 100 westerns list. It's 2 1/2 hours long and is excellent all the way through. It's about the building of America's first transcontinental railroad and the various dramas that could have went with it. I'm not sure of any historical accuracy but I still felt like I was watching a piece of history.

L'Inferno (Francesco Bertolini, Adolfo Padovan & Giuseppe de Liguoro, 1911)
+
Proof, as if it were needed, that the mankini is of hellish origin

Incident in a Ghostland (2018)

-

From the director of Martyrs except this one is in English. That movie has the reputation as a thought provoking mind bender, and I think the director tried to do too much with this one. There's too much blending of horror elements; home invasion, ghosts, scary dolls, scary dog, creepy house, psychological, nightmares, the blending of what's real and what's not, and the movie ends up being a chore to follow. It's made well and it's not a bad ride, but I thought it was a mess.

A glossy b-movie that was a bit of a wasted opportunity. Good premise but with a movie like this they should have turned it up to 11 (I'm talking about the gore of course). A group of Airborne are dropped in behind enemy lines to take down a communication tower. What they find are the Nazi's conducting experiments which reanimates dead folks. Some of the fx looked pretty bad, the Nazi Colonels face being the worst of it. It's not bad it but could have been a really good exploitation flick in the wrong hands.

The Sisters Brothers (2018) by Jacques Audiard

My third film by the French auteur Jacques Audiard was a finely tuned sensitive western. Recent films like Moonlight (2016) by Barry Jenkins or Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013) by Abdellatif Kechiche brings gender roles and nonconformal ways of living into the mainstream of cinema. The Sisters Brothers should be seen in the light of the recent wave of queer cinema, and the film as such conveys the childhood trauma and shame of hardened cowboys. Its an original take on the western genre and i would think that theoretical feminist pioneers such as Kimberlé Crenshaw and Judith Butler would be proud of the portrayal of The Sisters Brothers. Besides the original take on the western genre, The Sisters Brothers, was also quite entertaining with some riveting gunfight scenes and a compelling narrative.

Highly recommended

Snooze factor = Zzzz

Snooze factor = Zzz

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

The Perfect Alibi [aka Alibi] (Roland West, 1929)

Still provides some entertainment despite a few sound issues and the lead playing it way over the top at times

Stan & Ollie (2018)

There hasn't been a recent film that I have enjoyed more than this sweet movie in tribute to the legendary performers Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy. The irony is, I was never the biggest fan of their movies, especially the slapstick. And still I loved their personas and their interaction, and the dance routines that were timelessly funny. I also first 'knew' of the duo not by their films, but through the reference- and reverence- paid to them by performers I so admired, like Dick Van Dyke and Johnny Carson. I' m sure they influenced generations of comics, I surely see Hardy in Jackie Gleason scenerios; and it is said Abbot and Costello were a later incarnation of the duo. In fact, they likely seeded many comedic scenes- movies, tv, stand up- where two hapless fellows , one more foolish than the other, bumbled their way through pratfalls, mishaps, confusion and exasperation.

Although the movie starts with a brief but riveting scene set at the time when they were the biggest hits in entertainment, it is all about their later years, a time past glory. They've been estranged for years, but join together in the nineteen fifties, on a tour that is hoped to gather audience attention, and more importantly, to snag them a role in a movie that would re ignite their careers. And although they both have found lasting love at this later stage in life, financial security has escaped them. So it seems initially, that this tour is basically all about business , rather than the love of the dance. So they go on tour - and one feels immersed in the lovely landscapes of post war England, beautifully photographed - playing to third rate venues and near empty seats. We are also introduced to two strong women, the wives of S & O, in performances as captivating as the superlative work of the two stars, Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly. I will not spoil the plot of the film except to say that the two men are heading towards a confrontation with each other that had been brewing for years. And that the rivalry and simmering resentment is lined by another moment between the wives, that is guaranteed to bring tears to your eyes. And also, as they tour Great Britain, more and more folks are being drawn to the shows, and the once tawdry halls are being replaced by elegant theatres with a full house.

What I most remember about the film is this wonderful portrayal of two men who are putting on new shows, way past their prime, but rediscovering the magic of their art - and each other. It is interesting that the people they are in real life are almost the opposite of each other on stage. Ollie is referred to by his nickname Babe, he is the people pleaser, the gentle soul. Stan is the sharp tack, with harder edges, the main writer of their routines, and a man of quick wit. And the original scenes from the 'real' S&O routines are seamlessly integrated into the plot, in a manner that is elegant, funny, and entrancing.

And the gentle heart that propels the film left a warm feeling in me for days, weeks after viewing. One of those films I would definitely see again. Although the passage of time in the film ( as much a character as Stan and Ollie) could give the movie a twinge of bittersweet sadness, it is a work of joy. Perhaps
because ( at least for this viewer) this movie asks - AND answers - three timeless questions:

-What is friendship?

-Is the performer most in love with the art, themselves , or the audience ?

-And when you add up the total of a life, to what is the artist most bound?

Here's the crib notes from my point of view:

- it is not the family you were born with, it's the family you choose.

- Yes, yes, and yes.

-Commence to dancing

Rounders (1998) - John Dahl

- 2nd watch. Terrific movie. You simply cannot miss with Ed Norton and Matt Damon in lead roles. Storyline is highly entertaining and ending is great. Love it.

Gattaca (1997)

Going into this, I thought the premise was great and the cast was solid to back it up. However, it's lacking some special element to make it a superb movie. I enjoyed it, but I don't think I'll ever rewatch it, and I don't think anyone with no interest in the subject matter would find it too appealing either.