BBC airs interview of Indian rapist ; India fears for it's image

Tools    

Copy/paste---

India fails to silence a BBC film exposing the New Delhi bus gang rape

Her ringing voice, which faced down opponent after opponent this week, has gone ragged. Leslee Udwin, who has spent the past two years producing a searing documentary that examines the cultural underpinnings of a shocking Delhi gang rape that ushered in a painful bout of soul searching in India, conceded as much. “I’m hoarse,” she told the BBC on Thursday as controversy over her movie roiled the subcontinent. “But I’m not muzzled. Nor will I be muzzled.”

Indian officials are doing everything they can to prove her wrong. “We can ban the film in India,” the country’s parliamentary affairs minister M. Venkaiah Naidu said. “But this is an international conspiracy to defame India. We will see how the film can be stopped abroad too.”

On Wednesday, the BBC nonetheless showed “India’s Daughter,” which sketches the troubling tale of a 23-year-old woman who was raped by six men inside a private bus, sustaining injuries so profound that she later died. In the film, one of the rapists in a jailhouse interview blamed the victim for what happened to her.

“When being raped, she shouldn’t fight back,” he said. “She should just be silent and allow the rape. Then they’d have dropped her off after ‘doing her’ and only hit the boy.”

For Indian officials, silencing the film appears to be a top priority though, in the era of ubiquitous social media and in a country that relishes it, little can actually be “banned.” Hundreds of thousands, if not more, have viewed the film on YouTube. And more than 300,000 people watched in the United Kingdom on Wednesday. “In fact, the government’s strenuous efforts appear to have only helped to give the film publicity,” the Times of India said.

These efforts include: sending threatening legal notices to the BBC. Sending legal notices to Google and YouTube. Assembling something called the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team. Summoning officials associated with the BBC New Delhi to the local police station. And warning, according to the Hindu, that Udwin will soon be subjected to “examination by senior officials.”

“I’m very frightened what’s going to happen next,” Udwin told India’s NDTV, according to the Guardian, before she caught a flight out of the country. “I predict the whole world will point fingers at India now. It’s a tragedy – you’re shooting yourself in the foot.”

The Indian government contends Udwin violated any number of agreements, which range from the extremely granular to mildly granular. It claims Udwin agreed the film wouldn’t be put to a commercial end, but then sold the film to the BBC and gave it permission to profit from its release. “No necessary approval was taken by the BBC for the commercial use of the documentary,” a Home Ministry official told the Hindu. “We have served the notice and are awaiting for its response. Further action is awaited.” Another lawmaker said this week he thought the interviews were intended for “a study and an inquiry” and wasn’t sure how “it got into the public arena.”

Prison officials who signed off on Udwin’s interview – who themselves are now subject to government criticism – have alleged that Udwin didn’t allow them to fully vet the content of the interview she captured. Udwin has denied that allegation, saying that she did fork over the full 16 hours of “raw, unedited footage,” but the was told by the officials that “We can’t sit through all of this; it’s too long.” So, she told the Guardian, “I submitted an edited version which was cleared.”

Home Ministry officials claim she deliberately misled them and wasn’t transparent with her intentions when applying to interview the bus gang-rapist. According to anonymous officials interviewed by India’s Economic Times, the filmmaker said she was seeking to interview numerous convicts related to “atrocities against women.”

But, the official said, “her sole intention, it seems, was to interview [that] convict – which she didn’t reveal to the home ministry or [jail] authorities while seeking a nod,” an anonymous official told India’s Economic Times. “She filmed half-a-dozen convicts in Tihar but only [rapist] Mukesh Singh’s interview has made it into the documentary.” He lamented the fact Udwin was allowed to leave India, calling it a “goof up. … We wanted to ask Udwin why interviews of no other convict is there in the documentary.”

Udwin, who didn’t return to a request for comment left by The Washington Post on Thursday evening, has also come under some criticism by the family of the victim. The father of the victim, according to the Times of India, has expressed unease over the unveiling of his daughter’s identity. “Despite clearly telling them not to make the name and photo of our daughter public, they have gone ahead with it and this is not right,” the newspaper quoted him saying. “We will take legal action against this.” He has, however, called for everyone to see the movie, calling it a “bitter truth.”

Amid the raging controversy, the Indian government has failed to get the film removed from YouTube and Google – though, confusingly, some officials seem to think they have succeeded. “We got the court notices this morning,” Gulshan Rai, director general of the Indian Computer Emergency Response Team, told the Hindu on Friday morning. “We served it on Google and YouTube and they have removed the documentary from their servers.” (Actually, they haven’t.) “Like Ravana, Internet is a multi-headed entity,” he said. “If we remove some content from a website, it might appear on other URLs on another server.”

And so, “millions” of people are ringing up views of the documentary on YouTube, according to the Times of India. As one blogger put it after viewing the video: “If the government of India wanted to minimize the viewing of this documentary,” Lauren Weinstein wrote, “they blew it big time.”

Correction: An earlier version of this article said Leslee Udmin fled the country under fear of arrest. After the article was published, she said she left on a scheduled flight.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...bus-gang-rape/

wanabe movie critique
The world deserves to know the truth!

Thanks for posting this, ashdoc. I knew they were showing it on the BBC but I didn't know I'd missed it. Just watched it on iPlayer. For those who can't get iPlayer (it's on there until wednesday) it's on youtube, too.

There's so much talk about her interviewing one of the rapists, but he's not the one who said the most damning things in the film, IMO. He pretty says what you'd expect.

How on earth did the Indian Government think they were going to remove it from the internet? very naive.
It's a terrible story. The Indian Governmant should be taking the story, publicising it even more and building on the work they have started to make on changing attitudes

How on earth did the Indian Government think they were going to remove it from the internet? very naive.
It's a terrible story. The Indian Governmant should be taking the story, publicising it even more and building on the work they have started to make on changing attitudes
The reason for this is the fact that many Indians think that India is unfairly selected too many times to be projected as violent backward and poor by the western press , for this poverty backwardness and violence is not just present in India but is all to common in the third world .

But would the western media make such a story on Africa ?? No , because the africans would cry , racism !! we are being targetted because of our black race .

Would the western press do such a story on Islamic nations ?? No , because the muslims would say we are being targetted because of our religion....communalism !!

would the western media do such a story on china ?? no , because china is a closed dictatorship and would not allow such a story to be filmed .

on the other hand , india is a democracy and all it's institutions including jails are easily accessible . the hindu people are mild and do not object violently to being stereotyped as primitive and barbaric . and the feeling is increasingly gaining ground that the western media targets india because it is the only country that does not mind being targetted in this manner .

Firstly, propaganda of rape worse than rape? Um... No. No it isn't. Secondly, those are reported rapes. We know how rape is sometimes handled by the police here in the UK and that while rapes are reported far more than they were 20 or 30 years ago, they still go unreported, in part, because of the way the women involved feel they'll be treated/looked at,

We currently have a big child abuse case over here which has shown that these kids were let down at every level of authority in their lives. Partly because of who they were (often kids in care), incompetence, negligence or covering their own backsides.

Also, there are plenty of documentaries about rapes and the treatment of women in all those countries/societies and more.

Lastly, being a democracy means being open. It's a good thing, but it does mean admitting your failings and flaws. Rather than being defensive about it, the country would be better off trying to change it. Or, saying we know it happens and we don't care and damn the consequences.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Also, many rapes aren't reported, for fear, shame, etc.. I also don't see how more American rapes change or make things better for Indian women. I also think that it's more rare for rape to be reported in India and conservative nations in general.

With respect Ashdoc, like HK says those are reported rapes. It's only when a culture sees rape as the disgusting act it is that women feel able to report these crimes to the police. If it's the women that are blamed when they're raped it's not surprising they're not reported. If the families feel shame at what's happened to their women it's not surprising it's covered up. Propaganda isn't worse than rape - propaganda is what should be used by governments to change attitudes.

The Indian government should be ashamed they have tried to stop this documentary. They could've turned everything around and used it as a tool for education. It's a lost opportunity.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
> the woman got raped by this guy!
> she commited adultery!
> stone her to death!

them orthodox muslims, tho
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

> the woman got raped by this guy!
> she commited adultery!
> stone her to death!

them orthodox muslims, tho
both the rapist and victim belonged to the hindu religion .

thats the reason why the documentary was made . if the rapist was a muslim , the documentary would have never been made , for the BBC would have been tagged as ' communal ' .

only the hindus are willing to get bashed in this mannner .

With respect Ashdoc, like HK says those are reported rapes. It's only when a culture sees rape as the disgusting act it is that women feel able to report these crimes to the police. If it's the women that are blamed when they're raped it's not surprising they're not reported. If the families feel shame at what's happened to their women it's not surprising it's covered up. Propaganda isn't worse than rape - propaganda is what should be used by governments to change attitudes.

The Indian government should be ashamed they have tried to stop this documentary. They could've turned everything around and used it as a tool for education. It's a lost opportunity.
i haven't seen the documentary , but i have heard that even the victim's name was told in the film . actually in india the victim's name is hidden due to the shame associated with the act , but the BBC does not even care about that .

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/...rital-rape.cnn

one more video raping india's image produced by the west---this time it's a short video .

i think the publicity of the BBC video may spawn an industry of 'india rape' videos in the west . this is just the beginnning .

Ashdoc, I don't think you know about the full extent of documentaries produced by the BBC and other UK tv channels. There's plenty unveiling inhumanities from countries around the world but most of the social documentaries concentrate on injustices within the UK . There's plenty criticising our own government and local authorities and institutions. We need to have the freedom to show our disapproval, that's what a democracy is about don't you think so?

Leaving aside religion , I saw on news reports mass demonstrations when this brutal rape happened . Don't you think if more people expressed their disapproval of some of the communities attitudes towards women then that would prompt the government to do something about it instead of wasting their energy trying to ban one documentary?

This is coming across to the world outside India as a massive defensive move as if there's nothing wrong. As HK said in his post at the moment in the UK there's a huge story about the exploitation of children who are in care. Vulnerable girls and boys have been preyed upon for sex by manipulative people. This is all coming out into the open now and society is better for that as in future more openness can only lead to children being cared for better. There's another story about terrible treatment of elderly people in care homes - a lot of these stories are first highlighted to the general public by tv and radio documentaries.

Also Ashdoc, don't be paranoid about thinking that the press in the UK is full of stories about bad things in India cos it's not. Of course your country has it's struggles with poverty but I've read plenty of good news stories about India too.

As expected , India's image has taken a beating and an Indian student has been denied admission in Germany 'because Indian men are rapists ' or words implying as such

NEW DELHI: A professor in Germany on Monday apologised for refusing an Indian male student an internship because of his country's "rape problem", after the German ambassador to India condemned the incident.

Annette Beck-Sickinger, a professor at Leipzig University, expressed regret after her emails refusing the Indian man surfaced on social media, causing a wave of anger.

The incident prompted Germany's ambassador to India Michael Steiner to write a letter objecting to her "oversimplifying and discriminating generalisation" of Indian men.

Beck-Sickinger wrote in an email on Sunday that she did not "accept any Indian male students for internships" as she heard "a lot about the rape problem in India".

"I have many female friends in my group, so I think this attitude is something I cannot support," she wrote to the Indian student, whose identity has not been revealed.

He replied asking for the reasoning behind her "painful generalisations" and "hurtful words".

In a statement uploaded on the German embassy website, the professor apologised saying: "I have made a mistake. I sincerely apologise to everyone whose feelings I have hurt."

The incident comes after a government order to ban the broadcast of a documentary about the December 2012 fatal gang-rape of a young student in New Delhi has reignited debate on the safety of women in India.

India has seen an outpouring of anger over the frightening levels of violence against women since the attack, which sent shockwaves around the world.

In his letter, Steiner asked the professor to "correct a simplistic image (of India) which -- in my opinion -- is particularly unsuitable for a professor and teacher".

"Your oversimplifying and discriminating generalisation is an offense... to millions of law-abiding, tolerant, open-minded and hard-working Indians," he wrote in a letter uploaded on the German embassy website.

"Let's be clear: India is not a country of rapists."

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/46505524.cms

I've just watched this documentary and Ashdoc seriously it's sickening. It's shameful that there's lawyers practising that could utter such words like: girls on the streets are like food, and : if a daughter of mine went out with a boyfriend I would take her to a farmhouse and pour petrol on her and set her on fire. How can you have a judicial system operating like that? I found the whole thing really upsetting. My heart goes out to the girls mum and dad.

I've just watched this documentary and Ashdoc seriously it's sickening. It's shameful that there's lawyers practising that could utter such words like: girls on the streets are like food, and : if a daughter of mine went out with a boyfriend I would take her to a farmhouse and pour petrol on her and set her on fire. How can you have a judicial system operating like that? I found the whole thing really upsetting. My heart goes out to the girls mum and dad.
the rate of honour killings ( that's what the lawyer said that he would do if his daughter had a boyfriend ) is more in islamic nations than in india .

but if a muslim person said this , the whole media goes to extraordinary lengths to suppress the news for fear of being labelled as islamophobic.

this time it is politically correct to show the lawyers rants because he is a hindu . hindus dont complain about being demonized ; at least they dont complain violently .

and what kind of lawyer would defend a proven rapist and psychopath who murdered the girl after being raped . other indian lawyers are not like that .