Recommend an uplifting, light film?

Tools    

I'm not sure exactly what to make of the "uplifting, light" criteria (comedies only, drama, musicals, what???), but generally I'd say take a look at Charade (1963), A Hard Day's Night (1965), What's Up, Doc? (1972), The Three Musketeers & The Four Musketeers (1974 & 1975), Heaven Can Wait (1978), Breaking Away (1979), My Favorite Year (1982), All of Me (1984), The Princess Bride (1987), Hear My Song (1991), The Man Who Knew Too Little (1997) or The Straight Story (1999). That's a pretty wide group to choose from, all fitting what it basically seems you're looking for.

Or not.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I am having a nervous breakdance
"Persona", Ingmar Bergman

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

shoot me for this, but whenever i'm feeling crappy i watch 10 things i hate about you

What About Bob.......

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

Well, when I read the words light and uplifting I immediately thought Amelie, but I don't know. Everyone else seems to be suggesting other sorts of stuff. When I need to be happy I watch Amelie. So there.

Amelie does my soul a lot of good too, but I didn't include it because subtitiles turn so many people off and they tend to think of them as extra work, which isn't exactly a 'light' experience. Of course those people are morons, but just the same. Also, in the prudish United States of America here, Amelie was slapped with an R-rating (believe it or not), for the glimpses of the fourteen orgasmic couples, Joseph & Georgette banging the Two Windmills' cups around, and the few scenes set in the sex shop.

i loved amelie, maybe i'll rent it again tonight.

i've seen most everything that was recommended, but thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Put me in your pocket...
Here's some addional movies, although you've probably already seen most of these also. But you never know....

About a Boy
Addicted to Love
Analyze This
Bedazzled
The Birdcage
Bowfinger
Big
Bridget Jones's Diary
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
The First Wives Club
A Fish Called Wanda
Galaxy Quest
Green Card
HouseSitter
Legally Blonde
The Mask
Moonstruck
Meet the Parents
Much Ado About Nothing
My Best Friends Wedding
Parenthood
Roxanne
Ruthless People
Serendipity
Tommy Boy
The Truth About Cats and Dogs
While You Were Sleeping
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

There are alot of other family type movies that are also great, like but I’m not sure if you’d be interested.

rushing to the video store to hire out..............Amelie.........

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally posted by Holden Pike
PLANES, Trains & Automobiles. They start on a plane, right? Then they get on a train. Then they rent a car. Why is this so tough to remember?

I spent last night in a cell thanks to the mispronounced movie title police. I'm so sorry, I'll never do it again mr.......

Would that that were true.

And while I could plainly see you didn't know the order of the words in the title, I didn't realize that you can't pronounce them correctly either. Try sounding them out one syllable at a time. Get hooked on phonics!

my personal favorite is 'kiki's delivery service' (1989), that's a movie i'm always in the mood to watch.
another good one is 'the king of hearts' (1966), very cute.
track down something by buster keaton ('steamboat bill, jr.' (1928) especially)
also see 'modern times' (1936).
'the 5,000 fingers of dr. t.' (1953), is one of my very favorite movies, and a musical to boot.
lastly a couple of odd "light-hearted" movies by zhang yimou, 'the road home' and 'not one less' (both 1999), both very fun movies. 'not one less' is the more thought-provoking of the two, so you if you avoid one of them, it should be that one (but really, they're both very watchable, not too cerebral, and certainly "uplifting", at least that's how i'd characterize them).
i also just watched "teen wolf" and "a shot in the dark", both of which probably fit your meaning of "light" (not sure how uplifting teen wolf is though ), so you might want to give them a try.

in doing this post, i'm going on the assumption that you'll still accept films that still have some strong criticism of their characters or of society as light and happy (if not always totally uplifting). hmm, maybe i should have categorized the titles in this entry...

A lot of the ones I like have already been named but these are a few more of my favorites…

Chocolat
Benny and Joon
Better Off Dead
Michael
A Life Less Ordinary

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally posted by Caitlyn
A lot of the ones I like have already been named but these are a few more of my favorites…

Better Off Dead

I WANT my TWO Dollars!!