Johnny Depp, cool guy or just up himself?

Tools    

Attack me all you like, for we had a Movie critic here in Oz - Bill Collins! Fuddy duddy old prick, only liked the "classics". They meant something back then, today is all about fluff, which half of it is, but some Movies of today, wipe the floor with the old classics. I've watched Movies from the 40's and 50's, can see the appeal, though most wouldn't come close to be called cinematic gold...more like, cinematic tin.
Hey Michael, so the beef here is about old films? so most films from the 40s and 50s aren't cinematic gold? but neither are most films from any decade. Some movies of today wipe the floor with the old classics - well conversely some of the old classics wipe the floor with modern films. Exactly what's the deal here - you don't like Depp as seen on this Letterman interview. I think it's fairly plain from his body language that he's uncomfortable, that he doesn't want to be there, that he's a fairly shy person? it looks an awful lot like that to me.

Anyway, unless something weird happens and he moves to our street or comes drinking in our local, I'm never going to become aquainted with him so I'll never know whether he's really cool or snobby or lovely or a complete dick, so until then I'll reserve judgement

The majority of discussions here are about Movies, whether they're good or bad, but, there is also many threads discussing actors and their private lives, be it...good or bad. So, how does one really know Mel Gibson or Linsay Lohan? We think we do. So, to your argument, no one should discuss the private lives of any star.

If I touched on a nerve I'm sorry, well no I'm not. I'm not going to apologize for what I believe is obvious to see. You're quite right, his political views, where he lives, who he marries are all for him to decide, so is my choice to write about it, and how I think the guy is stuck up and full of himself.

You look at Clint Eastwood, he's a Republican...that's what they say anyway. But seeing how he's been in the Movie Industry so long, no one's going to try to convince him otherwise. Mind you, Hollywood and it's love for democrat's is sickening. Talk about bias...**** me. I'm an Aussie, so maybe I shouldn't comment on American politics, but I already did.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
Well, I think I get why someone would think he is stuck up, but I think this criticism isn't valid at all. When Johnny was younger, he was in tabloids for his love affairs and his drug use. I get the impression that Johnny woke up one day and decided he wanted to be in the business long term and to do so, he needed to mellow and take care of himself.

I actually admire his life. France seems like a nice quiet place for him and probably affords him a life that isn't so watched. He did refer to those "lenses." As to his political opinions, he strikes me as a thoughtful man. He has settled down, seems to have a stable relationship, and he works hard. How is that "stuck up?'

When he was shooting Sweeney Todd, his daughter was taken ill. It was serious. Burton wasn't sure the film would be finished. Johnny rushed to France, was there for a while, his daughter got better, and he returned to work. After the film was over, it was reported (after the fact) that Johnny had called Disney and asked for his Sparrow costume to be shipped, and one day he turned up at the children's wing of the hospital (where his daughter had been treated), and entertained the kids as Sparrow. He also donated like 2 million dollars to the hospital.

As far as I'm concerned, that's the kind of guy I admire. This is a family man enjoying his riches and his fame and in many interviews, he often says he's incredibly "lucky" to be who he is.

Cool guy. That's my vote.

I didn't watch any of it. After a couple of weeks watching Letterman in the 90's, I got the schtick and was bored with it. After that, when it's been on, I've only watched for Drew. Interviewing really isn't Letterman's thing, but luckily, being interviewed has little to do with the reason famous people are interviewed on these chatshows.

BTW, I'm pretty sure that when Johnny Depp's daughter was taken ill, they were over here. I think she was taken to Great Ormond St Hospital. The rest of the story is true, though.

*Edit* Just adding an article concerning his daughter and Depp's (and Disney's) donation to GOSH.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbi...ghters-life.do

Semper Fooey
I watched none of the interview, but I've seen the beginning of various Depp interviews and always turned it off well before they were over because he is boring. I don't watch these things to get insight into actors. I watch them to be entertained. And most of these actors are not entertaining when they are not acting. Why would I or any of you care if he is a real guy or a snob? What has that got to do with his acting? If his behavior becomes really objectionable okay, like Mel Gibson, the profanity laced and possibly physically abusive hypocrite. Is that your problem, Michael? You don't like people dumping on Mel Gibson so you're trying to find something bad to say about Depp? And what does Clint Eastwood being a Republican have to do with Gibson? Nobody cares if Gibson is conservative, if he is, but I think he is more like a rightie nut than a conservative. What controversial things has Eastwood said? Did Eastwood blame the Jews for all the wars? Did Eastwood get in a situation where tapes were recorded that could potentially ruin any actor's career, no matter what their ideology was?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I just wanted to find out who was actually responding to the actual same thing that apparently caused this thread to be started. And no matter what you think you know, I would think that Depp and Letterman were anything but boring there. However, nothing anyone has said in this thread really surprises me much, and for that I'm a bit (well, only a little bit) sad.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I just wanted to find out who was actually responding to the actual same thing that apparently caused this thread to be started. And no matter what you think you know, I would think that Depp and Letterman were anything but boring there. However, nothing anyone has said in this thread really surprises me much, and for that I'm a bit (well, only a little bit) sad.
why are you sad? Because people didn't comment on the actual interview? Why can't this thread just naturally expand to a discussion on Depp?

As to the actual interview, yea, I could see if you thought it was boring, even though I enjoyed it because I enjoy Depp and I also enjoyed Letterman scrambling (the fish questions, lol). What did you want people to say? We're supposed to interpret Depp's behavior as stuck up or not and if we didn't, that makes you sad?

I watched the interview and I said what I thought of it. The views I have on Johnny Depp can only ever be based on the media, the same as everyone else. It's interesting though isn't it that different people are seeing exactly the same as me but we all interpret the same thing in different ways.
Of course Michael you are entitled to your opinion on how the media portrays Depp. You didn't touch on a nerve or need to apologise. Why would you? You posted a question so you can't be surprised that people respond with different views to yours. That's what messageboards are all about!
It's been quite interesting. I had no idea Depp was seen as stuck up, that surprised me.
As for an Aussie commenting on American politics, feel free but make sure you know your stuff cos people will come back atcha cos how much of what non-Americans know is media spin?!

I wasn't really apologizing, for I have no reason to.

American's rarely know about American politics, so I won't be out of place. I country whom preaches about the right to vote, and funnily enough, they have to do a media campaign to get people to the polling booths.

I watched none of the interview, but I've seen the beginning of various Depp interviews and always turned it off well before they were over because he is boring. I don't watch these things to get insight into actors. I watch them to be entertained. And most of these actors are not entertaining when they are not acting. Why would I or any of you care if he is a real guy or a snob? What has that got to do with his acting? If his behavior becomes really objectionable okay, like Mel Gibson, the profanity laced and possibly physically abusive hypocrite. Is that your problem, Michael? You don't like people dumping on Mel Gibson so you're trying to find something bad to say about Depp? And what does Clint Eastwood being a Republican have to do with Gibson? Nobody cares if Gibson is conservative, if he is, but I think he is more like a rightie nut than a conservative. What controversial things has Eastwood said? Did Eastwood blame the Jews for all the wars? Did Eastwood get in a situation where tapes were recorded that could potentially ruin any actor's career, no matter what their ideology was?
If you think I back Gibson, you need therapy my friend. I simply believe Depp is full of himself, like you are at times...no offence.

BTW, there were comments in which Eastwood sprouted during Obama's election campaign which had some "lefties" not to pleased.....look it up!

Semper Fooey
It's obvious from Michael's post #22 this was never really about Johnny Depp when he says "Hollywood and its love for democrats is sickening." The real purpose was to deflect from the firestorm semi Aussie Mel Gibson brought upon himself.

"How does anyone know Mel Gibson or Lindsay Lohan?" People don't criticise those two for the way they come across on talk shows. They criticize them for their self destructive behavior. Johnny Depp's bad-boy days were a long time ago.

I still haven't seen the interview and have no intention of doing so because it doesn't matter to me how Depp comes across talking to Letterman. The things Michael brings up about Depp on the Letterman show are trivial and no concern of mine.

Semper Fooey
I looked up those Eastwood comments on Obama. Pretty mild criticisim compared to what others have been saying. Obama is not a strong leader. He is entitled to his opinion and people are entitled to criticize him for saying it if they want. It's all about free speech. But language like Jews cause all the wars goes far beyond normal diiferences between conservatives and liberals. (I'm not getting into what Gibson said on the tapes because they haven't been authenticated so I'm not certain what actually came out of his mouth).

Do I acknowledge Mel Gibson is an Anti-Semite? Yes. Did I start a thread about Johnny Depp, and why I think he is up himself to take the pressure off Mel Gibson? you have to be kidding!

I'm curious as to why you think I'm some sought of Mel Gibson sympathizer? What, because I'm a Catholic? LOL!!!!

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
It just feels like you're looking for faults in Depp's personality, I don't understand why seeing that he is good at his job and, as a lot of people have already mentioned, he's a pretty private guy.

Debating weither Johnny Depp is a cool guy or just up himself seems like an odd subject to get so passionate about.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I think he's pretty cool. He was very receptive to Dave's questions and honest, and tried to throw in a joke when he could. He seems uncomfortable sitting there, but hey, whose heart wouldn't be pumping in that chair! He also takes huge chances in taking roles where he doesn't have to. I'm not a huge Depp fan or anything, but I think he's the real deal.

American's rarely know about American politics, so I won't be out of place. I country whom preaches about the right to vote, and funnily enough, they have to do a media campaign to get people to the polling booths.
As opposed to some other democracies, like Australia, where voting has to be made mandatory to ensure turnout? I don't see how that's better.

There's no conflict between the right to vote and the decision not to. I think it's silly when people don't vote, generally, but it's something most nations end up struggling with to varying degrees as they achieve a certain level of wealth, and it's largely proportionate to the day-to-day effects that one set of policies might have compared to the other, which isn't always massive.

But really, let's keep this about Johnny Depp, okay? No need to go taking slams at the lovely nation where this site's servers happen to reside, now.

M - I think you'll find that most people don't know and aren't even interested in their own country's politics never mind another country's affairs, otherwise you'd get better turnouts in elections. 65% in the UK election this year. Back in the 50s it was in the 80% range but it's been falling ever since.

If you're interested in American politics there's some very intelligent and knowledgable people on here including Yoda. There's quite a few wideranging threads about political issues on the miscellaneous board, like:

here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=19254

and here http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=22473

as well as many single issue political topics.

Why not start a thread about Australian politics? You've been going through some interesting leadership battles yourselves lately huh?