Words that describe Mel Gibson....you can only pick one!

Tools    

Deluded

I should of said one word that describes Mel Gibson, but who cares. More the Merrier I say!

Racist

Only one, huh? Then I'll go with "Obviouslyreallytroubledandhasbeenadisappointmenttothoseofuswhohaveadmiredhiswork."
Buthasproventimeandagainthatnomatterhowmanychanceshesgivenhewilldisappointus

Buthasproventimeandagainthatnomatterhowmanychanceshesgivenhewilldisappointus
Aye. Digressing from the one-word thing for a moment (which I'm taking as just a conversation starter, anyway): I dunno what screwed him up and made him so hateful. I think I feel more of a mix of pity and anger, whereas I'm guessing almost everyone else feels just the anger. I think of the comments, and all his wonderful art, and just want to shake my head. It's a bizarre marvel that such different things can come out of the same person. I guess Trey Parker and Matt Stone were ahead of the curve again on this one.

As if the comments weren't enough, I just know that so much of the work I loved will seem tainted to me now. Either way, it seems likely he might not do anything for awhile, if ever again. I can't remember the last time I was quite this disillusioned by a performer, even factoring in how screwed up they can be to begin with.

I know what you mean, Yoda. I just reviewed his IMDb page... It's such a pity to think of all his career highlights--and there are a lot of them--and wonder whether they'll be remembered with the same fondness now. But he still has a chance at redemption in the grand scheme of things. I look back to other actors/musicians/artists in the past who've made similar or worse mistakes but have made some of the truly classic contributions to their medium. Mel Gibson is one of those people. In forty years, knowledge of his racist-chauvinist-anti-Semitic opinions will likely become lore in the tradition of John Wayne's 1971 Playboy interview. And that doesn't make it any better, the remarks are ignorant and inexcusable. But he's f*cking John Wayne! And Mel is f*cking Mel Gibson!

And sorry about digressing from the one word thing. I'll try to stick to the format from now on.

Semper Fooey
I know what you mean, Yoda. I just reviewed his IMDb page... It's such a pity to think of all his career highlights--and there are a lot of them--and wonder whether they'll be remembered with the same fondness now. But he still has a chance at redemption in the grand scheme of things. I look back to other actors/musicians/artists in the past who've made similar or worse mistakes but have made some of the truly classic contributions to their medium. Mel Gibson is one of those people. In forty years, knowledge of his racist-chauvinist-anti-Semitic opinions will likely become lore in the tradition of John Wayne's 1971 Playboy interview. And that doesn't make it any better, the remarks are ignorant and inexcusable. But he's f*cking John Wayne! And Mel is f*cking Mel Gibson!

And sorry about digressing from the one word thing. I'll try to stick to the format from now on.
This a lot worse than John Wayne's Playboy interview where he made very politically incorrect comments about Indians and the Civil Rights movement. Wayne didn't use any racial slurs and wasn't facing accusations of beating up a woman (which hasn't been proven). Hey, on the plus side he didn't say anything bad about Jews this time (at least not on tape). I guess we won't be seeing that Viking movie anytime soon.

This a lot worse than John Wayne's Playboy interview where he made very politically incorrect comments about Indians and the Civil Rights movement. Wayne didn't use any racial slurs and wasn't facing accusations of beating up a woman (which hasn't been proven). Hey, on the plus side he didn't say anything bad about Jews this time (at least not on tape). I guess we won't be seeing that Viking movie anytime soon.
I agree, John Wayne's opinions on Native Americans were just not very well thought out or eloquently stated, although there was a tinge of racism. His statements, while widely disapproved, are in a technical manner open to legitimate interpretation.

But his statements about the Civil Rights movement were not just politically incorrect. They were outright bigotry, almost by definition. He said that blacks were, collectively, less intelligent than white people, and he supported white supremacy. He ignored the fact that it was precisely because of systematic racism that black people had a harder time getting a quality education. To say that they should just get an education, as if it were easy for them to go to whatever school they wanted makes me wonder what world John Wayne was living in if he didn't know about school segregation. And to say that black people needed to get an education before they can be deemed responsible enough to have an equal voice in society and government is ridiculous and downright racist. He was looking at an entire group of people, based on his perceptions of a few, and judging them as not fit to be acknowledged on an equal playing field with the rest of society.

Mel Gibson used a single racial slur in an emotional, (probably drug or alcohol-fueled) tirade. If you listen to the tape, much of what he's saying is incoherent and doesn't make sense except in the context that he was trying to hurt the person he was talking to with a verbal assault. He was using the harshest words possible for maximum effect. That doesn't necessarily reflect any innate feelings about African Americans or women. For the record, I do think he has some racist and chauvinist bones in his body. But in this particular instance, I'm defending what he said as just stupid and spewed in an emotionally tough time for him.

The accusations of physical abuse, while still only allegations, are probably grounded in truth. But I was referring only to his remarks, as heard in the phone call, and a few years ago in a police report. I'm not referencing his alleged actions, just his words.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I don't think the guy is racist. People say demeaning things when they are angry and are in heated conversations. I have, my friends have, and you probably have to.

Is it right? Of course not. Is he an idiot, obviously. Racist? I don't know about that one.

Suspect's Reviews

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Manic-Depressive

Even though his behavior is pretty bad, I think posting those recordings on the internet is just as disgusting. Imagine, you're at your absolute worst, and a member of your family goes and records you and posts it all over the internet. I would be horrified.

Manic-Depressive

Even though his behavior is pretty bad, I think posting those recordings on the internet is just as disgusting. Imagine, you're at your absolute worst, and a member of your family goes and records you and posts it all over the internet. I would be horrified.
It didn't hurt Alec Baldwin's career. And it was his daughter that he blasted.

She's not family, is she? I agree that making it all public in that way isn't pleasant (or classy, but then, what do you expect from her?) and I'd also agree that (if it is him on the tape) he sounds like someone who's lost it. I don't just mean what he says and how he said it. I knew a guy who was schizophrenic and was there when he completely lost the plot (he was sectioned) and that's exactly how he sounded.

I'd just like to point out that I'd have called him what I did before all this. Also, he's been batty for years (and I'm talking decades years, not just the last 5-10) possibly triggered by his alcoholism?

Anyway, don't worry about his career. As long as he can make people money, they'll forgive you anything in Hollywood.

Bigoty? Career-suicidy? Liquor-unmasking-deeply-ingrained-prejudices-misogyny-and-small-mindedness? Sugar-titty? Nuttier-than-squirrel-shit? Has-the-entire-Protocols-of-the-Elders-of-Zion-memorized? Shlemíl?

You see! This is why I hate writing with a large group. Everybody has their own little opinions and it all gets homogenized and you lose the whole edge of it. I'm goin' with jerkstore. Jerkstore is the line. Jerkstore!

*1:21 to 2:10
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra