Does Kick-Ass go too far?

Tools    

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
It never ceases to amaze me how much power easily offended folks give to a word.
that's kinda what i've been thinking.

i don't know, maybe it's because i'm not a parent, but i just don't see the big deal. well, let me phrase that better: it is a big deal, but it's also none of my business. no, i doubt i'd let any kid my mine walk around saying words like that, but it's up to the parent of that 11-year-old to decide, and no one else.

i wouldn't let my kid say the word, but then again, i also probably would not be encouraging my kid to become a child actor. but that's another issue entirely.

i usually find the ruckus that surrounds stories like these to be way more offensive than the stories themselves.

The whole movie made me feel uncomfortable. I for one hate the c-word whoever says it, but I can see how people will get offended by an 11 year old saying it. Actually, I was offended myself. Plus it didn't even turn out to be a funny movie like they promoted it. Sure it had it's funny parts but it was more serious and disturbing than funny.

And I'll just flat out say that it's now hard to believe that Nicholas Cage is an Academy Award winning actor

Well, I guess I'm glad you don't run the Oscars then, you daffy c***. [/sarcasm]

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
what is it about the C- word anyway?

funny story to tell... my younger brother taught in England for a year on assignemnt at a private school.

he was struggling to maintain order with a gaggle of girls (14, or 15yrs old)..who were standen about gossiping and not taking their seats.

so after asking the class to settle down and pull out text book etc, one of the kids made a production of takin her time sauntering to her seat.

My brother says in exasperation.."Becky get a move on b4 i boot you in the Fanny"

..you could hear a pin drop ..as a hush fell over the room.

The student went 6 shades of red and didnt say a peep.

anyway..a meeting with the headmaster explained it.

My brother says in exasperation.."Becky get a move on b4 i boot you in the Fanny"

I've not seen Kick Ass, but reading this I felt a shock that an 11 year old kid could be saying the C word in a film, and to have it been suggested by her mum. I know kids can use bad language, and I've even heard this word used in a supermarket to a child by it's mother, but it feels like the last taboo somehow. I promise I'm not going all Daily Mail, but I dunno, it makes me feel a bit sad

Warning for the language in the article.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/filmb...s-bad-language
Went too far in my opinion. Okay it was rated "R" but who was the demographic they were aiming for I wonder? Kids...DVD sales.

A system of cells interlinked
Rated R films aren't generally marketed to children. 300 was also a comic film, was that targeted at children? How about Sin City? It falls right in the same school as those films, and I think it was a lot of fun. I watched it twice.

Rated R films aren't generally marketed to children. 300 was also a comic film, was that targeted at children? How about Sin City? It falls right in the same school as those films, and I think it was a lot of fun. I watched it twice.
Kick-Ass certainly was. You have kids if I recall? Not sure though? Did they want to watch kick-ass? Mine did.

Cigarette packets designed in a manner to influence children to smoke. Alcho-pops, who are they marketed for? Same can be said for Hollywood and their marketing "guru's".

A system of cells interlinked
You may have a point about the marketing, and no, I do not have any kids. To be honest, I never saw any of the marketing, as I don't watch commercials if I can help it (I DVR stuff and watch shows on DVD mostly). When my friend stopped over with the DVD, I didn't even want to watch the film at first, as I had never heard of it, and it kind of looked goofy on the DVD cover. He insisted on me giving it a shot, so we popped it in.

So I think that perhaps the marketing was mishandled, big time, so I see your point there. However, I don;t think we should consider marketing when chatting about the film, and we should focus on the film itself, which I think is along the lines of Kill Bill or something like Sin City as stated above.

I agree the marketing is poor if it was sort of aimed at kids. That doesn't mean kids should still see it, though.

what is it about the C- word anyway?

funny story to tell... my younger brother taught in England for a year on assignemnt at a private school.

he was struggling to maintain order with a gaggle of girls (14, or 15yrs old)..who were standen about gossiping and not taking their seats.

so after asking the class to settle down and pull out text book etc, one of the kids made a production of takin her time sauntering to her seat.

haaa! that's funny. We always used to keel over with laughter when those bags you strap around your waist came into fashion...fanny packs.
We were on the London tube once when a middle aged American lady hanging tightly onto the rail, shouted to her husband to look in her fanny pack for her keys ....you've no idea how many people in that carriage suddenly had a grotesque mental image

haha, I had a not so fun experience with the c word this weekend. I've never really used it but it came up in an exchange with my wife. I meant it completely sarcastically. Apparantely a sarcastic tone is hard to use with c***, especially when a bit liquored up

All is good though, no slap to the face or anything...

Bluray Collector!
I didn't find anything about Kick Ass to be all that offensive, in any way - verbally or actionally (new word).