Your Favorite Australian Films

Tools    

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Mad Max and The Road Warrior of course!

I also remember seeing one called Don's Party a while back that was pretty funny.

Semper Fooey
The only Australian movies I've seen are the Mad Max ones. Some good actors and directors started in Aussie land, but the movies they did over there are not on my radar.

Semper Fooey
I forgot Crocodile Dundee was from Australia. Those pictures and Max Max is it for me.

Boy, this is a subject that comes more often than I would've expected.
Anyways, I've posted mine several times,
but this was the first time that I did.
Well, I'm sorry to cramp your style, American Cinema only has 99% of this forum. I should of realised.

Breaker Morant is my favorite Australian film--great story, great cast, wonderful photography, and it recounts accurately a historic event that affected the relations between Australia and the United Kingdom.

Close behind in second place is Babe: I was surprised when I first saw it at how really enjoyable it is, since it's basically what I'd call a story for children. The humor is low-key and understated but really funny! It's simply delightful for all ages.

My third pick would be Phar Lap. I don't care much for sports but I'm a sucker for a good sports film, and this is one of the best--much, much better than the later US race horse film, Seabiscuit. What can I say--I liked the characters, the story, and the crappy-looking little pony that outran bigger competitors.

I only recently caught a showing on TV of The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Lord, what a great film! Funny, yet daring in many ways. But most of all it treats the characters and their wild tale with respect.

One of the strangest movies I've ever seen from any continent is Picnic at Hanging Rock. I've never figured out exactly what is going on, but I love watching it unfold. Beautiful camera work.

Other good Aussie films in no particular order are Gallipoli, Muriel's Wedding, The Man from Snowy River, and My Brillant Career.

Semper Fooey
Oh, I saw that pig movie. Maybe I don't know which ones are Australian.

I saw maybe the last half or the last 3/4's of Bliss on television late one night--but I absolutely loved what I saw. This is certainly one of my favorite Aussie films. And I've always wanted to see it again.

I'm curious? Has anyone else seen this?

While it's not my favourite Aussie film, I did watch The Chant Of Jimmie Blacksmith the other night and I'd give it at least a
. Some scenes are quite brutal, and the subject matter may not be appropriate to some people.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077318/
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Some crime movies: Animal Kingdom, The Sqaure, Two Hands, Romper Stomper, Chopper.

Matt