Attonement
Pride and Prejudice
Wuthering Heights
Emma
Notting Hill

Somewhere in Time
Legends of the Fall
The Lake House
The Notebook (I'm so in love with the concept of having a love that grows old with you!!!)
(I have yet to see the Time Traveller's Wife)

Somewhere in Time
Legends of the Fall
The Lake House
The Notebook (I'm so in love with the concept of having a love that grows old with you!!!)
(I have yet to see the Time Traveller's Wife)

Kudos to you for listing Legends of the Fall ... a lot of people don't seem to even like it... much less consider it a romantic movie...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Moulin Rouge is the best...'The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return'.

Casablance ' we'll always have Paris'

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I think I've replied to this thread before (in fact I know I have). But whatever. I think romance is quite a subjective thing, a bit like comedy. Either you believe in the romance or you don't. Which is not to say there's no objective quality, but the genre is more dependent on engaging the viewer's emotions.

Anyway, three films I love but missed off my list last time (maybe I hadn't seen them then):

Gegen die Wand (Head-On), a Turkish/German film in which a girl persuades a man into a marriage of convenience to escape her overbearing family. He falls for her for real, of course, but then they are separated after he gets into a fight with tragic consequences and she goes back to Turkey.

Show Me Love (****ing Amal), a sweet, lovely, true to life and very funny film of teenage life and love about an outsider, Agnes, who is in love with a popular girl, Elin.

Latter Days - a party boy makes a bet that he can seduce a mormon, but of course ends up falling in love with him. Very sweet film.

I have too many favorite love story movies to list here, but one that really stands out for me is Meet Joe Black, it really has a great star crossed lovers story to it. Plus it has one of the best love scenes ever..very sensual....and I don't even find Brad Pitt all that attractive!

I saw this film from 2003 called Zelary, it's a Czech Republic film and it was amazing. It's really a beautifully romantic film, I highly highly recommend it.

Musician Jobs TV Jobs

Kudos to you for listing Legends of the Fall ... a lot of people don't seem to even like it... much less consider it a romantic movie...
Thanks, Kaitlyn... I love the way the movie portrayed different dimensions of love for one woman from three men... I think a part of us wants that in their own way...*sigh* but such is the way of a sappy romantic like me.

Which reminds me, has anybody here watched Sophia Loren's movie with Marcelo Mastrollani called, "Sunflower"?
That was one movie I forgot to include here... I watched it eons ago, but the movie was so haunting and beautifully done... I would like to get a copy of that movie, if there ever was one...

One of my favorite romance movies is Love story(1970) The novel was a bestseller and I read it too. Both the novel and the movie is great.

Romeo and Juliet

Making a difference
titanic

Notebook

A walk to Remember

Sweet November

Pride & Prejudice
Braveheart
The Notebook
The Illusionist
Heartbreakers
Twilight
The Last of the Mohicans
Tristan & Isolde
Enchanted
Wedding Crashers

i've never agreed with the term "chick flic", but i always know what people are referring to, generally, when they use that term.
I agree, patti.

According to Oprah Magazine, the "50 Greatest Chick Flick's of All Time" are:

Morocco (Josef von Sternberg)
Camille (George Cukor)
Notorious (Alfred Hitchcock)
The French Lieutenant's Woman (Karel Reisz)
The English Patient (Anthony Minghella)
The Women (George Cukor)
Julia (Fred Zinnemann)
Desperately Seeking Susan (Susan Seidelman)
The Truth About Cats & Dogs (Michael Lehmann)
Romy and Michele's High School Reunion (David Mirkin)
The Hours (Stephen Daldry)
All About Eve (Joseph L. Mankiewicz)
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Martin Scorsese)
Aliens (James Cameron)
Thelma & Louise (Ridley Scott)
What's Love Got to Do with It (Brian Gibson)
Girlfight (Karyn Kusama)
Black Narcissus (Emeric Pressburger & Michael Powell)
The Shop Around The Corner (Ernst Lubitsch)
The Lady Eve (Preston Sturges)
Born Yesterday (George Cukor)
Pat and Mike (George Cukor)
Breakfast At Tiffany's (Blake Edwards)
Bull Durham (Ron Shelton)
Pretty Woman (Garry Marshall)
Bridget Jones's Diary (Sharon Maguire)
Something's Gotta Give (Nancy Meyers)
Rebecca (Alfred Hitchcock)
Island in the Sun (Robert Rossen)
Smooth Talk (Joyce Chopra)
She's Gotta Have It (Spike Lee)
A Walk on the Moon (Tony Goldwyn)
Four Weddings and a Funeral (Mike Newell)
Sense And Sensibility (Ang Lee)
Monsoon Wedding (Mira Nair)
His Girl Friday (Howard Hawks)
High Society (Charles Walters)
An Imitation of Life (Douglas Sirk)
Terms of Endearment (James L. Brooks)
The Color Purple (Steven Spielberg)
Daughters of the Dust (Julie Dash)
Little Women (Gillian Armstrong)
Eve's Bayou (Kasi Lemmons)
The Virgin Suicides (Sofia Coppola)
Lovely & Amazing (Nicole Holofcener)
Laurel Canyon (Lisa Cholodenko)
Rabbit-Proof Fence (Phillip Noyce)
Whale Rider (Niki Caro)
Bend It Like Beckham - (Gurinder Chadha)

I have never seen a few of those and was surprised by a few on the list...
Ditto.

Employee of the Month
Not really pure chick-flicks, but in places very nice and romantic:

Forgetting Sarah Marshall, 50 first Dates,Titanic, Beautiful Girls, Lost in Translation, Out of Sight, Mermaids, Four Weddings and a funeral, Blue Crush, Keeping the Faith, The Beach, Notting Hill, Pretty Woman, In & Out, Meet Joe Black

I just realized, there are so many chick-flicks out there.
Love & Romance is a profitable field.