What Critically Bashed Films Do You Like?

Tools    

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Lara Croft: Tomb Raider
Doom
Resident Evil
Lake Placid
Vanilla Sky
The Haunting(1999)
House on Haunted Hill(1999)
Sphere
Silent Hill
Charlie's Angels
Bad Boys
Basic
The Glass House
Practical Magic
Wrong Turn
Wild Wild West
The Strangers
The Ruins
Monster-in-Law(I don't know how this happened, I didn't like it when I first saw it but then...it was just always playing on tbs...and some sort of sick, forced affection developed)

And yea I definitely agree with The Beach, and Funny Games, and The Cell(one of my fave movies)

In the Beginning...
The Beach.

This movie was not only "not that bad", it was really good.
Great directing, great actors, great storyline.
Yeah, Alex Garland is a fierce writer, and the novel (which he adapted to film himself) is a mesmerizing read. Well worth your time I'd say, if you like the movie.

Some of mine:

Waterworld (40%)
Antitrust (25%)
Undead (29%)
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (46%)
Underworld: Evolution (16%)

Yeah, Alex Garland is a fierce writer, and the novel (which he adapted to film himself) is a mesmerizing read. Well worth your time I'd say, if you like the movie.
I agree with you 100%, although the novel is drastically different from the film. I think part of the reason that the movie was so poorly received is the fact that it differs so much from the source material... which is an unfair reason to condemn it, since literature and cinema are completely separate mediums.

See the trailer here:

I Am Legend I will stand with the majority. Really bad movie.
I think you're missing the point of the thread.

I don't pay a lot of attention to critics but I checked out some of Ebert's favorites and non favorites once... and if I remember correctly, he had The Usual Suspects on his "baddie list"... and I liked it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Fair enough. I love Michael Pitt and Gosling in Murder by Numbers, but I hate the film itself.
Theyre such great young actors. I love the Leopold & Loeb flavour of the film, as well as the police procedurals & particularly the behavioural profiling techniques which are included. Im terribly interested in that sort of thing, so I was excited to see it covered in some detail in Murder By Numbers. I cant say that many other films come to mind that have done this, besides maybe the Silence of the Lambs. I also felt that the actual murder scene was quite powerful. It didnt over-dramatize & had a very realistic feel. I guess I saw it as such a bare & sort of plain experience which was unlike any other depiction of such a crime that I remember seeing. If that makes sense?

So glad you like Total Eclipse and The Basketball Diaries (which was in my top 50 at one point). We appear to have VERY similar taste.
I know, & Im happy to discover you because Im going to use a lot of your recommendations! Youve made me want to revisit Total Eclipse again. Its been probably 5 years since Ive seen it.

Theyre such great young actors. I love the Leopold & Loeb flavour of the film, as well as the police procedurals & particularly the behavioural profiling techniques which are included. Im terribly interested in that sort of thing, so I was excited to see it covered in some detail in Murder By Numbers. I cant say that many other films come to mind that have done this, besides maybe the Silence of the Lambs. I also felt that the actual murder scene was quite powerful. It didnt over-dramatize & had a very realistic feel. I guess I saw it as such a bare & sort of plain experience which was unlike any other depiction of such a crime that I remember seeing. If that makes sense?
Ok, well I can certainly see where you're coming from. I also loved the Leopold and Loeb element of the movie, and the dynamics between Pitt and Gosling are great. I just find the screenplay to be really poorly written, and Bullock is such a dislikable and aggravating protagonist. I also think the lighting is hideous, but that's a petty criticism.

I know, & Im happy to discover you because Im going to use a lot of your recommendations! Youve made me want to revisit Total Eclipse again. Its been probably 5 years since Ive seen it.
Really? I've seen it so many times. The two lead performances are phenomenal. I'm going to use a lot of your recommendations too!

I can only think of The Butterfly Effect at the moment. Not the best film I've ever seen, but I enjoyed it.

I like pretty much like all of Rob Schneider's movies, all of which were panned by critics, especially Roger Ebert!

Here are some of his films that I actually enjoy (what can I say, the guy cracks me up!):

The Animal
Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo
The Benchwarmers

Not to mention all the movies he's appeared in with Adam Sandler; "You can do it!!!"

I did not know basketball diaries was bashed, that movie has been in my top 20 for some time.. i was like 8 when i first saw it and even then i knew i was watching a good movie
also i have heard that scarface was first bashed because of Pacino's over-acting

Recently saw The Strangers. Not a favorite of many critics, but I really enjoyed it. Freaked me out.

I dont know that I enjoyed it, but it sure as hell was creepy. I was pretty spooked by it too, & my nerves were shot after watching it. It had some mundane images that were more terrifying than a lot of the shock-fest films. Then again, the whole home-invasion idea freaks me out just in general, so I was probably scared before it even started. haha. & those masks!

Another one I liked was the reboot of The Last House on the Left (2009). The original was a tragic disaster, but I was impressed w/how they handled the material & improved upon it.

I did not know basketball diaries was bashed, that movie has been in my top 20 for some time.. i was like 8 when i first saw it and even then i knew i was watching a good movie
Rotten Tomatoes gives it a 38%, if you can believe that. You just cannot trust those people.