Classer's 100 superduperfavourite films

→ in
Tools    

Someone nominated The Wages of Fear for the current MoFo Hall of Fame, but sadly it doesn't seem to be doing too well. I absolutely love it, though, and I agree with you that the level of tension in the film is almost unrivaled.

I'm also a big fan of Stroszek and Herzog in general. Chinatown is one of my favorite movies and Apocalypse Now is in my all-time top five.

Never seen Animal Farm, although I've read the book. I didn't care much for Withnail and I or Alphaville. The Truman Show is a good movie, but I don't love it. Network is great. They Shoot Horses, Don't They? is on my watch list.

29. Black Swan (2010)

Darren Afrononsky mixes abstract elements with a down to earth approach for one of the greatest movies of the 20th century. Natalie Portman is mesmerising.

"The final act. Your final dance! You've tasted your dream. Touched it! Only to have it crushed. Your heart is broken. Wounded! Your life force fading. The blood drips. The black swan stole your love! There is only one way to end the pain. You're not fearful, but filled with acceptance! And you look down at Rothbart and then at the Prince. And then yes, and the audience! And then you jump!"

28. Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

Absolute brilliance from start to finish and superbly acted by the entire cast. The most influential courtroom drama, along with 12 Angry Men.

"Twelve people go off into a room: twelve different minds, twelve different hearts, from twelve different walks of life; twelve sets of eyes, ears, shapes, and sizes. And these twelve people are asked to judge another human being as different from them as they are from each other. And in their judgment, they must become of one mind - unanimous. It's one of the miracles of Man's disorganized soul that they can do it, and in most instances, do it right well. God bless juries."

27. Throne of Blood (1957)

As good as Polanski's Macbeth is, Throne of Blood is all the more superior. The perfect adaption.

"Admirable, my Lord. You, who would soon rule the world, allow a ghost to frighten you."

26. Five Easy Pieces (1970)

A film close to my heart, Jack Nicholson's performance is one for the ages, nailing all moods and emotions.

"You're a strange person, Robert. I mean, what will you come to? If a person has no love for himself, no respect for himself, no love of his friends, family, work, something - how can he ask for love in return? I mean, why should he ask for it?"

25. Le Samurai (1967)

Le Samurai is a tremendous character study, unrivalled in the coolness department.

"I don't like forcing the pace to extract confessions or get information. I'm very liberal, a great believer in the liberty of the individual... in people's right to live as they choose. Provided that the way of life they choose harms no one else... and is contrary to neither law and order nor public decency."

24. Le Cercle Rouge (1970)

Even better than its predecessor, Le Circle Rouge diversifies and succeeds remarkably. Melville is a genius.

"Between shooting two men six feet away and hitting a target at 100 feet there's a certain difference. It's the difference between an amateur and a professional. And, despite all appearances, I'm not professional."

23. A Man Escaped (1956)

Says so much without saying anything.

"The best of all prison-escape movies, it reconstructs the very notion of freedom through offscreen sounds and defines salvation in terms of painstakingly patient and meticulous effort.

22. Miller's Crossing (1990)

Sorely underrated, released in the same year as Goodfellas and The Godfather Pt 3, though trumps them both.

"It's gettin' so a businessman can't expect no return from a fixed fight. Now, if you can't trust a fix, what can you trust? For a good return, you gotta go bettin' on chance - and then you're back with anarchy, right back in the jungle."

21. Greed (1924)

Like A Man Escaped, coveys its message with such prowess without uttering a word. Amazing and recommended to all those who intend to get into silent films.

"I never truckled; I never took off the hat to Fashion and held it out for pennies. By God, I told them the truth. They liked it or they didn't like it. What had that to do with me? I told them the truth; I knew it for the truth then, and I know it for the truth now. FRANK NORRIS."

20. Grave of the Fireflies (1979)

Emotionally gut-renching, a hard sit-through but only because of its power to move. The visual animation is a thing of beauty.

"Seita: She's been having diarrhea for a while now, and prickly heat and rashes all over. And salt water seems to be hurting her skin.

Doctor: [writing] Weakening from malnutrition. Due to the diarrhea. Next patient.

Seita: Can you give her medicine or a shot? Please, doctor, help her.

Doctor: Give her medicine? All this child needs is some food.

Seita: She needs food... WHERE AM I SUPPOSED TO GET FOOD?"

Master of My Domain
Those few lines of Grave of Fireflies made me realized I take food for so much granted.

Plus rep for that and Black Swan and Throne Of Blood

Plenty more great movies in those last 3 sets. Contempt, Animal Farm, and Grave of the Fireflies are ones I've seen in the last month, and I agree with you on all of them. The only one I didn't like in the last 3 sets is Dead Man.

Plenty more great movies in those last 3 sets. Contempt, Animal Farm, and Grave of the Fireflies are ones I've seen in the last month, and I agree with you on all of them. The only one I didn't like in the last 3 sets is Dead Man.
Wow, you dont like Dead Man. That is one of the most brilliant american movies of the nineties!

Glad to see you love A Man Escaped aswell Classer!

The quote for Throne of Blood is from Stroszek btw. Some really great films there though. I like Le Samourai a lot and Five Easy Pieces, Le Cercle Rouge and Miller's Crossing are all masterpieces.

The quote for Throne of Blood is from Stroszek btw. Some really great films there though. I like Le Samourai a lot and Five Easy Pieces, Le Cercle Rouge and Miller's Crossing are all masterpieces.
lol I'm an idiot, edited.

34. Chinatown (1974)
31. Network (1976)
30. Apocalypse Now (1979)
27. Throne of Blood (1957)
22. Miller's Crossing (1990)
The ratio is coming down now, but it's still not too bad. Plus, Chinatown is only just off my own top 10, while Miller's Crossing also makes my list.

You continue to include phenomenal films and personal favorites that I often feel are under-appreciated. 12 Angry Men and To Kill a Mockingbird are usually cited as the best courtroom dramas, but my pick is Anatomy of a Murder. I'm pleasantly surprised to see it make your list.

Black Swan and Five Easy Pieces are two films that I rank highly among my favorites. I wrote a review for Greed earlier in the year. It's the greatest silent film I've ever seen. Throne of Blood and Le Cercle Rouge are both fantastic films. I'd rank Miller's Crossing near the bottom of the Coen Brothers' filmography, but it's still a good movie. Haven't seen Le Samurai, A Man Escaped or Grave of the Fireflies, but I'm very interested in all three.

Your taste in movies continues to impress me, Classer.

19. Aguirre, The Wrath Of God (1972)

"I am the great traitor. There must be no other. Anyone who even thinks about deserting this mission will be cut up into 198 pieces. Those pieces will be stamped on until what is left can be used only to paint walls. Whoever takes one grain of corn or one drop of water... more than his ration, will be locked up for 155 years. If I, Aguirre, want the birds to drop dead from the trees... then the birds will drop dead from the trees. I am the wrath of god. The earth I pass will see me and tremble. But whoever follows me and the river, will win untold riches. But whoever deserts..."

18. Scarface (1932)

"Colorful? What color is a crawling louse? Say, listen, that's the attitude of too many morons in this country. They think these hoodlums are some sort of demigods. What do they do about a guy like Camonte? They sentimentalize, romance, make jokes about him. They had some excuse to glorify our old Western bad men. They met in the middle of the street at high noon and waited for each other to draw. But these things sneak up and shoot a guy in the back and then run away. Colorful. Did you read what happened the other day? A car full of them chasing another down the street, broad daylight. Three kiddies playing hopscotch on the sidewalk get lead poured in their little bellies. When I think what goes on in the minds of these lice, I wanna vomit."

17. Blow-Up (1966)

"She isn't my wife, really. We just have some kids. No, no kids, not even kids. Sometimes, though, it feels as if we had kids. She isn't beautiful, she's... easy to live with. No, she isn't. That's why I don't live with her."

16. City of God (2002)

"What should have been swift revenge turned into an all out war. The City of God was divided. You couldn't go from one section the other, not even to visit a relative. The cops considered anyone living in the slum a hoodlum. People got used to living in Vietnam, and more and more volunteers signed up to die."

15. Touch of Evil (1967)

"An old lady on Main Street last night picked up a shoe. The shoe had a foot in it. We're gonna make you pay for that mess."

14. Midnight Cowboy (1969)

"You were gonna ask me for money? Who the hell do you think you're dealing with, some old slut on 42nd Street? In case you didn't happen to notice it, ya big Texas longhorn bull, I'm one helluva gorgeous chick!"

13. Kagemusha (1980)

"To occupy Kyoto, to fly my flags in the capital, has been my long-cherished dream. But... if something should happen to me, do not pursue that dream. Remember: my death must not be made known. Keep it a secret, for at least three years. Guard our domain. Never move from it. Do not move! If you ignore my order and set out to attack, our Takeda clan will be no more. Heed my words! This... is my final wish.

12. The Godfather (1972)

"You talk about vengeance. Is vengeance going to bring your son back to you, or my boy to me? I forgo the vengeance of my son. But I have selfish reasons. My youngest son was forced to leave this country because of this Sollozzo business. All right, now I have to make arrangements to bring him back here safely cleared of all these false charges. But I'm a superstitious man, and if some unlucky accident should befall him... if he should be shot in the head by a police officer, or if he should hang himself in his jail cell, or if he's struck by a bolt of lightning, then I'm going to blame some of the people in this room, and that I do not forgive. But, that aside, let me say that I swear, on the souls of my grandchildren, that I will not be the one to break the peace we have made here today."

11. Notorious (1946)

" Dev, is that you? I am glad you are late. This chicken took longer than I expected... what did they say? Hope it isn't done too - too much. Of course, i-it caught fire once... I think it's better if I cut it up out here, unless you want a half of one for yourself. We're going to have knives and forks, after all, I've decided we're going to eat in style. Marriage must be wonderful with this sort of thing going on everyday."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'll need to see Blow Up because I believe that's from Antonioni (sp)

Grave of the Fireflies, Five Easy Pieces, and Notorious are all classics.

10. Underground (1995)

"A war is no war until the brother kills his brother."

9. Lessons of Darkness (1992)

"Herzog is a fearless, meticulous director who approaches his subject in a timeless manner, turning this disaster into a great theme, a story for all time."

8. The Pawnbroker (1966)

"You people? Oh, let's see. Yeah. I see. I see, you... you want to learn the secret of our success, is that right? Alright I'll teach you. First of all you start off with a period of several thousand years, during which you have nothing to sustain you but a great bearded legend. Oh my friend you have no land to call your own, to grow food on or to hunt. You have nothing. You're never in one place long enough to have a geography or an army or a land myth. All you have is a little brain. A little brain and a great bearded legend to sustain you and convince you that you are special, even in poverty. But this little brain, that's the real key you see. With this little brain you go out and you buy a piece of cloth and you cut that cloth in two and you go and sell it for a penny more than you paid for it. Then you run right out and buy another piece of cloth, cut it into three pieces and sell it for three pennies profit. But, my friend, during that time you must never succumb to buying an extra piece of bread for the table or a toy for a child, no. You must immediately run out and get yourself a still larger piece cloth and so you repeat this process over and over and suddenly you discover something. You have no longer any desire, any temptation to dig into the Earth to grow food or to gaze at a limitless land and call it your own, no, no. You just go on and on and on repeating this process over the centuries over and over and suddenly you make a grand discovery. You have a mercantile heritage! You are a merchant. You are known as a usurer, a man with secret resources, a witch, a pawnbroker, a sheenie, a makie and a kike!"

7. The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976)

"Now, teddy. Teddy. Everything takes work. We'll straighten it out. You know. You gotta work hard to be comfortable. Yeah, a lot of people kid themselves, you know. They-they know when they were born, they know where they're goin'... they know whether they're gonna go to heaven,whether they're gonna go to hell. They think they know that. They kid themselves. Right? But the only people... who are, you know, happy... are the people who are comfortable. That's right. Now, you take, uh, uh, carol, right? A dingbat, right? A ding-a-ling.A dingo. That's what people think she is,'cause that's the truth they want to believe. But, uh, you put her in another situation, right? Put her in a situation that's tough. Stress. Where she's up against something,you'll see she's no fool. Right. 'cause what's your truth... is my falsehood What's my falsehood is your truth and vice versa. Well, look. Look at me, right? I'm only happy when I'm angry... when I'm sad, when i can play the fool... when i can be what people want me to be rather than be myself.

6. The Apartment (1960)

"On November 1st, 1959, the population of New York City was 8,042,783. If you laid all these people end to end, figuring an average height of five feet six and a half inches, they would reach from Times Square to the outskirts of Karachi, Pakistan. I know facts like this because I work for an insurance company - Consolidated Life of New York. We're one of the top five companies in the country. Our home office has 31,259 employees, which is more than the entire population of uhh... Natchez, Mississippi. I work on the 19th floor. Ordinary Policy Department, Premium Accounting Division, Section W, desk number 861."

5. Taxi Driver (1976)

"Loneliness has followed me my whole life, everywhere. In bars, in cars, sidewalks, stores, everywhere. There's no escape. I'm God's lonely man.

June twenty-ninth. I gotta get in shape. Too much sitting has ruined my body. Too much abuse has gone on for too long. From now on there will be 50 pushups each morning, 50 pullups. There will be no more pills, no more bad food, no more destroyers of my body. From now on will be total organization. Every muscle must be tight."

4. Elmer Gantry (1960)

"Mister, I've been converted five times. Billy Sunday, Reverend Biederwolf, Gypsy Smith, and twice by Sister Falconer. I get terrible drunk, and then I get good and saved. Both of them done me a powerful lot of good - gettin' drunk and gettin' saved. Well, good night.

3. The Passion of Joan of Arc (1928)

"Has God promised you things?"

2. Persona (1966)

"What are you hiding under your hand? Let me see. It's the photo of your little boy. The one you tore up. We must talk about it. Tell me about it, Elisabet. Then I will. lt was one night at a party, isn't that right? It got late and quite rowdy. Towards morning someone in the group said: "Elisabet, you virtually have it all in your armoury as woman and artist. But you lack motherliness." You laughed because you thought it sounded silly. But after a while you noticed you thought about what he'd said. You became more and more worried. You let your husband impregnate you. You wanted to be a mother. When you realized it was definite, you became frightened. Frightened of responsibility, of being tied down, of leaving the theatre. frightened of your body swelling up. But you played the role. The role of a happy, young, expectant mother. Everyone said, "Isn't she beautiful? She's never been so beautiful." Meanwhile you tried to abort the foetus several times. But you failed. When you saw it was irreversible... you started to hate the baby. And you wished it would be stillborn. You wished the baby would be dead. You wished for a dead baby. The delivery was difficult and long. You were in agony for days. Finally the baby was delivered with forceps. You looked with disgust and terror at your squealing baby and whispered: "Can't you die soon? Can't you die?" The boy screamed day and night. And you hated him. You were scared, you had a bad conscience. Finally the boy was taken care of by relatives and a nanny. You could get up from your sickbed and return to the theatre. But the suffering wasn't over. The boy was gripped by a massive and unfathomable love for his mother. You defend yourself in despair. You feel you can't return it. So you try, and you try... But there are only cruel and clumsy meetings between you. You can't do it. You're cold and indifferent. He looks at you. He loves you and he's so gentle. You want to hit him because he doesn't leave you alone. You think he's disgusting with his thick mouth and ugly body. His moist and pleading eyes. He's disgusting and you're scared."

1. Come and See (1985)

"In Klimov's unshakable vision, death is casual, safety is impossible and beauty is backwards: this is peerlessly gorgeous filmmaking about absolute ugliness."

I've only seen Taxi Driver, The Apartment, and Elmer Gantry from your last set, and they're all great.

Congrats on finishing your list; I'm very interested in seeing the ones I haven't seen.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
TOP 3 choices are golden!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Taxi Driver and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie are the only two I've seen from your top ten, the former is my favourite film of all time and the latter is close to being a masterpiece. So yeah, rep.