HandyApe's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

44. The African Queen

(John Huston / 1951)

John Huston’s 1951 film holds what is still my favourite actor/actress pairing of all time. The on-screen chemistry between Bogart and Hepburn is outstanding. If only James Agee worked on more scripts! (This is about as fun as the list gets, honeykid. )

43. The Conversation

(Francis Ford Coppola / 1974)

Released the same year as The Godfather: Part II, The Conversation has never really received its due, which is sad because it’s one of the smartest and more intriguing psychological thrillers I’ve ever seen. The image of Hackman (never better) eavesdropping is one of the most gripping in all of cinema.

42. Meghe Dhaka Tara

(Ritwik Ghatak / 1960)

I doubt anyone else on here has seen this film, but it was such a treat. Like many of my favourite Indian films it provides a strong critique of the family institution, though this particular film is much more symbolic and elegant.

The best set so far, but seeing as I don't like the others, that's not the compliment it should be. I for one have not seen Meghe Dhaka Tara.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
remember seeing bits of The Conversation in the early eighties and always love watching bogart and hepburn go at it in African Queen. Another pairing she was really great at was with John Wayne in Rooster Cogburn -- VERY enjoyable to see

remember seeing bits of The Conversation in the early eighties and always love watching bogart and hepburn go at it in African Queen. Another pairing she was really great at was with John Wayne in Rooster Cogburn -- VERY enjoyable to see

I'll have to check it out then!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Thank you for reminding me I have to watch more parallel cinema.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I've only seen The Conversation from that last set but I don't remember too much about it.

You have to look at the score.

2001 and Vertigo get 8.9 and 8.7 respectively, while Mad Max 2 gets 8.3.
True. But the fact is that The Road Warrior is 100% fresh while 2001 and Vertigo are not.

Anyway, the best measure in Rotten Tomatoes is the average user ratings:

Citizen Kane: 4.1/5.0
Apocalypse Now: 4.1/5.0
Pulp Fiction: 4.2/5.0
Spirited Away: 4.2/5.0
The Godafther 2: 4.3/5.0
The Godfather: 4.4/5.0
Seven Samurai: 4.5/5.0
PMMM the movie: 4.6/5.0

Strange that some ratings differ so much from the IMDB ratings (Pulp Fiction is rated the same as Nausicaa here while in IMDB is significantly lower).

And films like Forrest Gump or The Boondock Saints only get 71% and 23% respectively, so I wouldn't say that "mediocre films that are easy to understand" score higher.
In animation they do because critics review animation films from the perspective of the US public so movies that are considered good for the kiddies score higher. I think that US critics are huge fans of Pixar's "playing safe" style as well.

I also think that the fact it is a sequel shouldn't matter.
It matters. A movie with a 3 after the title is almost always trash. Toy Story 3 is not bad but it's not very good either.

Empire Strikes Back was also a sequel. Does that mean it can't be considered one of the best Sci-Fi films of all time?
The Empire Strikes Back was not called "Star Wars 2" at the time it was released. That's also a difference.

Toy Story 3 has the biggest box office yield, the highest acclaimed reviews and the highest public scores out of every 3D animation film.
No, the highest acclaimed in Wall-E, I have already explained that.

I'm not saying it should be considered as the best Pixar movie, but I think it is unfair to say that the quality of Pixar already diminished from 2009 on, if Toy Story 3, with all its praise, came out in 2010.
Well, most people here agree Toy Story 3 is weaker than UP, Wall-E and Ratatouille:

Wall-E

UP

Toy Story 3

Brave

Well, most people here agree Toy Story 3 is weaker than UP, Wall-E and Ratatouille:

Wall-E

UP

Toy Story 3

Brave
WALL-E

Toy Story 3

Up

Brave

Toy Story 2 is better than all of them

Haven't seen any of the last set, hadn't even heard of the Indian film (not seen an Indian film yet), but they all interesting me, especially because I like Coppola and Huston so far.

Really? How come?
Actually,I'm not sure myself.I love Apocalypse Now and ,more or less,all Godfather movies.And by love,I really believe that Coppola made two masterpieces.So my expectations were very high for The Conversation.But I don't know,it was a boring film. :/ Also I expected to see more Cazale but he had quite a minor role.
It's not a bad film,I think it's actually very well shot but it just didn't stick with me.

Actually,I'm not sure myself.I love Apocalypse Now and ,more or less,all Godfather movies.And by love,I really believe that Coppola made two masterpieces.So my expectations were very high for The Conversation.But I don't know,it was a boring film. :/ Also I expected to see more Cazale but he had quite a minor role.
It's not a bad film,I think it's actually very well shot but it just didn't stick with me.
Ah, that sucks.

I've always thought the greatness of Coppola's films were in powerful images, and to me The Conversation has more of them than any of Coppola film.

T
Well, most people here agree Toy Story 3 is weaker than UP, Wall-E and Ratatouille
No way, man. Wall-E was fantastic, as well as UP, but I still see Toy Story 3 being superior to Ratatouille. I actually don't get the hype for that movie at all. Sure, the cooking element was unique, but there was nothing amazing in it for me. For a movie trilogy that's 15 years old, Toy Story 3 holds up great, and raised the stakes in every aspect.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

41. Young Mr. Lincoln

(John Ford / 1939)

Abraham Lincoln was one of John Ford's personal icons, and his first film to feature the 16th President as a central character is also one of my personal favorites. Henry Fonda delivers his finest performance, stirring feelings about the American past.

40. In the Realm of the Senses

(Nagisa Oshima / 1976)

I stumbled across this review whilst I was on Rotten Tomatoes. It explains the film much better than I ever could.

“Nagisa Oshima's depiction of the obsessive lovemaking between a prostitute and the husband of a brothel keeper, which leads ultimately to the death of the man (with his own consent), is one of the most powerful erotic films ever made, but it certainly isn't for every taste. Based on a true story that originally made headlines in Japan in the 30s, which turned the woman into a tragic public heroine, the film concentrates on the sex so exclusively that a rare period shot—the man observing a troop of soldiers marching past—registers like a brief awakening from a long dream. This 1976 feature is unusually straightforward for Oshima, and those who are put off are likely to be disturbed more by the content than by the style. But the film is unforgettable for its ritualistic (if fatalistic) fascination with sex as a total commitment.”

39. Masculin Féminin

(Jean-Luc Godard / 1966)

Masculin Féminin is a beautifully made film that manages to mix pop-culture and politics so seamlessly. It is Godard’s best film from the 1960s (although I don’t really enjoy most of them). As the movie itself says, “This film could be called The Children of Marx and Coca-Cola.”

I've only seen Wall-E and The Conversation so far. I liked them both. Really interesting list keep'em coming !

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I wasn't a fan of The African Queen. Found it to be rather boring to be honest. And I'm a Bogart fan, he's had much better roles like Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Sabrina.