HandyApe's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

Well I wouldn't call Toy Story 3 great. I enjoyed it, but I'd say it's only very good. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Ratatouille, Up, Wall E, Monsters Inc. or Finding Nemo. I'd probably put it on par with Cars (which isn't an insult, I like that movie a lot).
I think Toy Story 3 is best if you watched the original as a kid. I don't know, it just drew a lot of emotion out of me, literally growing up alongside Andy and having to give up my childhood.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Imitation of Life!!! I love that movie so much, seeing it on the big screen was an absolutely shattering emotional experience. Wall-E is great too, one of my favorite animated movies. I haven't yet seen Sansho the Bailiff but I really ought to.

I think Toy Story 3 is best if you watched the original as a kid. I don't know, it just drew a lot of emotion out of me, literally growing up alongside Andy and having to give up my childhood.
I was 14 when the original Toy Story was released, though I saw it probably a year after that. I wasn't especially impressed with it then and still am not that impressed with it now. I like it, don't get me wrong, but I'm not enamored with it like a lot of people are.

OK, you're old enough to know how little that matters.
For an animation movie, it matters.

I'm not the kind of person who is the biggest fan of the whole trilogy by the way. I'm not a big lover of the original Toy Story. The third one is just one of the most entertaining films I've ever seen, sprinkled with a lot of great emotional stuff.

I was 14 when the original Toy Story was released, though I saw it probably a year after that. I wasn't especially impressed with it then and still am not that impressed with it now. I like it, don't get me wrong, but I'm not enamored with it like a lot of people are.
I think they were talking about being 10 or less. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's what I thought. I figured they were a similar age to Andy.

For an animation movie, it matters.
Only in its/their importance to the movie business. It's a bit like Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts winning. Best performance of that year? Or a thank you for all the money your films have made? IMO, it's about raising profile and adding credibility to animation in the casual movie goer.

I think they were talking about being 10 or less. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's what I thought. I figured they were a similar age to Andy.
Yeah, I got that.

But that proves nothing of its greatness. I loved all the Herbie movies when I was a kid. I thought they were wonderful. I still like them today. But that doesn't make them great movies.

If a kid's movie is truly great, it should not matter how old I was when I first watched it.

Well, 264 critics watched Toy Story 3 and 99% of them gave it a fresh rating on rotten tomatoes with an average score of 8.8/10. So I think it's safe to say that it also works for adults in general.

I know that doesn't prove that it should be a great movie for you personally, but it simply can't be excluded from Pixar's golden ages when it's the most highly acclaimed 3D animation film of all time (with the public and the critics). There was certainly no diminishing in quality yet up to that point. Pixar was still having one of the best streaks ever seen (but then came Cars 2 and Brave).

I just happen to agree with the critics and the public this time. There are other times I don't.

If I can throw my two cents in, I do think Toy Story 3 is a great film but I don't consider it part of the Pixar set because it's a sequel (the same applied to Toy Story 3).

I know that doesn't prove that it should be a great movie for you personally, but it simply can't be excluded from Pixar's golden ages when it's the most highly acclaimed 3D animation film of all time (with the public and the critics).
It's not. From a global perspective the most acclaimed is Wall-E, since it's the best placed film in the last Sign and Sound poll (which was drawn from a global set of critics instead of only American critics for Rotten Tomatoes).

I just happen to agree with the critics and the public this time. There are other times I don't.
Rotten Tomatoes ratings do not mean the critics loved the film, it means that the critics though that the film would be liked by the public. They are professional critics and their job is mostly to explain to their public if they would like the movie or not. Mediocre films that are easy to understand tend to score higher than more artistically accomplished films in RT.

The Road Warrior is considered a better film than 2001: A Space Odyssey and Vertigo by RT score: (http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_..._warrior_1981/, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1000...space_odyssey/, http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/vertigo/)

You have to look at the score.

2001 and Vertigo get 8.9 and 8.7 respectively, while Mad Max 2 gets 8.3.

And films like Forrest Gump or The Boondock Saints only get 71% and 23% respectively, so I wouldn't say that "mediocre films that are easy to understand" score higher.

I also think that the fact it is a sequel shouldn't matter. Empire Strikes Back was also a sequel. Does that mean it can't be considered one of the best Sci-Fi films of all time?

Toy Story 3 has the biggest box office yield, the highest acclaimed reviews and the highest public scores out of every 3D animation film. I'm not saying it should be considered as the best Pixar movie, but I think it is unfair to say that the quality of Pixar already diminished from 2009 on, if Toy Story 3, with all its praise, came out in 2010.

The Brave Little Weeman Returns!
Everything went to poo when someone mentioned Toy Story 3 and Pixar

Also, the whole point of Rotten Tomatoes is that it "aggregates" the critic's scores of the film into positive/negative. Because of this, a film can have 100% Rotten Tomatoes score, but only a 6.0 average rating, whereas another film could have a 60% Rotten Tomatoes rating, but a 7.0 average rating. All RT shows to me is whether a film is uniformly liked/disliked, or has polarised views of it.

Also, RT has British critics on it too

Reviews

Only in its/their importance to the movie business. It's a bit like Sandra Bullock or Julia Roberts winning. Best performance of that year? Or a thank you for all the money your films have made? IMO, it's about raising profile and adding credibility to animation in the casual movie goer.
That's probably right, but I still believe that they are basing their nominations at least partly on quality.

I use RT because I think it's interesting to read certain opinions about films. It might enrichen my own experience and give new insights. I often disagree with the score, but it's still fun to read the reviews.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
serious heavy hitters for opening movies, BRAVO. Only seen a small few of them, been very curious about Sansho lately, loved Dial M and Wall-E.
Looking forward to more of your list