HandyApe's 50 Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

I've not been a member here long, but I thought I'd show you guys what my favourite films are anyway.

Thanks to HitchFan for the layout idea.

50. Shame

(Steve McQueen / 2011)

I saw Hunger, Steve McQueen’s first film, about a week before Shame was scheduled to be released in UK cinemas, and it felt like one of the longest weeks of my entire life: I was so excited to see this film that I thought it would never live up to my expectations, but it did. Fassbender's performance is one of the most striking in recent years, and the sheer power behind McQueen’s script/direction nearly brought me to tears.

49. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

(Luis Buñuel / 1972)

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is the perfect Luis Buñuel film: it’s a comic masterpiece, it’s critical of the Bourgeoisie, it’s surreal, and it’s radical. The film is interrupted a lot by dream sequences and other tales, but it all adds to the festivities. It’s not Buñuel most important film (that would be Un Chien Andalou or Los Olvidados) but it is his best.

48. Dial M for Murder

(Alfred Hitchcock / 1954)

This is one of Hitchcock’s most visually compelling movies, filled with outstanding performances from Ray Milland, Grace Kelly, Robert Cummings and more. Although considered second tier Hitchcock, the beautiful visuals and intricate script keeps the film engaging and enjoyable the whole time.

I also haven't seen the first three, but all are ones I've w ated to watch. Everyday my interest in Shame increases

I've seen Shame only once but it's really one of the best 21st century dramas. I think it needs repeated viewing to really appreciate it.

I liked Shame and I LOVED Dial M for Murder. It's one of Hitchcock's best and most beautiful films. Ray Milland is also awesome as usual.

Great first set! Looking forward to seeing the rest of your list.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Shame
- not sure whether this or The Turin Horse is the best movie of recent years
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
- not a big Buñuel fan here
Dial M for Murder
- great Hitchcock

Cool list so far.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I love Dial M, just like I love most Hitchcock. I put on Shame once but was too tired and couldn't get past about a minute; have to get back to that one. I haven't seen the other.

Nice start. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie isn't my favorite Buñuel but I think it was the first of his features that I saw. Dial M for Murder is excellent and I haven't seen Shame.

Great start, Shame is my second fav film of the decade so far after The Master. Also Dial M For Murder is one of my best Hitchcock's, not seen The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie yet.

Thanks for all the nice comments so far!

47. Sansho the Bailiff

(Kenji Mizoguchi / 1954)

I have seen Sansho only once, a year ago, but that single viewing has cast a strange spell over me. I’m hesitant to revisit it in the fear that it will not have the same effect, but it’s an essential viewing for any cinema lover.

46. Wall-E
(Andrew Stanton / 2008)

Wall-E manages to be an enthralling animated film and a critique on larger societal issues. It’s the most thought provoking Pixar film and it’s also the most powerful.

45. Imitation of Life
(Douglas Sirk / 1959)

Douglas Sirk’s Imitation of Life is the most beautiful melodrama of the 20th century; stunning misce-en-scène and the peak of Sirkian irony, as critic Nevena Dakovic puts it. The end scene, the funeral of the Anine, is still my favourite ending to any American movie.

Have only seen Wall E but it is a great film and among Pixar's best. Shame they stopped making films of that caliber (Up being their last great movie).

Have only seen Wall E but it is a great film and among Pixar's best. Shame they stopped making films of that caliber (Up being their last great movie).
Toy Story 3

Very interesting new set, by the way.
Only seen Wall E, but I added Imitation of Life to my watchlist!

Well I wouldn't call Toy Story 3 great. I enjoyed it, but I'd say it's only very good. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Ratatouille, Up, Wall E, Monsters Inc. or Finding Nemo. I'd probably put it on par with Cars (which isn't an insult, I like that movie a lot).

Indeed. Pixar declined fast from 2009 onwards. Toy Story 3 is good but not much above average, Brave is quite weak and I haven't watched the new one but it has received negative reviews.

Well I wouldn't call Toy Story 3 great. I enjoyed it, but I'd says it's only very good. I wouldn't put it on the same level as Ratatouille, Up, Wall E, Monsters Inc. or Finding Nemo. I'd probably put it on par with Cars (which isn't an insult, I like that movie a lot).
I consider it the best thing Pixar has ever done and generally, I think it also belongs to the golden age of Pixar movies, as it is probably the best reviewed 3D animation picture of our modern times. It was even nominated for Best Picture!
I consider Cars a much inferior effort.

I agree that after that it all went downhill, though.