Best plane movies?

Tools    

Recently, I've seen the Air Force One documentary by national geographic. That, of course, made me think: "hmm... I remember there was a Harrison Ford movie about that plane", and so I watched Air Force One, the movie from 1997.

I liked it but then there are many plane movies out there that may be better. The question is, which ones. Let's find out. List your favorite plane movies.

Here are my favorites:

1. Air Force One
2. Top gun
3. Stealth
4. Aviator
5. Tora! Tora! Tora!

Maybe not the best plane movie but has the best title:

But speaking seriously,

Best movies with planes are Dr. Strangelove (a large fraction of the movie occurs inside a plane):

And all Miyazaki's animated masterpieces featuring planes such as Porco Rosso:

And Nausicaa (has a lot of flying machines that behave like planes):

Though in none of these examples the whole movie occurs inside a plane.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Great Waldo Pepper
The Gypsy Moths
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines
Wings
Hell's Angels
The Blue Max
Always
Memphis Belle
The High and the Mighty

Hanover
playboy
after earth
grown up

Executive Decision is an underrated action movie about a hijacked plane.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Another one that comes to mind which is ok is Flightplan with Jodie Foster and Peter Saasgard (or however you spell it).

All of the above are good ones. Another was No Highway In The Sky, a James Stewart flick that came out about 1950 or so.

I just thought of another one, but I forget the title. It was an English film with Jack Hawkins, about a test pilot who was demonstrating a plane for some prospective buyers, and has a problem with the plane where he cant land. It was an edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Man in the Sky. I just remembered the Jack Hawkins film.

gotta love the old twilight zone with william shatner. there's something on the wing of the plane!! although i kept expecting him to turn to the camera and start talking about saving money by using priceline.com

I would go for Top Gun. Yeah, it was cheesy, but I dunno, it just doesn't get old to me.
Mainly because I had a crush on Mr.Cruise, I even set our wifi passkey to Maverick :-)

P.S. Con Air is nice too!

I'll have to preach to the choir and say Flight, Con-Air, and Dr.Strangelove. I'll also throw in Fearless, The Aviator, and Flight Of The Phoenix (1965, haven't watched the 2004 film.)

There's also a few others I can think of that had great scenes with planes, like Bridesmaids, and The Dark Knight Rises.

Recently, I've seen the Air Force One documentary by national geographic. That, of course, made me think: "hmm... I remember there was a Harrison Ford movie about that plane", and so I watched Air Force One, the movie from 1997.

I liked it but then there are many plane movies out there that may be better. The question is, which ones. Let's find out. List your favorite plane movies.

Here are my favorites:

1. Air Force One
2. Top gun
3. Stealth
4. Aviator
5. Tora! Tora! Tora!

I agree with all above but need to add in The High & The Mighty with The Duke