Orphan: First Kill (2022)

Tools    

I don’t want to do an intro at this point (might edit one in later), as this is aimed at those who’ve seen both films, but I’ve just seen this tweet referenced in a (reasonably legitimate) review, and whilst I see the broader point, I’m still slightly perplexed.

madeline!
⁦‪@vhsvvitch‬⁩

“Orphan: First Kill is one of the best class-conscious horror films I've ever seen, I think. Unafraid to take aim at sacred targets and root for the people they hurt - disabled folks, poor folks, undocumented folks. There was nothing wrong with Esther 💔 ”

pic.twitter.com/B0X61iXd3P

10/08/2022, 14:54

Full disclosure: I have a tender spot for the first one and I really enjoyed the sequel, might even say loved it unless I change my mind tomorrow once I’ve thought about it a bit longer, but this seems like a very extreme take (especially the “nothing wrong with Esther” part). And I say that as someone who always without exception roots for villains, but I just don’t see how one can argue nothing is wrong with her, even if the family are ****s who hate immigrants and
WARNING: spoilers below
rape/murder their own kids/siblings etc.
. It appears to be a kind of Hannibal-like approach where the other characters are even worse etc., but “nothing wrong”, seriously?

Am I missing something? If anything, it seems like an incredibly politicised take that’s a bit disingenuous.

P.S. Yes, I know Twitter is not a legitimate source, etc, etc., I work in the media, but on this particular occasion I had a feeling that there was a point being made which the review was happy to reference and which I found kind of weirdly juvenile/extreme. Imo “something” is clearly wrong with her, and both films, whatever their flaws, do a pretty decent job of keeping it usefully vague.

Thoughts/perspective appreciated!

It appears to be a kind of Hannibal-like approach where the other characters are even worse etc.,but “nothing wrong”, seriously?
I did mention "Hannibal Lecter syndrome" in my snippet so that's my opinion, too. In the first film she was clearly portrayed as the villain, but the character's popularity forced (in their own minds) the creators to shift her more towards a protagonist status. And how do you do it without completely ruining her? By making other characters deserve their fate (Esther's portrayal as a victim of sorts is very close to ruining her, in my opinion).

That Twitter perspective seems like someone is either trolling or is insanely woke and interprets everything to fit his politics (i.e. wants the well-off whites to die, and therefore sees a political message in Esther's killings). I didn't consider the film political.

I did mention "Hannibal Lecter syndrome" in my snippet so that's my opinion, too. In the first film she was clearly portrayed as the villain, but the character's popularity forced (in their own minds) the creators to shift her more towards a protagonist status. And how do you do it without completely ruining her? By making other characters deserve their fate (Esther's portrayal as a victim of sorts is very close to ruining her, in my opinion).

That Twitter perspective seems like someone is either trolling or is insanely woke and interprets everything to fit his politics (i.e. wants the well-off whites to die, and therefore sees a political message in Esther's killings). I didn't consider the film political.
Yeah, I thought so too, but I read it on my way home late last night and felt I might be missing something. Didn’t feel political to me, either.

I’ll check out your snippet, then! In terms of “deserving their fate”, I guess I do admire the guts because in this case imo it really worked, and it was a very good twist, but tbh, I’ve never ever rooted for her, though I’ve seen the original many times, so what you’re saying about her character becoming popular is a huge surprise. Didn’t realise that at all. Very interesting.

Yeah, I thought so too, but I read it on my way home late last night and felt I might be missing something. Didn’t feel political to me, either.

I’ll check out your snippet, then! In terms of “deserving their fate”, I guess I do admire the guts because in this case imo it really worked, and it was a very good twist, but tbh, I’ve never ever rooted for her, though I’ve seen the original many times, so what you’re saying about her character becoming popular is a huge surprise. Didn’t realise that at all. Very interesting.
Maybe popular is an exaggeration but to me, it seems that Orphan is a sort of an indie classic these days and it has, at least a small, cult following. I don't see any other plausible cause for such than Esther's character (and Fuhrman's superb portrayal). She alone transcends that film above mediocrity.

And about rooting. I don't exactly root for her (well, maybe in the prequel) but she isn't that far from the characters I'd like to write about (if only I could). I'm definitely agreeable to making sociopathic murderers rootable

Maybe popular is an exaggeration but to me, it seems that Orphan is a sort of an indie classic these days and it has, at least a small, cult following. I don't see any other plausible cause for such than Esther's character (and Fuhrman's superb portrayal). She alone transcends that film above mediocrity.

And about rooting. I don't exactly root for her (well, maybe in the prequel) but she isn't that far from the characters I'd like to write about (if only I could). I'm definitely agreeable to making sociopathic murderers rootable
We definitely have that in common. Re: Orphan, some reviews call it a “horror hit” etc., so I guess it made a reasonable amount of money/achieved a certain legendary status. Anyway. I need to rewatch this one to form a more nuanced opinion. I think it’s her character, yes, but also the fact that her backstory/Estonia/etc. were never really explained/explored beyond her age in the original, so it’s also this narrative gap that’s useful for plotting. For what that’s worth, they apparently intend to make a third one (presumably to explore how she ended up at Saarne etc.)

https://screenrant.com/orphan-3-sequ...-response/amp/

Edit: I suppose we technically don’t know how/why she originally ended up in the psych ward, so the “disenfranchised” angle might still be vindicated/prove justified, but I doubt it.

Also, it’s a hilariously brilliant move to cast a Sutherland brother per film as we can now compellingly argue that Leena has a type!