Storytelling rules or existential nonsense?

Tools    

Regarding the discussion here on happy endings versus tragic ones, it all depends; I mean, there's no hard-and-fast general rule that you should almost never use one or the other, since it all depends on what works best for the individual movie in question. I do get any bias people might have against happy endings on principle, since Hollywood shoved those down our throat all the time back in its Classical era, but that's more of a problem with the endings feeling forced, like the abrupt upbeatness at the end of the studio cut of The Magnificent Ambersons; it's just as possible to force a dark ending, even if it "fits" the general tone of its movie, like the pointless, nihilistic conclusion of It Comes At Night.

And on the flip side of that, sometimes endings work because they clash tonally with the rest of the movie in question, like the way that Ripley's moment of peaceful slumber at the end of Alien feels like the most well-earned happy ending ever, after such a bleak, disturbing experience (which I think works better than the original proposed ending of the Xenomorph killing her), or vice versa, like the way that Futurama's "Jurassic Bark" is a typically hilarious episode of that show, only to end up with one of the biggest emotional gutpunches in TV history. It all just depends, you know?

I do get any bias people might have against happy endings on principle, since Hollywood shoved those down our throat all the time back in its Classical era, but that's more of a problem with the endings feeling forced, like the abrupt upbeatness at the end of the studio cut of The Magnificent Ambersons; it's just as possible to force a dark ending, even if it "fits" the general tone of its movie, like the pointless, nihilistic conclusion of It Comes At Night
Right you are. I guess to me it’s the not winning the lottery/making it to the hospital one that feels forced, is all. Plenty of films manage a not-happy, not-tragic ending where there’s a certain final ambivalence (Coherence, Enemy, etc). I’ve come to think this most accurately matches the tone of life/the natural world order, I suppose, whatever that means.

Not the first ones that’d spring to my mind. Inland Empire probably does, on balance, but with Brazil, though I see the logic, I disagree -
WARNING: spoilers below
the protagonist has, I believe, been lobotomised and is being tortured, and though he has visions of paradise, the audience knows the truth, so that never felt like a “happy ending” to me personally.

Happy endings obviously are plentiful.
I cited Brazil because when people talk about happy endings, its infamous discordance between what the director intended and how the audience reads it just always sticks out in my mind. A discordance that was so great the studio felt the need to release the movie with a different ending that could be read as happy (I've never seen the "happy" ending version). It also often serves as the flipside of the read in what happens with AI: Artificial Intelligence when its ending comes up .

WARNING: "Ending of Brazil" spoilers below
Technically, I don't think he was lobotomized. Gilliam meant to express that as long as you have your imagination and your own mind, and don't let the rotten outside world spoil it, then you will always be free. When they said, "they lost another one," that's meant to imply he had escaped. Now, as you alluded to, there's the whole, "is the happiness real if it's based on a delusion." I've seen thought experiments posed by a philosophy grad student on a different movie message board years ago, and the typical answer to them is that we, the outside observer would say the alternate reality is not worth as much as the real thing. However, that still leaves open, "so what is the value of the fantasy then?" Typing it out however, one can see how Gilliam, working in the movie business might really embrace the merits of this view.

Contrasted with AI, whose ending everyone panned at the time because they felt a happy ending was tacked on. But it had the same false, delusional victory as Brazil, but was at least meant to be posed as being morally complicated, if not straight out dark, because it was about a sentient entity devoting their existence to an idea that was completely a lie.

I don't know why Inland Empire came to mind (but once one's mind goes to Brazil, I guess there isn't that much of a jump); and someone I knew went to a Q&A with David Lynch and in response to one of the questions/comments from an audience member, he pointed out that Inland Empire ended with the forces of light winning (the question revolved around the framing of the forces of darkness and of light in the human condition in his movies, and how after a point, there was a trend that darkness kept winning out). It gels with my reading of the film, and given the dark nature of the film, also runs against the implied tone of what happy endings are like that, 'This probably ties in quite a bit with the “no respectable film has a happy ending” concept' would imply. Granted, I don't think anyone bats an eye at happy endings to courtroom dramas (keep in mind, those are usually a point of catharsis for the audience after seeing a great injustice done to a character). I don't know how respectable those are these days, but that might indicate it's going to break down genre to genre.

I cited the pitch from The Player earlier because
WARNING: "The Player" spoilers below
As my multi-decade old memory of the movie goes, in the pitch, the writer/director ends with, "And the hero runs to save our prisoner from death row.
He gets there just seconds too late. Because. In real life. People. Die. *sobs into sleeve*."
If the facile and phoniness of this reasoning isn't immediately apparent, don't worry, he gives the pitch at least one more time, if not more. And he ends with the same melodramatic line and delivery each time, demonstrating how it's all just an act. And then you can see how the movie actually ended up thanks to Tak posting the vid. (Thanks, Tak!) However, it's also worth noting the displayed reverence in the movie for The Bicycle Thieves, and how, "if they were to remake it today, they'd ruin it by tacking on a happy ending," which is a movie I can't even imagine how it could work having a happy ending.

To reference your hospital point above exactly, I just watched Babel a few days ago, and when the woman who was shot and critically wounded in the beginning didn’t die at hospital after much dramatic bleeding, suffering, lying in the dirt for days etc, travelling by helicopter and so on, I was genuinely stunned/impressed by that alone.
I presume you mean Cate Blanchett. Going off-track, what was so grisly for me was the vet sewing her up without anesthetic & no clean surroundings. I wasn’t surprised she survived. Once she took the drugs in the pipe the old woman offered she was just fine. Give Americans drugs & they’ll survive anything.

I presume you mean Cate Blanchett. Going off-track, what was so grisly for me was the vet sewing her up without anesthetic & no clean surroundings. I wasn’t surprised she survived. Once she took the drugs in the pipe the old woman offered she was just fine. Give Americans drugs & they’ll survive anything.
Yes, that was brutal. I did think at one point that this had so many opportunities to go badly wrong, infection etc. but was very well-done, a very memorable scene. I think I was slightly misled, as I’d read a review which made it sound (or perhaps I misinterpreted) like we weren’t told for sure if she survived. Hence was pretty surprised.

And, well, I’m a huge coward about all things medical without drugs, so I think this isn’t just limited to Americans

Regarding the discussion here on happy endings versus tragic ones, it all depends; I mean, there's no hard-and-fast general rule that you should almost never use one or the other, since it all depends on what works best for the individual movie in question. I do get any bias people might have against happy endings on principle, since Hollywood shoved those down our throat all the time back in its Classical era, but that's more of a problem with the endings feeling forced, like the abrupt upbeatness at the end of the studio cut of The Magnificent Ambersons; it's just as possible to force a dark ending, even if it "fits" the general tone of its movie, like the pointless, nihilistic conclusion of It Comes At Night.

And on the flip side of that, sometimes endings work because they clash tonally with the rest of the movie in question, like the way that Ripley's moment of peaceful slumber at the end of Alien feels like the most well-earned happy ending ever, after such a bleak, disturbing experience (which I think works better than the original proposed ending of the Xenomorph killing her), or vice versa, like the way that Futurama's "Jurassic Bark" is a typically hilarious episode of that show, only to end up with one of the biggest emotional gutpunches in TV history. It all just depends, you know?

Kenneth Burke wrote of narratives having conflicting "curves." For the emotional curve of the story, the Deus Ex Machina may be fitting, even if it defies the logical/syllogistic curve of the plot and vice versa. Narratives have different and often competing functions. Indeed, part of the fun is watching the tension between what will probably happen and what should happen (morally/emotionally) play out.

At any rate, I think you're on the money, although I never thought of ALIEN as having a "happy" ending.

Kenneth Burke wrote of narratives having conflicting "curves." For the emotional curve of the story, the Deus Ex Machina may be fitting, even if it defies the logical/syllogistic curve of the plot and vice versa. Narratives have different and often competing functions. Indeed, part of the fun is watching the tension between what will probably happen and what should happen (morally/emotionally) play out.

At any rate, I think you're on the money, although I never thought of ALIEN as having a "happy" ending.
It's certainly happy within the overall context of the movie, especially since they literally considered
killing Ripley off instead, you know?

It's certainly happy within the overall context of the movie, especially since they literally considered
killing Ripley off instead, you know?

WARNING: "Yes, we're spoiler tagging a 43 year old movie - you're welcome sensitive reader!" spoilers below
Dallas and Parker have to make through for it to be a happy ending - at least, Parker. - JK.

We leave Ripley exiting a nightmare into a dream, but she is dreaming in a life-raft in deep space (i.e., she's probably sleeping with the space fishes, but there is a modicum of hope).

Everyone dead? Protag with a 50/50 shot at living? I mean, she saved Jonesy and she only cares about small children and cats, so that's a win? I think I'll call this one a tie.

WARNING: "Yes, we're spoiler tagging a 43 year old movie - you're welcome sensitive reader!" spoilers below
Dallas and Parker have to make through for it to be a happy ending - at least, Parker. - JK.

We leave Ripley exiting a nightmare into a dream, but she is dreaming in a life-raft in deep space (i.e., she's probably sleeping with the space fishes, but there is a modicum of hope).

Everyone dead? Protag with a 50/50 shot at living? I mean, she saved Jonesy and she only cares about small children and cats, so that's a win? I think I'll call this one a tie.
I know, but, while I'm not saying it's on the level of It's A Wonderful Life, I'd still say the ending to Alien qualifies as being closer to a happy one than something more in-between, because, in addition to the points I've made about it already, I'd say that it's significant that Ripley doesn't seem traumatized by what she's experienced as she's recording her final log entry, as opposed to the sheer terror of the final girl in something like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (which, to reiterate, is one of the reasons why I feel Alien is the much better film). Plus you have the placid musical piece that plays over the end credits, which has always struck me as extremely peaceful and relieving, in stark contrast to everything that came before in the movie: