The PPR Jungle

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Yeah, the missed call didn't put away the Patriots. The Carolina Panthers did. They just played a better game. Even so, the missed call did kinda put the Patriots away. If they wanted to win, obviously, they should have played well enough to keep the game from being so close. But they earned a chance to win all the same. That's why I love football. Every single play holds the potential to decide the entire game.

As soon as PWs Cam Newton beat me in MoFo I switched off the game in disgust. Perhaps an example how FBB actually crimped my NFL enjoyment. Its just....its just....my team at MoFo is so good I should never lose! Ah well, it wouldve been nice to see the Pats lose, and screwed too. Sorry for the Pate-hate but until some team runs the score up on them like they do others, unmercifully, then Ill gripe very strongly.

I know Seals and Rikers are in like flynn, but dang Im truly curious what makes up the rest of the playoff field! I think this quiet season saved the best for last. Hoping a 6-5 team ends up winning the whole damn thing.

Well Im gonna play River & Gates vs KC rather than Heath Miller and the Star Trek redshirt QB playing for the Packers. I am not confident.

Ah well, it wouldve been nice to see the Pats lose, and screwed too. Sorry for the Pate-hate but until some team runs the score up on them like they do others, unmercifully, then Ill gripe very strongly.
I'm not a Patriots fan by any means… I'd pull for any team playing them. However, this is the NFL running up the score is completely acceptable in my view. This isn't some high school team who's parents are watching their kids get destroyed, it's players making millions upon millions of dollars. Run up the score! lol

Well, there are two arguments about "running up the score," and I often see Patriots fans (I understand you're not one) shooting down one but not the other. The first argument is that it's unsportsmanlike to keep whooping a team when they're down simply because they're clearly going to lose. I don't subscribe to this argument, and it's the easier of the two arguments to refute. As you say, this is the highest level of play: you should not be expected to ease up on your opponent at all.

The more compelling argument, I think, defines "running up the score" as trying to score points in a way that actually makes you less likely to win the game. In a blowout, the value of points and the value of time pass each other in importance. So if you keep throwing even then, it hurts your chances of winning. And actively hurting your chances of winning to take a shot at embarrassing your opponent (or breaking records, as we saw when some fairly cheap marks were set in '07) is, I think, clearly unsportsmanlike.

Yoda, I believe this to be true to an extent. However, a quarterback like Brady or Brees or Manning, may have the goal to own the record in throwing yards. I do understand what you're saying, why pass the ball when you're up by 30 points? Well if a team is having a killer season and no matter who they play, the QB shreds the secondary, why not have a season of record pass yards? If I spent my whole life training my body 8 hours a day, making it to the NFL, I'm going to "go hard" each and every quarter of the game.
This doesn't mean that if I'm a QB I have to pass every play, let the tail back have his yardage too. I just don't think shutting down the offense is the right call.

Yoda, I believe this to be true to an extent. However, a quarterback like Brady or Brees or Manning, may have the goal to own the record in throwing yards. I do understand what you're saying, why pass the ball when you're up by 30 points? Well if a team is having a killer season and no matter who they play, the QB shreds the secondary, why not have a season of record pass yards? If I spent my whole life training my body 8 hours a day, making it to the NFL, I'm going to "go hard" each and every quarter of the game. This doesn't mean that if I'm a QB I have to pass every play, let the tail back have his yardage too. I just don't think shutting down the offense is the right call.
Well, in that case we have a fundamental difference of opinion, I guess. I think the players should "go hard" in the sense of trying to win. I think running up the score to break records is a little cheap, especially when it's not just little marginal things (IE: this game hardly matters, I'm really close anyway, yadda yadda yadda).

Anyway, the main point I'm trying to make is that a lot of Pats fans kind of sidestep this argument and shoot down the other one. I think you can justify almost anything within the rules if it helps the team win, even piling on. But when you slightly decrease your team's chances, I think that's when it stops being sportsmanlike. I mean, it's pretty much universally despised to put personal achievement ahead of the good of the team, which is why the players never, ever admit to doing this even when that's clearly what's going on.

I mean, it's pretty much universally despised to put personal achievement ahead of the good of the team, which is why the players never, ever admit to doing this even when that's clearly what's going on.
This I certainly agree to. This is when a coach lets the tail back and other skill players have their yardage as well. I just believe that even if a team is up by 30 points, they shouldn't change their game plan; players deserve their touchdowns and yardage. Just because a team can't keep up doesn't mean that the winning football team should limit themselves and what they are capable of.

If you don't grant the initial premise that the team should always be maximizing its chances of winning, then we're basically at an impasse. I admittedly take that as being axiomatic.

Yoda will never pass up an opportunity to tell Pats fans that their team likes to run up the score. And I love you for that.

Yoda will never pass up an opportunity to tell Pats fans that their team likes to run up the score. And I love you for that.
Then thank God I'm not a Pats fan

Wild year. My season was a mediocrity, and our current champion & commish Dionne fell short also. So theres gonna be a new commissioner next year! It will be one of these fine folks right hyar'! In the end, everyone else joins me and Dionne in loser land. There can only be one king of the jungle.

If momentum and statistics have anything to do with it, btw they have everything to do with it, then Frightened Inmate #2's (Patrick) Loose Seals are the team to beat. Theyre 10-3, and the other team with a Bye this week is Sleezys Rikers Beard. The Beards roster looks as good as the Seals, but for one thing. Receptions, and Loose Seals dwarfs the Rikers in that area. Maybe that Boston Red Sox beard mojo will bless Sleezy to a championship.

Los Polos Hermanos (Jirraffe Justin) vs Legion Of Boom II (Powdered Water)

Justin doesnt have a tight end, but PWs rocking Jermaine Gresham so theres no worry. These two teams put up near the same points, but Hermanos had lower scoring competition gaining them one more win. It looks like it will happen again as PWs players are facing fierce competition. If Doug Baldwin and Marshawn Lynch can overcome San Fran in San Fran then I think it will give PW some desperately needed unexpected points. Otherwise I think Justin has it.

Hillbilly Handfisher (Tabitha & Chris/PW) vs Brady's Bastard Son (Joshua)

The Hillbillies have a better record by one game, but Joshuas Bradys are loaded. Joshuas RBs are Jamaal Charles & Rashad Jennings. The Holbrooks have Joique Bell & Trent Richardson. Aside from the Handfishers glaring weakness I believe the Bastard Sons have the stuff to knock anyones lights out in the playoffs. Even the two biggies

The year of the Jirraffe is surging strong in both leagues. Los Polos Hermanos is 27ish points ahead of PWs Legion Of Boom II. PW has Demarco Murray still, but Jirraffe has Brandon Marshall still. So unless theres an anomaly that occurs Los Polos Hermanos faces The Loose Seals next week. Should be interesting, and yes an upset is possible next week.

Even though Joshua hasnt slotted a kicker, and slotted Rashad Jennings who was Out, hes beating Hillbilly Handfishers by almost 35 points. HH has Ashton Jeffrey still, but Bradys Bastard Son has Jason Witten. Looking like BBS vs Rikers Beard next week.