Tyler1's Favourite 50 Films

→ in
Tools    

4. The Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1975)

If there is one film which stands out for its beauty, that would be Tarkovsky's The Mirror, a film whereby the plot does not matter at all, if there is even one. There are many images which can be framed or hung up as paintings. Usually, this spot is reserved for another Tarkovsky film, Stalker (which is no.11 on this list for now), its just that i like this one slightly better after repeated viewings.

the top 10 so far...

4. The Mirror
5. Touch Of Evil
6. The 400 Blows
7. Aguirre, The Wrath Of God
8. Landscape In The Mist
9. Alien
10. Mulholland Drive

3. Persona (Bergman, 1966)

Persona is widely regarded as Bergman's finest film, whereby Bergman had complete freedom in directing without compromising to any cinematic standarts or expectations. The result? A monumental piece of art which explores the most intrinsic aspect of our existence; the speaker and the listener. Is life really so terrible that we have to remain silent for fear of telling lies? This is one of the many questions this challenging film asks.

As Bergman once said, "With Persona, I have touched wordless secrets only the cinema can discover."
And this is cinema at its most primal, brutal and uncompromising form.

I wonder what the top 2 could be... my guesses:

-Seven Samurai
-Rashomon
-Blue Velvet
-A Clockwork Orange
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-GoodFellas
-Psycho

I might add more guesses if I think of any, but i'm crossing my fingers for those last three

I wonder what the top 2 could be... my guesses:

-Seven Samurai
-Rashomon
-Blue Velvet
-A Clockwork Orange
-2001: A Space Odyssey
-GoodFellas
-Psycho

I might add more guesses if I think of any, but i'm crossing my fingers for those last three

1 of these films.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
My guesses for top 2:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Sansho The Bailiff

I've tried to watch The Mirror, as well as Andrei Rublev and Stalker, countless times, but could never get into them. The one Tarkovsky film I loved was Solaris.

I love Mulholland Drive, though.

I've tried to watch The Mirror, as well as Andrei Rublev and Stalker, countless times, but could never get into them. The one Tarkovsky film I loved was Solaris.

I love Mulholland Drive, though.

I love all those Tarkovsky films except Andrei Rublev, which left me cold.
And by the way, good guess for my top 2

2. Sansho The Bailiff (Mizoguchi, 1954)

I have never seen a film like Sansho The Bailiff. To this day, it still haunts me whenever i think of it. Sansho the bailiff is Mizoguchi's 81st film, and tells the story of a brother and sister seperated from their mother and are sold to slavery. Despite the amount of suffering present the film is about forgiveness, concluding with one of the best scenes ever-mother and son reunite finally after years of seperation.

"Without mercy, man is like a beast"

I have never seen a film like Sansho The Bailiff. To this day, it still haunts me whenever i think of it. Sansho the bailiff is Mizoguchi's 81st film, and tells the story of a brother and sister seperated from their mother and are sold to slavery. Despite the amount of suffering present the film is about forgiveness, concluding with one of the best scenes ever-mother and son reunite finally after years of seperation.
This really intrigues me. I'll have to check it out ASAP.

If 2001 is indeed your #1, then rep shall be coming your way. On a somewhat related note, Solaris is in my Netflix queue.

If 2001 is indeed your #1, then rep shall be coming your way. On a somewhat related not, Solaris is in my Netflix queue.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

I shall conclude this list with:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)

2001: A Space Odyssey is about the continued struggle of man to explore and give meaning to the unknown. The monolith, representing the mysteries which baffle us since our existence, appears at various points in this film. Not surprisingly, i am inclined to believe that the opening of the film where we are staring at the blank screen actually forces us to stare at the monolith itself... 2001 is also about the breakdown of communication. Words are sparse, and mean very little. " Open the pod bay doors, hal" and hal's monologue "I'm afraid, dave" were repetitions and ironically, failed to bring about the desired outcomes.

Ultimately, 2001: A Space Odyssey is not just a celebration of space travel, but a celebration of the human race as we move beyond infinity...

Nice #1 pick. I don't like it nearly as much you do, but it's still a great film and I agree with your summary completely.

I'll have to watch Sansho The Bailiff.

Thanks to everyone!

The complete list:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
  2. Sansho The Bailiff (Mizoguchi, 1954)
  3. Persona (Bergman, 1966)
  4. The Mirror (Tarkovsky, 1975)
  5. Touch Of Evil (Welles, 1958)
  6. The 400 Blows (Truffaut, 1959)
  7. Aguirre, The Wrath Of God (Herzog, 1972)
  8. Landscape In The Mist (Angelopoulos, 1988)
  9. Alien (Scott, 1979)
  10. Mulholland Drive (Lynch, 2001)
  11. Stalker (Tarkovsky, 1979)
  12. Rear Window (Hitchcock, 1954)
  13. Dr. Strangelove (Kubrick, 1964)
  14. The Third Man (Reed, 1949)
  15. Raging Bull (Scorsese, 1980)
  16. M (Lang, 1931)
  17. Vertigo (Hitchcock, 1958)
  18. 12 Angry Men (Lumet, 1957)
  19. Taxi Driver (Scorsese, 1976)
  20. Ugetsu Monogatari (Mizoguchi, 1953)
  21. Apocalypse Now (Coppola, 1979)
  22. On The Waterfront (Kazan, 1954)
  23. Spirit Of The Beehive (Erice, 1973)
  24. The Grand Illusion (Renoir, 1937)
  25. Ikiru (Kurosawa, 1952)
  26. Chinatown (Polanski, 1974)
  27. Sunset Boulevard (Wilder, 1950)
  28. Pulp Fiction (Tarantino, 1994)
  29. Lord Of The Rings (Jackson, 2001-2003)
  30. The Maltese Falcon (Huston, 1941)
  31. Sunrise: A Tale Of Two Humans (Murnau, 1927)
  32. Blade Runner (Scott, 1982)
  33. Grave Of The Fireflies (Takahata, 1988)
  34. Last Year At Marienbad (Resnais, 1961)
  35. Barry Lyndon (Kubrick, 1975)
  36. Le Samourai (Melville, 1967)
  37. Unforgiven (Eastwood, 1992)
  38. Brazil (Gilliam, 1985)
  39. Wall-E (Stanton, 2008)
  40. There Will Be Blood (Anderson, 2007)
  41. North By Northwest (Hitchcock, 1959)
  42. The Conformist (Bertolucci, 1970)
  43. Cries And Whispers (Bergman, 1972)
  44. La Haine (Kassovitz, 1995)
  45. The Thing (Carpenter, 1982)
  46. Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001)
  47. Aliens (Cameron, 1986)
  48. The Shining (Kubrick, 1980)
  49. The Leopard (Visconti, 1963)
  50. Werckmeister Harmonies (Tarr, 2001)