What's up with Brendan fraser

Tools    

How did he go from being a box office draw to out of work ?

I heard he was sexually assaulted by HFPA president. But how did he go from that to being blacklisted by Hollywood. How does a victim gets blacklisted ? I thought if you are difficult to work with you get blacklisted or 100 other reasons but how does one go from being the victim to being blacklisted ? something was done to him not the other way around.

Well, for one, the guy he accused was the head of Hollywood foreign press... and in Fraser's own words "The phone tends to ring less often when you accuse certain people of wrongdoing"

However, he's never been blacklisted.
He's worked steadily every year since the early 90s with his peak career being the late 90s to early 2000s.

The problem Fraser faced though is the same as many Hollywood men.
The mentality that "men can't be abused".
Look what happened to Corey Feldman and Corey Haim. Back in the 90s Feldman spoke out about abuse, though he refused to name the culprit/s, and his career stalled in an instant, and nobody believed him. He's only recent gone on record to name and shame the guilty parties.

Terry Crews had the same when he came out about abuse. People actually laughed about it.

Gladly though, mindsets are changing, especially in light of the Depp vs Heard case and all the cans of worms that have been opened in light of the Weinstein cases.

I imagine the problem is extending "blacklisted" to mean something like "not in blockbusters (which are all I care about)."

He was the leading man in a mainstream hit or two, therefore we simply must speculate on why this transient state did not persist, since obviously everyone desires it at all times and losing it is always reducible to malice or personal failing of some kind.

The problem Fraser faced though is the same as many Hollywood men.
Did anyone react that way to Fraser? I feel like people have been very supportive of what he went through. We know that Weinstein stalled the careers of some of his victims, like Ashley Judd who was in the running for a role in Lord of the Rings. I'm glad that more people are stepping forward to the kind of impact that such an encounter can have on a person, even if it's a more "minor" assault. (And I use the word "minor" merely to say that some people seem to think that stuff short of rape somehow doesn't count).

Something he said in one of the interviews was that it was mentally hard because he couldn't tell if the phone not ringing was some sort of retribution from the man who assaulted him, or just a natural fluctuation in his popularity. That sounds like it would be incredibly difficult.

It also sounds like the injuries he'd sustained over the years really caught up to him: back surgeries and partial joint replacements.

If you all haven't read the interview he did with GQ in 2018, I'd recommend it. Fraser himself spells things out pretty well: https://www.gq.com/story/what-ever-h...brendan-fraser

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Brendan Fraser is a national treasure and must be protected at all costs.

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

did you watch furry vengeance in theaters ?
No, but I have seen Encino Man a few times.

...bud-dy.

I imagine the problem is extending "blacklisted" to mean something like "not in blockbusters (which are all I care about)."

He was the leading man in a mainstream hit or two, therefore we simply must speculate on why this transient state did not persist, since obviously everyone desires it at all times and losing it is always reducible to malice or personal failing of some kind.
its not my words...Brendan Fraser said that.

its not my words...Brendan Fraser said that.
The article linked earlier in this very thread says "he wondered if he'd been blacklisted." Which is neither a statement or even a quote, for that matter.

And several people have already replied to point out it isn't strictly true, unless you want to expand the term to mean "suffered a drop off in work," which is important and worth talking about but isn't really the same thing as being "blacklisted." A necessary distinction given your framing in the original post.

Also, I'm jumping ahead a little because I've seen these threads backdoor their way into the same identical claims a dozen times already.