Lets Talk Football

Tools    

No activity for 6 weeks even with a World Cup going on? Does that speak of disinterest in the sport on here or a lack of passion for this years World Cup? I know I've barely watched it compared to what I'd normally do and most of that is to do with how I feel about where and when it's being held.

No activity for 6 weeks even with a World Cup going on? Does that speak of disinterest in the sport on here or a lack of passion for this years World Cup? I know I've barely watched it compared to what I'd normally do and most of that is to do with how I feel about where and when it's being held.
I've seen everything with the exception of 3 matches.. I'm actually loving this World Cup, especially the unpredictability.. Of Course i’m rooting for the Netherlands but Brazil impressed me most so far..

I've probably watched about half the matches. Like hk I've less interest than usual because of where it's being held and the resultant speeded-up schedule (four games a day is simply too many imho) .... not to mention it breaking up the most decent start to a season Arsenal have had in ages which angers me. Backed Argentina before the tourney started but they've been pretty sh*te thus far, like j-c I'd say Brazil have probably looked the best thus far.

People from football-loving countries are not very active these days. I remember the glory days of discussion involving the 2014 and 2018 world cups.

At this point, my country's team Brazil, had a good performance: we won 2 matches out of Serbia and Switzerland; in 2018, we had the same countries in our group, and we only won against one, Serbia, while tying with Switzerland. So I think that is good luck for this cup. Brazil's team is slightly better than in the last world cup, so I hope the team is also more psychologically prepared to play at a disadvantage (like if the opposing team begins by scoring first). In all world cups since we won in 2002, we lost after starting at a disadvantage and being unable to recover, while we never won a single match since the 2002 world cup (so that's four world cups) by reverting to a disadvantage except with a few easy matches in the group stage like the match with Japan in 2006 or Croatia in 2014.

However, I think that this cup is extremely competitive. All major teams that qualified are playing well except Italy, which didn't qualify. Belgium is playing much worse, but that is expected since Belgium's golden generation peaked around the time of the last WC, and since it's a small country, they don't typically produce great players all the time. France, Spain, Germany, and Argentina are the other favorites IMO.

I think that it would be more interesting if South America should have a couple of spots from North America. In this cup North America gets to send 4 teams, South America, 4 teams, and Europe 13 teams. So very good South American teams often don't qualify like Chile and Colombia (both played very well in 2014), while Costa Rica and Canada qualify and become punching bags. Well, in 2026, the Cup will have 48 teams, so Italy and Sweden, and the good South American teams will likely be all in.

Less interest this time around. Doesn't really feel like a proper World Cup. But at least it paused the awful season LFC is having.

I caught few matches. Japan vs Germany was the pick for me, though yesterday's second half between Serbia and Cameroon was equally fun.

Reckon it will be one of Brazil or France. Spain for all their passing glory, will come unstuck soon.
Don't really see any other team challenging.
Belgium's demise is sad. A generation of special talent (now old and jaded), wasted in the hands of Martinez, who should have been sacked several years ago.

I've seen everything with the exception of 3 matches.. I'm actually loving this World Cup, especially the unpredictability.. Of Course i’m rooting for the Netherlands but Brazil impressed me most so far..
If you're interested in speaking about it on here I'd encourage you to do so.

Personally I think that you'll probably make the quarter finals, but the Netherlands look quite poor. Certainly from an outside pov it seems to be a team bereft of the kind of talents you expect in a Dutch side. That said, Gakpo seems to have found his feet on the world stage. Do you think PSV will hold onto him unitl the summer or accept a big offer (I'm sure someone will make) during the January window? I know United were very interested last summer (I'd have loved to see him come over) though, obviously, we aren't the only ones.

Backed Argentina before the tourney started but they've been pretty sh*te thus far, like j-c I'd say Brazil have probably looked the best thus far.
I think a repeat of the 1998 final looks the most likely atm with Brazil and France looking like they'll be able to make the grade. TBH though, no one has really looked like they'll dominate (which isn't a bad thing) but Brazil and France both have the experience and players who can do something to win a game even if they/the team are having a bad day. Obviously Argentina and Spain will have something to say about that, but barring a particularly bad day/great game from an opponent, that's what I expect.

I think that it would be more interesting if South America should have a couple of spots from North America. In this cup North America gets to send 4 teams, South America, 4 teams, and Europe 13 teams. So very good South American teams often don't qualify like Chile and Colombia (both played very well in 2014), while Costa Rica and Canada qualify and become punching bags. Well, in 2026, the Cup will have 48 teams, so Italy and Sweden, and the good South American teams will likely be all in.
I'd like that too, but it's not politically savvy for FIFA. TBH, I don't want the 48 team World Cup and, while the FA's of the extra countries will endorse it, I think many of the fans and even players, will feel a little 'unworthy'. Yeah, it's 'a festival of football for everyone' but it already feels like there's too many dead rubbers or poor teams padding out the tournament and once you get past the excitement of seeing your country there, getting pummelled and outplayed by better teams enforcing that feeling that you've been let in to somewhere you shouldn't yet be.

If you're interested in speaking about it on here I'd encourage you to do so.

Personally I think that you'll probably make the quarter finals, but the Netherlands look quite poor. Certainly from an outside pov it seems to be a team bereft of the kind of talents you expect in a Dutch side. That said, Gakpo seems to have found his feet on the world stage. Do you think PSV will hold onto him unitl the summer or accept a big offer (I'm sure someone will make) during the January window? I know United were very interested last summer (I'd have loved to see him come over) though, obviously, we aren't the only ones.
Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool are all interested and their offers are around £80 million. Don’t know the moment he will go but the word on the street is PSV will hold on until the offer is closer to 100 million.

Regarding the The Netherlands, van Gaal has a lot of tournament experience and I feel he’s deliberately not going with his strongest 11 or gameplan. He wants them to be and feel like 'underdogs' with something to prove constantly if that makes any sense. In short I think/hope it’s van Gaal's sneaky tourney tactics.

I think a repeat of the 1998 final looks the most likely atm with Brazil and France looking like they'll be able to make the grade. TBH though, no one has really looked like they'll dominate (which isn't a bad thing) but Brazil and France both have the experience and players who can do something to win a game even if they/the team are having a bad day. Obviously Argentina and Spain will have something to say about that, but barring a particularly bad day/great game from an opponent, that's what I expect.
May well be a France/Brazil final (assuming the knockout draws allow for it, don't know - not really had enough interest to check that type of stuff), Argentina don't look like the feisty, battling team who are capable of bullying their way to a win if needed that they usually are - Spain may have more of a say but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them come unstuck by someone that can harass them for the full 108 minutes that seems to be about the norm for this tourney

Argentina don't really have a midfield. Better teams will isolate Messi, bypass the midfield and have a field day against them. I won't be surprised if Poland do them over tonight, despite Argentina being favourites.

I agree that Netherlands are a sneaky team. The other one for me is Portugal. Old defence and Ronnie, but that midfield four looks absolutely mint. Bruno, especially, who is playing the best I have seen him play for a while now.

Brilliant from Australia just now. But absolutely woeful from the Danes. I expected them to come second, but that was shambolic. Them, Belgium and Uruguay have been disappointing.

But I really hope they get the living daylights spanked out of them against France. What an impotent performance by the rest of the side.
Yeah agreed that last 30 min. or so, it's like they had some kind of agreement with ARG to just play out the match and hope Mexico doesn't score..

May well be a France/Brazil final (assuming the knockout draws allow for it, don't know - not really had enough interest to check that type of stuff), Argentina don't look like the feisty, battling team who are capable of bullying their way to a win if needed that they usually are - Spain may have more of a say but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see them come unstuck by someone that can harass them for the full 108 minutes that seems to be about the norm for this tourney
If things go 'according to plan' then it's a Brazil/Argentina semi final on one side of the draw and France are on the other side. That's if things finish as expected before the tournament started, but with the state of some of the groups, it might not be the case. As it stands England are still on course to get knocked out in the quarters by France as predicted before it all began.

Arsenal, ManU, Liverpool are all interested and their offers are around £80 million. Don’t know the moment he will go but the word on the street is PSV will hold on until the offer is closer to 100 million.
That price tag is problematic, IMO. For United, anyway, as I don't see that he's worth that much. But I do know that ETH knows a hell of a lot more about it and him than I do, so if he wants him, we may well get him even at that price.

Netherlands v USA
Argentina v Australia

France v Poland
England v Senegal

Japan v Croatia
Brazil v Korea

Morocco v Spain
Portugal v Switzerland

Quite a mad few games in the final round. Karma deliciously being served to the Uruguayans, who should see few punishments for their post match behaviour.
Nice to see Asia closing the gap with the rest.

Japan and Senegal could provide the potential shocks in this round.
England is far superior in terms of quality, but I don't rate Southgate.

Japan and Senegal could provide the potential shocks in this round. England is far superior in terms of quality, but I don't rate Southgate.
Quoted for truth.

A few people IRL have asked who I think will win the England v Senegal game and my basic answer is the same - it depends on which England turn up. I expect it to be the Southgate tournament England, so it's risk adverse and defensive first. It's a strategy I understand (especially from someone as risk adverse and (IMO) tactically naive as Southgate) but it means a nervy 90+ minutes with England rarely creating good chances and, if we go behind in the second half, maybe not having the time for Southgate to make necessary changes (mostly because it takes him so long to work out and then impliment what needs to be done. One of the few respects he reminds me of OGS) and losing because the players can't get it to work.

An early goal will make all difference. Obviously for England, but even an early Senegal goal will force a change at half time as he'll have the time to evaluate what need to be done.

Should England win? Yes. Senegal are African Cup of Nations champions but are missing their best player and have a player suspended from this match (is it Sarr? I can't remember.) Man for man England also have the better players, so a win is expected. Which is just another reason why they might not do it.

Anyone else fearing a game of his life performance from Mendy?

If France do anything but win against Poland they should all retire. Other than Qatar I think they're the worst/least effective team I've seen at this world cup.

Anyone else fearing a game of his life performance from Mendy?
Change 'fearing' to 'hoping for' and I'm right with ya

I was a bit harsh on the Polish, after their game against Argentina.
I think they got their tactics right against France , but just couldn't sustain it for 90 minutes and we're undone by quality of France which is far superior.

Props to Griezmann and Rabiot for working their socks of for the likes of Mbappe and Dembele, who despite being quality, offered absolutely nothing in defence.

And Mbappe is absolute quality. And I thought Matty Cash had a good game, and matched him for speed at times.

Didn't watch the England game, but from the highlights I can see that's a wonderful win. I hope Southgate persists with Foden, and while France is more experienced and slightly superior, there is no reason why this group of English lads can't win against them.

That England/Senegal game was an odd watch for an Englishman... because it became so comfortable that it was boring by the end. First 30 minutes were usual. We started quite well, made a few chances and/or couldn't make the final pass for a good chance. Senegal found their feet after about 10 minutes and started to press. They made a couple of chances, we got a little lucky with a misplaced pass or something and Pickford made a good save. But once that first goal went it everything settled down (as I hoped it would if we'd scored an early goal) it was ok. The second just before half time pretty much killed the game and an early third put the tin hat on it. After that I didn't really pay much attention tbh. England were in control, Senegal kept trying but knew they were done and the game played out.

I expect England to go to the quarter finals in every tournament they're in because that's pretty much our level. We're usually around the top 10 (for what the ratings are worth) and therefore the final eight is where you expect. The other way to say that (and I have for decades now) is that we'll go out against the first good team we play. A full strength Senegal might've been a different proposition, but I do actually feel that we could beat this France team. With the players they have missing there's enough in this England team (if they play well) to win. Despite winning a world cup I don't rate Deschamps as a manager, so I''m not as worried about Southgate as I am against better managers. There's no Benzema, Pogba, Nkunku, Kante, Digne or Boubacar Kamara. That's a lot of experience and talent to not have and you'll miss it regardless of how well you play. Defensively I think both teams are weak in defence , which does make me think that Southgate will revert to his usual manner of playing, which will probably mean less chance of creating chances. But, for once (and contrary to how I felt when the draw was made) it does feel like we could beat this French team. France are still favourites, IMO (and not only mine I'm sure) but it's not as certain as it'd usually be.

Conspiracy theory. Did Santos take Ronaldo off, confident that he'd react (or at least 'react' as far as the media are concerned), and be able to take advantage of that to drop Ronaldo? I think (and have for a year or two) that Portugal are better off without Ronaldo because what he does doesn't fit how they want/need to play to get the best out of the team. They need to learn to be without him and use the best of their players (of which he isn't one, IMO) in their best roles, playing in a way which allows them to play to their best. The Swiss are definitely good enought to beat Portugal and a Portugal playing to their best has a better chance of winning.

Having said that, he'll probably start and score a hattrick now.

I think both todays games might be fairly close affairs, Spain should go through but I don't think it'll be the relative doddle the bookies odds are suggesting (wouldn't be overly surprised if they get an early goal and I'm totally wrong on that though). Can't abide the boring Swiss so I'll be rooting for Portugal regardless ..... but I also can't abide Ronaldo either so if he is dropped all the better from my perspective.