Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Preliminary Thread

→ in
Tools    

The Invitation - Slow burning psychological thriller about a man bringing up his new girlfriend to a dinner party with friends at her ex-wives house. Slowly things start to unravel because of suspicion, guilt, and God knows what else.

The Blackcoat's Daughter - Directed by Oz Perkins, Anthony's son, this one follows two girls left alone at their prep school during winter when one of them starts being haunted by an evil presence. This is another effective slow burner that kinda creeps under your skin.
Both of those are great. I might have room for The Blackcoat's Daughter on my ballot.

A little late to this party but excited for this countdown. I have about 10 movies that have been on my watchlist for a while that I'm hoping to get through. We'll see. Otherwise my list is pretty much set.

Happy to see that OJ: Made in America was deservedly approved early on in the thread. Like Mark, it will be very high on my list. Highly recommended to all. It's not just about O.J. because OJ wasn't just just about O.J.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

The Blackcoat's Daughter - Directed by Oz Perkins, Anthony's son, this one follows two girls left alone at their prep school during winter when one of them starts being haunted by an evil presence. This is another effective slow burner that kinda creeps under your skin.
I should rewatch this, but I'm pretty sure it'll be on my ballot. It's among the very best debut movies and, sadly, yet another case where the director seems to peak at the very beginning of his career (I really hope he'll prove wrong, though).

Mustang - Turkish film about five orphaned sisters struggling with the repressive upbringing of their grandmother and uncle. Pretty good drama with good performances and effective emotional moments.

The Invitation - Slow burning psychological thriller about a man bringing up his new girlfriend to a dinner party with friends at her ex-wives house. Slowly things start to unravel because of suspicion, guilt, and God knows what else.

Big yes to all of these. Blackcoat's Daughter might divide a few opinions, but the atmosphere is so good.

Crush the Skull - Another one that I'm sure Takoma will enjoy to see mentioned, this is a fun horror comedy about a group of young thieves that decide to rob a secluded house, not knowing that it is the lair of a serial killer. Good balance between horror/gore and humor, neither of which goes overboard.
YESSSSS! Listen, this might not even make my ballot, but it is so much fun. I watched it having never heard of it before as a random pick on a weekend night and had such a blast with it.

I'm also a fan of the two short films the crew made before the feature film. You can tell that they're really into what they're doing, are fond of horror tropes in the way only a real fan can be, and the comedy works aces for me.

^Yeah, I was gonna mention the two shorts. Thanks for bringing them up.

Speaking of good creepy movies, don't forget
I just watched this, and color me not impressed. One of the worst handled twists I can remember (it's so blatantly obvious that the last 90% of the film feels meaningless as we watch the film go through its motions while pretending the viewer to either be an idiot or at least never seen a movie before).

I have no idea why this is generally quite well rated.

movies can be okay...
I don't think these have been mentioned in the thread yet, but they are a few of my favorites from the decade, some will probably even make it into my final list.

Poetry (2010) by Lee Chang-dong

Somewhere (2010) by Sofia Coppola

Another Year (2010) by Mike Leigh

Reality (2012) by Matteo Garrone

Finding Vivian Maier (2013) by Charlie Siskel and John Maloof

Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem (2014) by Ronit Elkabetz and Shlomi Elkabetz

Youth (2015) by Paolo Sorrentino

James White (2015) by Josh Mond

Krisha (2015) by Trey Edward Shults

La Loi du Marché (2015) by Stéphane Brizé

45 Years (2015) by Andrew Haigh

Ma Vie de Courgette (2016) by Claude Barras

Nocturnal Animals (2016) by Tom Ford

LA 92 (2017) by T.J. Martin and Daniel Lindsay - it's free on youtube btw

The Sisters Brothers (2018) by Jacques Audiard

Cold Case Hammarskjöld (2019) by Mads Brügger - free on youtube also

Bad Education (2019) by Cory Finley

Les Misérables (2019) by Ladj Ly

"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

I just watched this, and color me not impressed. One of the worst handled twists I can remember (it's so blatantly obvious that the last 90% of the film feels meaningless as we watch the film go through its motions while pretending the viewer to either be an idiot or at least never seen a movie before).

Fair enough.
I enjoyed it, but I always enjoy slow burners, even if the payoff at the end is underwhelming.

I agree that the "twist" is predictable as hell, but I still think the film succeeded in building a good atmosphere of dread; maybe more so because you know the twist. I thought it was pretty solid.

Still have power so here are my "left field" recommendations for 2016...

Cameraperson - I think I've sung my praises for this documentary here before, but here it is anyway. Probably on my Top 3 documentaries. A chronicle of a career juxtaposed with multiple chronicles of survival. Love it.

Antes que Cante el Gallo - Puerto Rican film that follows a teenage girl with coming of age, as well as the strict upbringing of her grandmother and the return of her estranged father from jail. One of the best local films I've seen.

The Void - A treat for any horror/scifi fans. A crazy mish-mash of cult films, creature feature, and existential scifi full of great practical effects.

Terrifier - One of the best horror films I've seen recently. Gory as hell as it follows a sadistic clown that torments two lost women in an abandoned building. It seems that people are, uhh, split on this one though

Anthropoid - Based on the planning of the attempt on Reinhard Heydrich during World War II, I found this to be quite thrilling and well acted. Stars Cillian Murphy and Jamie Dornan.

Under the Shadow - Slow burn supernatural thriller from Iran about a mother tormented by a mysterious presence. More of a character study about the main character and the gender politics in the country, it manages to build a strong atmosphere, and has some neat jumpscares as well.

The Siege of Jadotville - Based on real events, this intense war film follows an Irish platoon standing against mercenaries in the Congo during the 1960s. Also stars Jamie Dornan.

Risen - Pretty solid Biblical drama about a Roman tribune (Joseph Fiennes) tasked with investigating the disappearance of Jesus' body. I know most people are quick to dismiss Biblical films, but I thought this was pretty good anchored in Fiennes' performance. Directed by Kevin Reynolds (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and The Count of Monte Cristo)

Here are some 2013 films I've seen which might make my ballot (as an aside, I'm only including films I rated 8/10 in these lists as anything I rated higher will surely make my ballot):

Prisoners (this made my last list, so it may make this one as well; doesn't add anything new to the genre, but it's still a thoroughly engaging blend of familiar elements)
Her (this was a very moving story which resonated with me pretty well)
Enemy (this made the very end of my prior list, so it may get booted off, but it's still really good)
12 Years a Slave (hard to watch, but very powerful and well-acted; I prefer McQueen's Shame though)
Snowpiercer (I rewatched this fairly recently and, though I didn't love it as much as I initially did, it's still a great action film with some nice social commentary)
Gravity (this has received some backlash over the years, but as much as I hate to say this, many of those people completely missed the point of the film; regardless, I don't know if it'll make my ballot)
Locke (I don't remember this one too well, but I remember finding it very moving)
Captain Phillips (tense and well-acted, though it probably won't make my ballot)
Before Midnight (I know the trilogy has some critics here, but I like it quite a bit, personally)
Blue Ruin (a very good thriller which probably won't make my ballot)
All is Lost (a minimalist, yet engaging survival film)
Stranger by the Lake (I don't know if this will make my ballot, but it's a really good thriller with some terrific atmosphere, in particular)
Fruitvale Station (hard to watch, but it definitely stuck with me after I finished it)
Bhaag Milkha Bhaag (I don't remember this one too well, but I found it to be pretty engaging to watch)

Cameraperson - I think I've sung my praises for this documentary here before, but here it is anyway. Probably on my Top 3 documentaries. A chronicle of a career juxtaposed with multiple chronicles of survival. Love it.
That one's going to make my ballot for sure.

Here are some 2013 films I've seen which might make my ballot (as an aside, I'm only including films I rated 8/10 in these lists as anything I rated higher will surely make my ballot):
Also, 2013 might be my favorite year for films of the 2010s.

Here are some films from 2014 I've seen which might make my ballot:

The Grand Budapest Hotel (I don't remember if this made my last list, but it has a pretty good chance of making this one)
What We Do in the Shadows (I'll probably have room for this one on my ballot)
Nightcrawler (not sure if this one's been brought up in this thread yet, but it's pretty great)
It Follows (one of the best horror films of the decade)
Birdman (strangely, I haven't thought about this much since watching it, but it made a huge impression on me when I first saw it)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (probably the only Marvel film I consider myself to be a fan of)
The Babadook (this one might make my ballot; we'll see)
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (probably won't vote for this, but it's still really good)
The Tribe (probably won't vote for this either, but it's also really good)
Phoenix (watched this one recently; I liked it quite a bit, but it probably won't make my ballot)

Also, I already posted Sight & Sounds' top 10's of each year of the 2010s upthread, but I decided to assemble them into a list to use as a watchlist until I submit my ballot:

https://www.listchallenges.com/sight...from-2010-2019

Also, I already posted Sight & Sounds' top 10's of each year of the 2010s upthread, but I decided to assemble them into a list to use as a watchlist until I submit my ballot:

https://www.listchallenges.com/sight...from-2010-2019
Sweet. Just at 67, so quite a bit there to look at.