2nd Chance Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Le Trou (1960)

This was one the first films I've seen since I'm a member of this Forum which makes it one of my first discoveries as a cinephile. I'm not sure what compelled me to watch it or how did I find it, but I'm glad I did.
Le Trou is one of those films that remind me why I love cinema. Just like masterpieces like Das Boot, Alien, 12 Angry Men, Reservoir Dogs or Judgement at Nuremberg, it has a small cast and very limited settings, removing all the extra stuff a movie doesn't need and leaving just the essential: great acting, a solid script and a great director, able to explore the confined space to either make it feel larger than it is or even more claustrophobic. Le Trou checks all the boxes and it ends up being a wonderful ride, with more adrenaline you'd expect a french film from the 60s to have, perfectly paced and a strong ending!

-

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Le Trou (1960)

This was one the first films I've seen since I'm a member of this Forum which makes it one of my first discoveries as a cinephile. I'm not sure what compelled me to watch it or how did I find it, but I'm glad I did.
Le Trou is one of those films that remind me why I love cinema. Just like masterpieces like Das Boot, Alien, 12 Angry Men, Reservoir Dogs or Judgement at Nuremberg, it has a small cast and very limited settings, removing all the extra stuff a movie doesn't need and leaving just the essential: great acting, a solid script and a great director, able to explore the confined space to either make it feel larger than it is or even more claustrophobic. Le Trou checks all the boxes and it ends up being a wonderful ride, with more adrenaline you'd expect a french film from the 60s to have, perfectly paced and a strong ending!

-
very much like this review, nicely done!

Like with any set up, going the bare minimum can make or break a film and this is one that definitely makes it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
So I need an emergency link for Pierrot to finish this up because the one I was given the subtitles are actually ahead of what they say and it's just too obnoxious to watch that way. Why is this film so damn hard to find

So I need an emergency link for Pierrot to finish this up because the one I was given the subtitles are actually ahead of what they say and it's just too obnoxious to watch that way. Why is this film so damn hard to find
This will fix out of sync subs. I just used it for Perfect Blue in the 18th.

http://subshifter.bitsnbites.eu/

This looks like such an interesting HoF! Love the idea behind it.

A lot of great movies. The level is so high. And those I haven’t seen are big ones on my watchlist.

I got one, with English subs already there and working perfect. BUT your message box is full, you need to delete some so I can PM you.

I got one, with English subs already there and working perfect. BUT your message box is full, you need to delete some so I can PM you.
Done! Sorry about that.

Pierrot Le Fou

This is honestly the toughest film for me to track down in any Hall of Fame ever, and Citizen finally got it for me, so thanks for that. The first thing that striker me was how cool the film looked. It had a bit of an Umbrellas of Cherbourg look to it, very colorful and the scenery just drew you in. The two main character leads seemed pretty cool too. But after awhile, I became a bit tired of it all. There seemed to be no real rhyme or reason to what exactly they were doing on their adventure and it took me out of the movie. I also wasn't a fan when there were periods were the characters broke out in singing, just seemed it was kind of corny to me. I was enjoying the film for about the first thirty minutes but after that I just wasn't a fan. And I don't even really know what to make of that ending, but I really really disliked that part certainly. Overall I can't really blame anyone who thinks it's a decent film, because it has a lot to be respected of from a technical standpoint, but that's where my appreciation really kind of ends.

A generous
-

And that's a wrap finally for me. Sorry for slowpoking this one.

Hoping to knock out Pierrot Le Fou tonight. Should be an intriguing end to this Second Chance HoF, which has been a really great idea for a Specialty HoF

Pierrot Le Fou

Having watched Day for Night previously in the 17 HoF, I have been very curious to delve into another Goddard film AND with this being nominated by @MijaFrost who's noms such as The Hawks and the Sparrows and The Goddess, my curiosity continued into what form of cerebral realm this film would unfold itself from.

And on that point I was not disappointed.
Also, as I stated in my review for The Hawks and the Sparrows, multiple viewings is rather mandatory to view, contemplate, explore, and, in our minds, come to an understanding of this film. Or, perhaps, overthinking is the wrong thing to do and we should experience the emotion of it instead.

In my research of this film it states that Goddard had initially wanted to recreate a crime noir novel called Obsession with a Lolita motif to it with his wife starring in it.
When he did begin to shoot the film he lost interest in the material source and was divorced to the actress who would play Marianne. The collective claim is that his boredom, disillusionment and post divorce disposition becomes the creative fodder for the film and it's meandering, or more accurately termed, lack of, narrative.
Which is not to say I found the display without any enjoyment, Especially, knowing the wanderings of style and concept already, I simply let my mind go limp and allow myself to be tossed about by Goddard's film. While finding myself dying for a cigarette like never before. lol

Still, while I am not learned enough to properly interpret a film nomination by Mija, I am VERY happy to follow along and enjoy the spectacle thereof and look forward to the next sojourn.

Weird is relative.
Hehe, @edarsenal, I don't think I quite understand any of the films I nominate either, but yeah, I guess for me that's been part of the appeal. Um... I've liked choosing movies that most people haven't seen or heard of before, something off the beaten path, you know?
I mean, I do hope that EVENTUALLY I will find something that's more enjoyable to most people though -
ideally I would want others to have a positive experience watching my noms. (Or a positive negative experience, if it's a "dark/grim" themed movie aha.)

Weird is relative.
Alrighty, time to post my last two reviews.

Ed Wood (1994)

It was over a decade since I last saw this, so it almost felt like a new film for me.

I have to say it was as good this time as I remembered from before. Johnny Depp gives what feels like a spot-on portrayal of a man who decides to embrace his "differences" and pursue his passion, while trying not to let the extremely critical feedback get him down. You can't make a movie without a lot of perseverance - it's just a shame Mr. Wood didn't allow anyone to help him improve his "vision." On that note, I did watch Plan 9 from Outer Space back in December in preparation. Yes, it was bad, but there could have been potential there. 'Tis a pity.

Martin Landau was a standout who stole all his scenes as Bela Lugosi. I'm inclined to believe that he and Edward Wood did become genuine close friends, despite how Lugosi's son claimed that Wood took advantage of him. He probably only said that out of embarrassment that his father would associate with such a director.

Pierrot le Fou (1965)

POSSIBLE SPOILERS ALERT

I decided to re-watch this tonight as it had been a few months since my viewing.

Like @edarsenal was saying earlier, I do think it did benefit from a second watch. I felt like I perceived it differently this time.

Ferdinand is bored in his life, lost his job, isn't in love with his spouse, so when his attractive ex-girlfriend shows up, he's more than willing to take a chance with her again. It's adventure and lust for the sake of it. He's not even horrified to find out that she's mixed up in some kind of gangster business and that she commits serious crimes as casually as she applies her lip-gloss. His combination of ennui and curiosity is such that he just goes along with it, becoming a criminal himself in the process. Of course, it's all fodder for his book, and great writers need interesting experiences to stimulate their mind, anyway. That's probably what he tells himself. (Or, perhaps the entire movie IS all fiction he's writing.)

Something I've appreciated about the Godard films I've seen so far is that they're very abstract and not so much emotional. I did quite like the line in this one, "You speak to me in words, and I look at you with feelings."
I know I've felt this way many times when trying, and failing, to communicate with romantic partners.

Another observation of Godard's films with Anna Karina, is that he seems to both idolize and hate her at the same time. I hadn't known until Ed mentioned that they were already divorced when they made this one, but now the story makes even more sense, especially the ending.

I think this film could symbolize a few different concepts that are up to individual interpretation, especially since it's rather dream-like in presentation.

Hehe, @edarsenal, I don't think I quite understand any of the films I nominate either, but yeah, I guess for me that's been part of the appeal. Um... I've liked choosing movies that most people haven't seen or heard of before, something off the beaten path, you know?
I mean, I do hope that EVENTUALLY I will find something that's more enjoyable to most people though -
ideally I would want others to have a positive experience watching my noms. (Or a positive negative experience, if it's a "dark/grim" themed movie aha.)
finding films I haven't heard of would have seen is one of the top reasons I continually join in on these HoFs, and don't worry, TRYING to find something everyone will like is like chasing down a unicorn. . . lovely idea, but a bit unlikely lol

Wonderful news, raul!!

curious to see how it all plays out. I'm guessing Letter from an Unknown Woman should either win it or at least come pretty high in the ranking.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Having watched Day for Night previously in the 17 HoF, I have been very curious to delve into another Goddard film
Day for Night is Truffaut's, not Godard!