Movies you like overall, but dislike looking at? [Ugly movies]

Tools    

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
You know what I mean? When a movie's plot is fine, when you may like the cast, production, w/e...but the color palette/color scheme, art direction, cinematography is an eyesore or just downright unpleasant?

Most of the time, lots of movies are just way too dark. Not in tone, but literally dark and inside I am screaming for the brightness to increase.

I also dislike a movie that is too gray or with purposely decreased colors. I know movies do this for "tone" but it is a bad choice if it actually becomes distracting from the actual story being told.

On the flip side, I have seen some movies that are too saturated, too yellow, or too blue. There are even times when a movie gets it perfectly nailed color-wise. But my main pet peeve is a dim color scheme or a dark one.

What about you?

I will say that I was motivated to start this thread as the wife and I are re-watching the Hunger Games movies on TNT and it's hard to look at. I did some digging and it seems to be the fault of cinematographers and colorists. Not sure where the editor falls between the two, but at least it seems movies that suffer from bad color choice are at least not quick-cut or slow-panned to death on top of it.

We even have our TV settings on "vivid" and "brightest" and this movie still looks like crap.

We also recently saw Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and it had that same dark/gray look to it. I was chopping up clips of the HP flicks, and Deathly Hallows Part One is way too dark (even its brightest scenes). Still seeing TV spots for it and it looks so much brighter than the real thing.

It's called contrast, Hollywood!

http://noamkroll.com/why-color-contr...ure-it-on-set/

I felt actually the look of Deathly Hallows pt 1 was the main thing the film had going for it, got the sense of twilight hopelessness across very well.

Can't think of any films I loved that looked terrible to me, I spose Groundhog Day is pretty unremarkable visually although again you could argue that plays into the story.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The Silence of the Lambs is really good, yet it looks like a made for TV movie I find in terms of cinematography. Never Say Never Again doesn't look as good as other James Bond movies.

Unsane had this feeling for me this year.