2020 Movie Challenge

Tools    

Also answers to Jabba
Time for my first update. January was hectic so I have not been able to watch much.

Main Challenge: 7/52

Nightmare Mode: 19/109

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

First Update...I'm doing the Nightmare Mode first

1 - 10 foreign - (2/10)
2 - Live from the Dolby Theater! - (Complete)
3 - 10 films1 Decade -(30's) - (9/10)
4 - Documentary - (3/10)
5 - Academy Award - (8/10)
6 - Roger Ebert’ - (8/10)
7 - Same Actor -
8 - Same Director (Peckinpah) (4/10)
9 - Same Country -
10 - Same Genre -

I'm guessing that one movie cannot be used for multiple categories. For example, Notorious couldn't be used for Hitchcock, Ingrid Bergman and 40's noir, right?

Main Challenge 42/52

Nightmare Mode 4/10 completed

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, I limit it to one film per slot - otherwise, where would the challenge come from? I will shuffle around films that fit multiple categories if it'll fill out the categories better, though.

Also answers to Jabba
I apologize for killing off Sophia Lauren. Since I am going for a more internationally diverse list in that challenge, lets sub Carmen Miranda in her place.

Also answers to Jabba
New update.

Main Challenge: 51/52

Nightmare Mode: 109/109

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Leftovers  

This sounds like an interesting challenge. Here is everything I've watched this year that would count. Trying to avoid mentioning the same movie twice in the main challenge.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Also answers to Jabba
In case you were looking for cinema of transgression films but had some trouble, here are 12 of them free to watch online for the challenge.

Okay, looks like I'm done.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  

Okay, looks like I'm done.

Main Challenge  

Nightmare Mode  
How does Death Wish 4 hold up? Haven't seen it since '87 probably.

Ok, that’s impressive. It’s only July 😳
Thank you kindly. In fairness, recent global events have left me with a lot more spare time than usual.

How does Death Wish 4 hold up? Haven't seen it since '87 probably.
It's a Death Wish movie - I wouldn't refer to any of them as being actually good. I guess I'd rank it second-best after Death Wish III because it tones things down ever so slightly (no weirdly post-apocalyptic gangland antics, just a turf war between suit-and-tie drug syndicates) and doesn't get too scuzzy for its own good like the other installments. I think I'd rate it a generous
, but even then it could always drop to a

I've seen the first one a couple of times and I wouldn't consider myself a fan of it. It doesn't seem so sure of whether or not it's indulging a vigilante power fantasy or critiquing it - it's inconsistent enough in that regard that I have trouble thinking of it as good, but you can still tell it's sort of trying at times. The second one plays like a transition between the seriousness of the first film and the camp of its successors, but that just makes it the worst of both worlds. The third wins out because it just goes along with this cartoonish gang angle that makes it impossible to take seriously (he even uses a mini-gun at the end) and the fourth continues in that vein so they're both at least sort of fun in that regard, but the fifth is some serious old man nonsense. Don't even get me started on the remake.

I liked the first Deathwish.
I’ve only ever seen the second and third since and both were awful as I recall.
I actually like the first two. The third is kind of OK in a campy way. I don't remember anything about the fourth (and I watched it only a few years ago) except it was terrible. Haven't bothered with the fifth yet.