Kubrick's Best?

Tools    

The Elected Movie Eliminator
No top three, or top five, just his best movie. Simple.

A Clockwork Orange

You?

If you use the search function you'll find many threads about Kubrick, including this topic.

This is my choice, by the way.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

DR. STRANGELOVE or: How I
Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A Clockwork Orange

I'll rank the other ones of his that I've seen:

2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Loved To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb
The Shining
Full Metal Jacket

I still have Eyes Wide Shut and Paths Of Glory sitting in my Netflix instant queue. I think the rest of his movies are in my regular queue, too.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.

2001: A Space Odyssey

2001 is the best, but A Clockwork Orange is my favorite.

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

The Shining

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

Full Metal Jacket

2001: A Space Odyssey is what I consider to be his crowning achievement. But, damn near every film he's made deserves a mentioning among the greatest. As for favorite, The Shining takes the cake for me. I've despised A Clockwork Orange since the first time I've seen it, although I think it's one of the greatest films ever made, and no other film has received such a reaction from me. Not viewed, experienced.

Full Metal Jacket
This is terrific. I just watched this a couple of days ago. It's first half is much, much better then the second (but the last half hour) was very intriguing and suspenseful.

I don't know how much interest or help this will be, but below is a link for a 10-disc Kubrick box set (Region 2) 2001:A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures. The other discs are extras for each of those films. All for £16.98. At that price, I'd be tempted myself, but not even I need that much sleep.

Anyway, for all the info, follow the link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Kubr...235574&sr=1-18

I don't know how much interest or help this will be, but below is a link for a 10-disc Kubrick box set (Region 2) 2001:A Space Odyssey, A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, Full Metal Jacket, Eyes Wide Shut and Stanley Kubrick: A Life In Pictures. The other discs are extras for each of those films. All for £16.98. At that price, I'd be tempted myself, but not even I need that much sleep.

Anyway, for all the info, follow the link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stanley-Kubr...235574&sr=1-18
It's a excellent price, who wouldn't pay five excellent movies for 16 pounds?

You guys ready to let the dogs out?
Full Metal Jacket is my favourite but A Clockwork Orange is probably his best piece of work although it's very hard to choose, he's done so many brilliant movies.

Paths Of Glory. The reason being that I've not seen it, but I think I might like it and that's as good as Kubrick gets for me.

Of course, when I see it, if I do like it then it'll definately be my favourite Kubrick film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I was just about to mention Paths of Glory. It's razor-sharp unsentimental throughout which might make you believe that it, too, is cold, but that movie turns me into a crying baby every time I've seen it, and I've only seen it about 25 times. You have seen Spartacus? That's the second-most crying Kubrick flick for me.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Barry Lyndon is gorgeous but it's presented as coldly as possible. I'm starting to think that some people hate Kubrick because he's so honest about the reality of humanity. Kubrick's films often seem "over the top" compared to "normal human behavior", but compared to reality, they're really much more a projection of reality, not only of the present, but of the past and the future, than the spoon-fed BS most films try to present.