Van Helsing (SyFy - 2016)

Tools    

So, I gotta admit, I have literally struggled through this show for the last 2 seasons. Season 1 was painful, but as I like a strong female lead, AND a strong male lead (thank you Jonathan Scarfe!), it was like ARRGH, but I did it. Season 1 had that ONE thing going for it - everything else was a takeaway: every actor/ress did their part, but Kelly Overton's version of "conflicted heroine" just ended up being one either boring or depressing person overall, depending on her mood. She literally grunted her way through season 1. Top that off with the fact that the show itself was overly dark and depressing. I mean.... we get post-apocalyptic, violent blood-sucking horror, but whoever directs this show is a very dark and depressed person who sees no good or silver lining in life. Ever. I dont think we'd be friends. It was awful, and I feel like I watched it only in solidarity BECAUSE I'm a woman, and it was awful.

Then Seasons 2-3 came along and they added Missy Peregrym, which was a HUGE help as she added a gigantic dose of levity and comic relief, not to mention that she was also allowed to be vulnerable yet strong and have emotions. That, or she's just a better actor than Overton. I mean..... Plus, they paired her with Axel, so there's that. And then Missy got her own show, which while good for her, was bad for Van Helsing, because we all know what that means. Doc also came into her own, but then they screwed up her storyline with the horrifically dull and boring Jolene. I figure they needed a gay angle in the show (tried it unsuccessfully in season 1), and so they slapped it on Doc. Im annoyed because I was thinking Doc and Axel were vibing, and then for sure maybe Doc and Julius. But JOLENE? Cmon now. Seriously? I cant believe they randomly created Jolene, and then had throw some random chick at Julius in one episode (or two), and she got killed off anyway. That should have been Doc and Julius, but this show would rather have a gay black female, instead of an hetero black female in an interracial relationship, as if they're still stuck in the 90s and its more preferable for a black chick to kiss a woman than to kiss a white man. Give me a break. Im still mad. But whatevs. And Mohamed. Im upset about Mohamed because I really liked his character and I thought he was going somewhere. The positive takeaway is that there was a subtle shift away from the deeply depressing dark of the prior seasons, and we slowly climbed out of the hole of absolute despair into a kind of hopeful survivor-ish fighting troupe type show. Which is way more interesting.

Season 4 tho. Im still on ep1, and I can already see that the show has taken a turn for the better. First, they added Neal McDonough

and Richard Harmon.

Its already a visually brighter show, without the dark blue overtones that so DRASTICALLY overtake the screen, so while the themes are still traumatizing as they mean to be, the show is already more fun to watch. Plus, Neal McDonough guys. SEEING that guys makes me want to laugh - he always keeps it interesting! Finally - maybe suffering through 3 seasons of drivel will finally pay off! Here's hoping!

Its already a visually brighter show, without the dark blue overtones that so DRASTICALLY overtake the screen, so while the themes are still traumatizing as they mean to be, the show is already more fun to watch. Plus, Neal McDonough guys. SEEING that guys makes me want to laugh - he always keeps it interesting! Finally - maybe suffering through 3 seasons of drivel will finally pay off! Here's hoping!
It doesn't sound like my kind of show. But I did enjoy your write-up.

~Doc

It doesn't sound like my kind of show. But I did enjoy your write-up.

~Doc
Well, I aim to please!

Start at season 3. Maybe.