Director/Actor Rivalries

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Popular, but real rivalries.... If you think of producer, writers, feel free to list away.

First one that came to my mind was Bette David and John Crawford.

"You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good… Joan Crawford is dead. Good!" - Bette Davis

I'll look for more. I'm more interested in directors criticizing others' works. Spike Lee and Quentin Tarantino have said words about each other, mostly about vulgar language, but I rather find more things concrete about their movies, or career in general.

Here's a great site
www.theyshootpictures.com/directors.htm

Popular, but real rivalries.... If you think of producer, writers, feel free to list away.

First one that came to my mind was Bette David and John Crawford.

"You should never say bad things about the dead, you should only say good… Joan Crawford is dead. Good!" - Bette Davis
Heh, heh. The first time I ever heard that quote was from "Moms" Mabley on a late 1950s comedy record. She used it in reference to her fictional old, old husband...

Interesting about rivals. The first one that comes to mind is Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. They claimed to be friends, but even if true, each guy wanted to outdo the other.

These weren't exactly rivals, but bitter enemies: Tallulah Bankhead and Lillian Hellman. They clashed over communism.

Have to think about producers/writers...

Heh, heh. The first time I ever heard that quote was from "Moms" Mabley on a late 1950s comedy record. She used it in reference to her fictional old, old husband...

Interesting about rivals. The first one that comes to mind is Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas. They claimed to be friends, but even if true, each guy wanted to outdo the other.

These weren't exactly rivals, but bitter enemies: Tallulah Bankhead and Lillian Hellman. They clashed over communism.

Have to think about producers/writers...

Someone yesterday told me how Arthur Miller wrote "The Crucible" after Elia Kazan turned rat.

I liked Kirk and Burt, who I consider a star who picked the most great movies, but didn't think he was a great actor, but more of a presence.. I can see them trying to steal the screen from each other.

I couldn't be sure, of course, but Sophia and Jayne may have had a rather up front rivalry in 1957...

One of the most interesting Hollywood photographs! I remember hearing Sophia talk about it.

Someone yesterday told me how Arthur Miller wrote "The Crucible" after Elia Kazan turned rat.

I liked Kirk and Burt, who I consider a star who picked the most great movies, but didn't think he was a great actor, but more of a presence.. I can see them trying to steal the screen from each other.
Yeah, I'd been a big Burt Lancaster fan since I was a kid. I recall seeing Burt and Gary Cooper in Vera Cruz (1954) in the theater, and thinking it was about the hippest thing I ever saw. Burt really shone in the film. Totally knocked me out as an impressible 10-year-old. And Apache the same year really moved me. 'Course nowadays the snowflake crowd would shriek about 2 Caucasion actors playing Indians...

But recently I learned that he was always trying to intimidate the other actors and director on set, so they had to be pretty tough to stand up to him.

Reportedly Yul Bryner hated Steve McQueen during the shooting of The Magnificent Seven. McQueen, apparently was always sneakily trying to upstage Bryner by doing lots of silly business when Bryner had lines. You can actually see McQueen doing this in some of the scenes.