re93animator's Favorite Films

→ in
Tools    

I love The Shining, tis my favorite Kubrick. I'd give Taxi Driver and Europa a
, Taxi Driver is vastly overrated. M, Naked Luch, and The Thing are on my Watchlist, and I'll be watching them anyday.

17. The PianoTurner of EarthQuakes
Obviously, I’d like the Quay’s to make more features. This is easily the best thing they’ve done in my eyes. For those into ambient, dreamlike films (very dreamlike), this is the cream of the crop. Maybe the most impressive visually driven movie I've seen.
Oo very interesting. I had a chore getting through this film, it's probably one of the most boring films I've had to sit through. Weirdly I thought I'd love it going by the content and visuals.

10. The Road Warrior

9. The City of Lost Children

8. The Last Theft

The first live action film from the very under-acknowledged animator Jiri Barta. It’s a radically visual, strangely amusing sort of vampire movie. At only twenty minutes, it may not be too big of a compliment, but I don’t think I could find a single shot that I don’t love.
are a few clips from it (along with other Barta films) added to a Nurse With Wound song (A fair warning: it's probably not everyone's cup of tea).

7. Stalker

6. Haxan

1920’s film on witchcraft. The content is dated, but that might actually help the movie. The antiquated documentary aspect comes across as a little tongue in cheek (both intentionally and unintentionally), and gives it a different thematic perspective. The sets, make up and whatnot, on the other hand, have aged like fine wine.

5. Hardware
Really difficult to sum up my love for this movie. Most campy, low-budget sci-fi movies don’t have the creative ambition that this one does. Being a gritty and unusual post-apocalyptic flick about totalitarian culture shock, it’s definitely for a specific taste, and will come across as ridiculous or even pretentious to many, which is why I’ve also seen it considered one of the worst movies ever made.

… and a cop out. I just couldn’t choose between these four as a number one pick since the positions seem to be in a never-ending cycle:

1. Jaws

1. Blade Runner

1. The Night of the Hunter

A pretty unorthodox movie for its time, it’s really no surprise that it didn’t get a significant following until later. It holds up very well today, and hasn’t lost much of its power to disturb.

1. Brazil
As with most Gilliam films, on the first watch, the off-the-wall style was too much for me, but it grows on me more every time I see it. I’d say Terry Gilliam is my favorite director (even though he hasn’t been represented very well on this list). His body of work, new and old, is full of stuff that I enjoy, but this feels like the style he was born to direct.

Most of these I have wanted to see, but I've only seen Haxan, which is a good horror. Good job with the list, I enjoyed it.

Honorable Mentions:

Wendigo
This film doesn’t have too good of a rep, but I still love it. Admittedly, it comes across as pretentious, and it’s not very well written, but the atmosphere seems so Kubrick-esque. I think Larry Fessenden has the potential to strike gold if he stumbled upon the right script. For now, this is the closest he’s come.

Used Cars

The Mascot
1930’s stop motion. At this point, Wladyslaw Starewicz had already been doing it for decades, and the detailed, expressive animations are just as impressive today.
(it’s less than 30 minutes long).

El dia de la bestia

The Ugly Swans
The third film from Konstantin Lopushansky that I’ve seen, and the third getting a mention in this thread. As with the other two, the Tarkovsky influence is apparent (Lopushansky actually worked with Tarkovsky on Stalker). This one is sourced from the same authors that wrote Stalker.

The Third Man

The Club of the Laid Off
Another Jiri Barta short. This one mostly filmed with stop motion animation on shabby old mannequins that come to life.

Time Bandits

Pitch Black
I love the dialogue, scenery, and plot, but Riddick’s character development is what carries this movie. On that ground, ‘Chronicles’ didn’t even come close.

Neighbors
My favorite Buster Keaton short, mainly for the ‘fly swatter’ scene (one of the funniest in all of cinema).

Mr. Brooks
Maybe it’s just me, but I think this has an unusually dreamlike atmosphere, especially for a cop/serial killer flick. A pretty slick and darkly humorous thriller with a surprisingly good performance from Kevin Costner.

Hugo
Beautiful homage to the beginning of cinema that indulges itself on charm. Ali G has come so far.

This is Spinal Tap

The Time of Their Lives
A charming Abbott and Costello flick that hardly ever sees the duo on screen together for a change. Arguably their best.

The Boxer’s Omen
It’s no surprise that this has faded into obscurity. For a largely effects driven film, the effects are some of the most laughably bad I’ve seen, and some of the uber-trippy sequences make Jodorowsky seem tame. But, I can confidently say that I haven’t seen many like this one. As bad as it is, it’s very entertaining.

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

+ rep for The Third Man and This Is Spinal Tap, which is the greatest comedy of all time. Pitch Black is watchable, especially as it stars Radha Mitchell and I was a little surprised to like Mr. Brooks.