October Challenge

Tools    

^ In regards to Proteus mentioned above, a more recent film with similarities to The Thing is The Last Winter, I thought it was quite good for a smaller flick.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Fog (Rupert Wainwright, 2005)

I've never been a fan of John Carpenter's original film, and this one gets a ridiculously low rating at IMDb, but it's still just an average supernatural thriller which isn't all that different from Carpenter's. We've got CGI here and the composition of the shots isn't as good, but a weak plot and fair acting only carries you so far, no matter who directs. There are still some spooky scenes, especially for those who don't know the plot, but even though I rate it the same, I'd say if you need to watch one, watch the original.

Dead of Night (Cavalcanti, Charles Crichton, Basil Dearden, Robert Hamer, 1945)
Classic Rating

The original horror anthology film still delivers the goods, with sparkling acting, a taut script and a large house in the country providing a perfect setting for chills and thrills, which are masterfully held off until the striking ending. The framing story of the architect dreaming about coming to the house and knowing almost everything which will happen is a great way to pin all the subsequent stories which range from the humorous (the golfing ghost) to the incredibly eerie (the ventriloquist and his dummy). If you haven't seen this, you owe it to yourself to remedy that and see where many classic horror scenarios come from. Michael Redgrave gives an awesome performance as the ventriloquist.

House on Haunted Hill (William Castle, 1958)

I've probably seen this movie 50 times, mostly before I was 20. This was on TV constantly, so I have a soft spot for it, but like most Castle movies, it only delivers a modest amount of chills. There are also a few intentional laughs and some acting (Elisha Cook, Jr.) so serious that you have to laugh. Vincent Price stars and seems to be the ringmaster, orchestrating a party he claims his wife wants. It's a special party though because anybody who survives the night gets $10,000. Oh, by the way, there are supposed to be seven ghosts in the house, so a lot of strange things do occur during the night, some explainable and some not. Being a William Castle flick, the gimmick this time was "Emergo" where a skeleton would fly out from the screen on a wire over the audience's heads. Rumors have it that some people came back to rewatch the film just to throw things at the poor skeleton, but that just meant that Castle got more profits for his efforts. I'm not really thrilled with the remake.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
As Good As Dead (Jonathan Mossek, 2010)

Some might call this a thriller instead of horror, but it's one of the sickest, most-violent films around. Think of the torture scene in Reservoir Dogs going on for over an hour. It's about a photojournalist (Cary Elwes) accused of murdering a fundamentalist religious leader. A couple of violent psychos capture him and torture him into getting him to confess. This is all done in his own apartment, so naturally they end up threatening his friends and family too. Frank Whaley is a convincing psycho, but the film is ultimately a case of overkill. What might be suspenseful for a little while can get boring stretched out for over an hour. Andie MacDowell turns up in the last half as the leader's widow and there is a twist ending, but it all adds up to mediocrity.

Slaughtered Vomit Dolls was my movie last night... Wow...

October 11

Horror of Dracula

Who can recommend more Hammer?

October 12

Cat People

You're right Tyler, this is a beautifully shot film. Pretty eerie for a 40s horror too.

Your wish and all that.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...t=hammer+films

BTW, which Hammer film did you watch? The pic's not showing for me.

I'd also recommend Cat People for those who haven't seen it.

Day 11: The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)

Another that I’ve regretfully put off for too long. Entertaining all the way through; I have no gripes. For an early Polanski film, I wasn’t expecting it to be as over-the-top as it was. Very pleasantly surprised.
Day 12: Tucker and Dale Vs. Evil (2010)

I was trying to get through this challenge without any rewatches, but with friends over, I couldn’t resist this. Cleary lifts stuff from The Evil Dead movies, but it’s still original in its own right. If this doesn’t reach cult status in a couple of decades, I will do something very humiliating…
Day 13: Curse of the Werewolf (1961)

Starts off interesting, then takes a while to get back on track. Fantastic ending though, with some of the best make-up I’ve seen in a 60’s horror flick, successfully utilizing the classic horror trick of only showing glimpses until the end.
Day 14: The Cabin in the Woods (2011)

I don’t think I have anything special to add that hasn’t been covered in pretty much every other review of the film. The ads were actually pretty accurate. If you like the sound of an original, mindbending, horror, parody, yadda yadda yadda… you’ll probably enjoy this. The less known about the plot, the better.

Curse of the Werewolf was pretty good, but behind Dracula, I think the best hammer film is Quatermass and the Pit.

Well this is my favorite pairing so far

October 13

Cabin in the Woods

Still on third viewing my favorite of the year. I think I'm getting more out of it than many.

October 14

Hausu

First time the lady saw this, not with me, she hated it. Two years later and many japanese films later, she really enjoyed this.

Prince of Darkness (John Carpenter) - Showed early promise with hints of a cosmic evil and scientific/religious authorities being poorly equipped to deal... Also a bunch of egghead physicists vs. super-zombies in an abandoned city church. But it feels like the shell of an idea rather than a complete movie script. Problem 1) the plot throws around a lot of c-movie science (OMG differential equations and cliched sententious QM references) that doesn't pay off other than vaguely explaining how (but not why) some home videos are being beamed from the future into peoples' dreams. 2) The effects and gore don't show a tenth of the imagination or cinematic muscle of The Thing so the tension resides only in the aforementioned chin-stroking explanations. 3) I wish that somehow our group of genius scientists came up with better weapons and tools than a board with a nail in it in their several hours of movie-world-time that they were sitting around waiting. Think Dustin Hoffman's character in the original Straw Dogs. 4) A minor complaint, but the 2000-year-long Catholic Church cover-up feels too pat.

Paranormal Activity (2007) - Didn't sustain the promised minimalist realism. My two main problems: Why don't they ever turn on the lights when the demon's attacking? It might not have saved them but all my instincts during a couple major scenes say "turn on the light." The other one is Micah. He's dumber and flakier than Johnny Depp in Nightmare on Elm Street, not good in a movie that relies on just two characters and a minimalist self-referential presentation to convey all its effects. From what I've seen part 2 looks a little better.

Lifeforce (Tobe Hooper) - At least somewhat of a ridiculous, coked-up camp classic. The main interest for me was the relationship between the lone astronaut and the nude space vampire he obsessively pursues through multiple bodies, but that didn't save it from pure cheese. There are a couple truly bizarre moments of unapologetic sleaze humor, though. "Despite appearances, this women is a masochist. An extreme masochist. She wants me to force the name out of her. If you don't want to watch, leave now."

Vampire's Kiss - This movie was not at all what I was expecting and that's okay. The plot is so ridiculous: secretary can't find file, Nicolas Cage torments her while thinking he's becoming a vampire. The acting is equally ridiculous: I think Cage was trying to out-Stanley Kowalski Marlon Brando, and the performance is basically a study in how to mistake hysteria for coiled intensity. I thought it was pretty entertaining.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Blair Witch Project - Day 7

The scariest film of the 90's? Who knows, but certainly one with the best marketing campaign. There are people to this day, who still think these events happened. My favourite story about this film came from a teacher of mine. He was getting high with a friend when a colleague of his came in with a VHS tape, no markings what so ever and said they have to watch this tape. They had never heard of the film because this was before it was released (he works in film) and they watched it and it scared the **** out of them. I wish I had a story like that.

Instead my story is that I watched this when I was young, was upset that it was all done like a home movie and ended up only liking the ending. Granted I was 12 years old or so. Watching it now, I appreciate it more, respect it more and even like it more. Compared to a film like Paranormal Activity, Blair Witch goes for subtlety and it works.

.....not the scariest though.

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The Thaw - Day 8

Simply watched this because I am a Val Kilmer fan, maybe the only one on this board to the point of watching his direct to dvd work. The Thaw takes place in the arctic when a research group discovers a woolly mammoth. When they let it "THAW", they are taken over by prehistoric parasites. They need to quarantine themselves or risk letting lose those deadly creatures.

Kilmer is hardly in the film, which seems to be his gig now in his films of late and the suspense is almost non-existant. The film has a "global warming" message hidden underneath the horror layer. The film feels like a third rate version of a much better isolation film The Thing. Laughable characters and decisions, a trying attempt at gore and a sad "horror" film.

At least it is better than most direct to dvd horror films.

Too bad Deadite because I AM STILL ROLLIN HERE

October 15

Wishmaster

Always liked this one just for funsies. Has anyone else seen it? Underrated schlock if there ever was such a thing.

October 16

The Mist

One of the only films I think improves on the novel - even Stephen King agrees - and it's also one of my favorite sociological films. Despite evidence from the movie, I met someone once who hated this movie. We aren't friends anymore.

Wishmaster
Always liked this one just for funsies. Has anyone else seen it? Underrated schlock if there ever was such a thing.
Yes. I haven't seen it in a while, but it was one of my favorites when I was younger.

Day 15: The Boxer’s Omen (1983)

An insane lost gem. The effects are hilariously cheap and gooey, and much of the film is made up of random surreal events that somehow find a way of intermingling with the main plot. Like a Jodorowsky film, with the camp factor through the roof. Awesome schlock for those that have the taste for it.
Day 16: Nightbreed (1990)

Oh, the untapped potential comedy to be had in the silly creature designs, Danny Elfman’s score, and David Cronenberg’s ‘acting.’ In all horrorness, this is one of most horrorishly horrific horror films ever made. Easy cult film too; cheesy, weird and twisted fun. I wish Mr. Barker would try his hand at filmmaking once more.
Day 17: May (2002)

One awkward situation after another. I wouldn't have been nearly as impressed with this if it weren't for the promising direction (though I was unsatisfied with the conclusion). It’s funny at times, but doesn't lose the power to disturb.
Day 18: A Chinese Ghost Story (1987)

A special effects showcase more than anything. That’s not really a complaint though, considering how imaginative the effects are, and the cinematography is gorgeous. The action scenes (fun as they are) do tend to get a little too hectic though (I lost track of what was going on more than once amid the flurries of rapid movement, quick cuts, and flashing lights).
Day 19: House (1986)

Loved this. Funny Evil Dead-esque monster effects, and some good scares. It’s not a masterpiece, or wildly innovative, but it succeeds at what it’s doing for the most part. This seems destined to go in my mental rewatch depository. Pretty underrated.
Day 20: The Mask of Fu Manchu (1932)

Not much worth noting apart from Karloff’s performance, which is one of his better ones, and the occasional detail in the set and costume design. Personality-wise, Fu Manchu is pretty much the same evil madman that Karloff has effectively portrayed in many other movies, but the mad science aspect does make him a little more interesting.