October Challenge

Tools    

It's a tradition on the IMDB horror boards. Watch at least one horror film a day for all of October (or just 31 in total, not taking the daily rule into account).

I'm giving it a shot and posting my results here. Anyone else?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'll join you. I've done it multiple times before.

Suspect's Reviews

Funny how I just finished watching The Seventh Victim (1943).

This marks the final well-known Val Lewton RKO picture I've seen. It's more satisfying than Isle of the Dead or The Leopard Man. The premise is simple: a girl searching for her sister gets caught up with a mysterious satanic cult. Sounds scary? This "satanic" organisation feels pretty tame compared to contemporary expectations. There's a brilliant scene with the sister being pursued in the streets by a mysterious stranger and the black & white cinematography for that sequence alone is worthy of 5 stars. The ending is marvellous, contrasting bleakness and false optimism.

My rating -

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Yeah, I'll give this a go. I've been meaning to expand my horizons when it comes to the horror genre, and this'll definitely help.

I'll get down. A few on my list will be Halloween 1, 2, and 3. Monster Squad, Poltergeist, Teen Wolf, Ghostbusters, Scream, Trick R Treat, Grindhouse, Nightmare on Elm St 1, 3. They will have all the Stephen King adaptations including Cronenberg's Dead Zone this year on AMC if you have cable. They will be showing all the Friday the 13th movies on AMC as well. They also will be showing a ton of older films on TCM.

I would like to do this, but October is going to be a busy/stressful month in the Palsy household so I don't think I can get through 31 movies. I'll try to watch at least some good horror though.

In Australia there is a October challenge...intily different however, you go off acholol for a month....well, I'll lose..

First challenge review, something special: The legendary italian horror epic The Beyond (AKA Seven Doors of Death). Directed by Lucio Fulci, TB is a muddled (to say the least) yet unsettling and visually rich tale of the supernatural. It has an extremely devoted cult following and for good reason: As wildly uneven as it is, at no point during watching it was I bored. Sometimes I snickered at it, yes, but often enough I was caught by surprise and silenced by how well it worked. The film is ethereal and eerie, and I found myself at times admiring its elegant and striking shot compositions. The music too is uneven, occasionally great, sometimes jarring, but overall it truly adds to the distinctive feel of the film. Inept as it can be, TB still offers a fairly unique horror experience. The acting is barely adequate, the plot is nonsense, yet I will watch this film again. It has a strange power all its own, and is compelling in its ambition and artistry. 8/10

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I suppose we are posting them all in here?

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning - DAY 1

I caught this on tv, so I decided to use it since my day started off crappy, might as well end it crappy too.

Between this and the remake with Biel, I will pick the remake nine times out of ten. Here we have someone trying to give sympathy to a monster, we don't need this. The biggest problem is the film just turns a horror icon into a mess. What once was a scary as hell character, leatherface, is now nothing more than just a misunderstood boy.

It's unintentionally funny, it follows the horror formula, terrible acting, a pathetic attempt at trying to disturb people and a crappy script. All this mixed together gives us this pile of garbage. It's a short one too, running about 84 some odd minutes.

Had my day gone by better, I would have chosen a different flick, but I just I got stuck with this turd.

Hmm... from what I remember of the movie, I liked The Beginning more than the remake.

October 1, 12:00 AM

Paranormal Activity 3

Well this was disappointing. I enjoyed the demon trolling around of course but the end didn't fit the mythology at all.
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
What is up with those cultists? It took away from an isolated experience. And why would the grandma sacrifice her daughter? What happened to the significance of the first born son?
That damn child is still creepy though, a case for birth control if I'd ever seen one.

October 1, 11:00 PM

Fear(s) of the Dark

Episodic, French, black-and-white animation horror. Weird, Kafka, primal. Basically not predictable because it deals with very primal perceptions of what fear really is. They're almost fairy tale-like in their execution, especially since each director of each short has a different writing and animation style. Not really scary either, just dark, creepy, and distant. Ambitious all the same, quite intriguing for any film enthusiast.

For those interested in this challenge. You might try watching Little Girl who Lives at the End of the Lane. A very young J. Foster and Martin Sheen. Sheen plays a creep. Might be more in the thriller category but I'd still call it a horror. Peeping Tom and Black Christmas have been getting great praise as being pioneers, you really never hear of Little Girl, it is new to me atleast, but it's a goodie. Cheesy music though unforuntaely. I only know of this film because of it having been on tele recently, more astute horror buffs and older members probably know it well enough though. Great dialogue with fixed staging makes it seem based on a play, but it wasn't; kinda gotta Bad Seed thing going.

This is an interesting challenge. I think I'll do it.

I gotta watch two today to account for me not starting yesterday.

Does Rosemary's Baby count as a horror flick?

If them's the rules then Waterworld is a horror film because it's so horrible.