Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - 2000

Never sat down and watched this after all these years. Bruce Lee kick I am in got me intrigued to finally do it. I really enjoyed the flick.
I got to see it on the big screen with my family and it was a great theater movie.

I recognized Zhang Ziyi from Rush Hour 2...was off the heels of this movie...I remember them making a big deal about her when the movie came out. Seems like she has had a really good career in China and dabbling in Hollywood
She's really good in The House of Flying Daggers, another action/martial arts film.

I also liked her (and the whole cast) in 2046, which is a Wong Kar-wai film following multiple characters (and one piece of it takes place in a science fiction novel).

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill! (1965)

5/5

No matter how many times I see this film, I feel the urge to get beaten up by buxom women. Pure camp. The tragically ludicrous. The ludicrously tragic. (As John Waters so put it onThe Simpsons.) And genius, no doubt genius—and a joy to watch.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Uncanny (Matthew Leutwyler, 2015)
+
Oddly lacking

Amazon Women on the Moon (1987)

Is this one of the wackiest films ever produced? Did I watch this movie for a cheap laugh? We may never know the answers to these questions... You be the judge, here on this station!

7/10
Great choice of movie for something completely different. I love the opening scene with Arsenio Hall and Don 'No Soul' Simmons has me in stitches.

Kansas City Confidential (1952)

A heist noir with a really solid cast (even though it feels odd to see Lee Van Cleef with hair). Nice plot with a reasonable twist. The writing and characters are quite noir, but visually it's lacking the proper style. Also, the romance is rather poorly written. Quite enjoyable still.

Trog (1970)

2.5/5

Wow... what a way to go Joan Crawford... talk about ending your career on one of the lowest notes possible. In some sense I did enjoy this film, (which is why is scored any points with me), again I'm a huge cult/camp fan... the first half brought me home, but then it dragged on, and on... and on. And what started out as cheesy-schtick that was palatable just turned into one big yawn. Not for me.

Wow! Every now and then you come across something that's like nothing you've seen before. A lady, who looks very similar to Brit Ekland, is treated pretty harshly (that's an understatement), following her marriage to a farmer because they couldn't afford a marriage tax imposed by an evil warlord. She wants revenge and reluctantly sells her body and soul to Satan. Sex and drugs seem to be the MO. I mean, it was made in the '70's after all. This movie is an experience. The story is there and it's good but it's way more style and I really enjoyed the style. It's kind of like watching a moving watercolor painting mixed with some pencil drawings taken with a hit of acid. There are some scenes that remind me of the animation in Pink Floyd's The Wall, especially the flower dance, with a little taste of Rob Zombies animation thrown in at times. It throws a lot against the wall visually and most of it sticks. Wouldn't recommend this to many people, it gets pretty explicit, but it's very unique. I would definitely watch it again and could see it hitting a four popcorn box.

Wow! Every now and then you come across something that's like nothing you've seen before. A lady, who looks very similar to Brit Ekland, is treated pretty harshly (that's an understatement), following her marriage to a farmer because they couldn't afford a marriage tax imposed by an evil warlord. She wants revenge and reluctantly sells her body and soul to Satan. Sex and drugs seem to be the MO. I mean, it was made in the '70's after all. This movie is an experience. The story is there and it's good but it's way more style and I really enjoyed the style. It's kind of like watching a moving watercolor painting mixed with some pencil drawings taken with a hit of acid. There are some scenes that remind me of the animation in Pink Floyd's The Wall, especially the flower dance, with a little taste of Rob Zombies animation thrown in at times. It throws a lot against the wall visually and most of it sticks. Wouldn't recommend this to many people, it gets pretty explicit, but it's very unique. I would definitely watch it again and could see it hitting a four popcorn box.
Your reviews keep putting animated films on my watchlist at an unprecedented rate

Portrait of a Lady on Fire

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Da 5 Bloods -

First great movie of 2020.
Too long and overly cinematically-referential [what else is new for Spike?] but still important and entertaining.

Welcome to the human race...
Too long and overly cinematically-referential [what else is new for Spike?] but still important and entertaining.
As long as it is, I'm not exactly sure what scenes could afford to be cut in order to get it down to a more digestible length either.

Heavy Metal Parking Lot -

Metal up its own ass

The Guest
(2014)
3.5/5

Oh how I love Dan Stevens and he's a bad ass in this film!

I love The Innocents. There's a gender-swapped, Spanish version called Otra Vuelta de Tuerca (ie Turn of the Screw, the title of the original novel) that's been on my radar for a while.

I love The Innocents. There's a gender-swapped, Spanish version called Otra Vuelta de Tuerca (ie Turn of the Screw, the title of the original novel) that's been on my radar for a while.
Have you seen Presence of Mind? It's a Spanish-American co-production of Turn of the Screw. I thought it was pretty decent and comparable even to The Innocents (which I agree, I didn't really love).

Have you seen Presence of Mind? It's a Spanish-American co-production of Turn of the Screw. I thought it was pretty decent and comparable even to The Innocents (which I agree, I didn't really love).
I haven't, and I hadn't heard of it. It's been added to my watchlist, thanks!

Sonatine (1993)

2nd watch. Takeshi Kitano playing a part that is familiar but makes it his own. Loved the depth of his acting (and characterisation). The story is beguiling too. Suppose I like his HGAF attitude in this so much. The light with the dark.