Daniel M's Top 100 - 2014

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen Sunrise, but the others are great. I'm surprised Eraserhead is so low, considering what a big Lynch fan you are.

Sunrise is the only one I haven't seen from that set. Eraserhead has grown on me lately, but I don't consider it one of Lynch's best. I've seen better from Kurosawa and Bunuel as well. Maltese Falcon didn't impress me so I don't remember much from it.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Sunrise is the best Murnau. Everybody should watch it!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Haven't seen Rashomon or Sunrise yet, but both have been watchlisted for a while now.
So you've not seen the only two films in that set worth watching?

Theoretically, Scream feels out of place compared to all these films. Practically, I've never seen it, so I can't say.
Wha? All the crap you watch for hours on end and you've not seen the greatness that is Scream? What's wrong with you man?!?!?!

Rashomon is, by far, the best of that set, IMO.

Let the night air cool you off
Yeah, Minio, get out of your comfort zone and try Scream. You might not like it, but I think it's good/unique enough for you to at least give it a shot.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Maybe I will sound like a smug, but there's very little people who get outside their comfort zone as much as I do. In terms of movies, of course.

For me it means watching Hollywood stuff with a lot of dialogue. I love some of it. Like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Because arthouse obscurities are inside my comfort zone, apparently. WTF. It's upside down for me.

Anyways, maybe I will watch it.

Sunrise is very good. I think Rashomon and Eraserhead are maybe the weakest by their directors but I still like them. I'm a fan of Bunuel but haven't seen that one yet but it's been something I've wanted to watch for ages.

I really didn't like The Maltese Falcon. I'm generally not a big fan of noir and there were many parts of it that really annoyed me. I'll watch it again one day though

Let the night air cool you off
Maybe I will sound like a smug, but there's very little people who get outside their comfort zone as much as I do. In terms of movies, of course.

For me it means watching Hollywood stuff with a lot of dialogue. I love some of it. Like Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Because arthouse obscurities are inside my comfort zone, apparently. WTF. It's upside down for me.

Anyways, maybe I will watch it.
I wasn't being totally serious, but I do want to hear what you have to say of Scream.

Seen everything from that last set except for Sunrise, and all get a from me.

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans is right up there with Greed as being the best silent film I've seen. Beautiful, phenomenal, powerful, heart-wrenching film.

Rashomon was my introduction to Kurosawa. Unfortunately, that introduction came in a world literature class after reading the works that the movie is based on. Because of the less than ideal viewing experience, it's my least favorite from the director, but I imagine that would change after a re-watch.

Bogart + Noir = The stuff dreams that are made of.

It's a little surprising to me to see Un Chien Andalou ranked on a favorites list alongside feature-length films. That would be like ranking a short story on a list of favorite books. Regardless, though, Un Chien Andalou is an important work of art and one of the most bizarre things I've seen.

I don't think Eraserhead is Lynch's best film, but it's definitely my favorite and the one that I re-watch the most often. I'm hoping it will sneak into the top twenty of the 70's Countdown.

One of the finest Westerns ever made, Eastwood stars as both an actor and director as he takes the genre and challenges its conventions in a visceral and human way. Famous for starring in fairy tale type tales as a cool character who singlehandedly saves the day, here Eastwood abandons all the gloss and coolness in favour of a more grounded and real tale, with true human consequences, killing a man is not pretty.There are fantastic supporting performances from Morgan Freeman, Jaimz Woolvett, Gene Hackman and Ed Harris, each bringing a different dimension to the film. Hackman could easily have been painted a straight up villain, but here we see a man who uses violent as a deterrent to keep peace in his town as he tries to settle down, building his own home. Lines are blurred, and by the end you are not sure whose right or whose wrong, but what should know is that you have just watched a great film.
Going into this film I was not quite sure what to expect, I know a lot of people on here are massive fans on modern Asian cinema, but I have not really explored it all yet. The film is very slow and methodically paced, with peculiar camera and editing choices, when it started I was not sure how much I would enjoy it, with it being quite a long film, but it kept me hooked, as if I was in a trance. There are many moments that are very challenging and under different circumstances could have resulted in self-parody, but instead they add to the fascination of it all: the dead family members appearing as weird ape like creatures, the fish sex scene, and the ending that takes a very drastic change in tone. One of the most thought provoking and interesting films I have ever seen, and I see it as a great example of how I have branched out in terms of exploring cinema.
Another short film that I would perhaps consider a masterpiece (of shorts), a perfect example of how images can be used to convoy a powerful message. Composed of almost entirely still images, it is a fascinating experiment that shows how there are many different ways of creating a 'film'. Despite its simplicity in terms of production, the story is very interesting and complex, I would consider it one of the most interesting science fiction films. I have always been interested in time travel, and the theory in which this film follows works perfectly for me. There are two extremely powerful moments that stand out, the ending, and another magical moment that people should watch and find out for themselves.
Stanley Kubrick is often criticised for being a cold and distant director, something which I have never agreed with and a statement that is surely completely disproved with one this film, one of the most human and touching war films of all time. Considering its one of his first ever films, Kubrick shows maturity and confidence in his own directing well beyond his age, you can already tell you are watching a master behind the camera, and there is probably nothing in this film that could really be improved. A great commentary on the hypocrisy of the war and the challenges soldiers face, with one of the most heart wrenching endings ever filmed.
If you look at the image and you think it looks interesting, go ahead and watch the film. Its one of a kind in its tone, encapsulated perfectly by its title character, an oddball man who goes on one of the strangest journeys ever filmed with his prostitute friend and an old man. It is well known that Ian Curtis from Joy Division watched this before committing suicide, and without trying to sound disrespectful or attempt to make any specific comments towards his life, I could see why someone would pick this film to do so, or include it as a favourite. It seems deeply personal and relateable, as if it is laughing at the oddities of life, it has its ups and downs, it makes you want to smile sometimes, cry at others, its extremely touching with its many unique and over the top scenes that still somehow feel real and relateable. I am disappointed this probably won't make the seventies list now, and really wish more people would watch it. It is a film that I want to watch many more times in the future, and one that could hopefully move very high up the list in the future.

Good stuff, I haven't seen Boonme but I have most of Weerasethakul's movies downloaded and ready to watch. Bluedeed told me I need to start with his other movies before I get to Boonme, and while I imagine you can watch Boonme without seeing his other work just fine (obviously you can, if you put it in your top 100), I'm going to listen to bluedeed here just to be safe.

I like Unforgiven but don't love it... I need to give it another go, but it's probably my least favorite Eastwood western. The other three (that I've seen) are great. Especially Stroszeck! Just recently watched that. Very nearly a masterpiece. Going to be high on my own top 100, for sure.

Love La Jetee and really appreciate Paths of Glory. I've wanted to see Stroszek and Uncle Boonme for a while now.

Not heard of a couple of those, let alone seen them. I do like Unforgiven, though.
All the movies are quite different, but I think you'd enjoy Paths of Glory the most. I'd recommend watching La Jatée as it's on youtube and only half an hour in length. Uncle Boonmee is by far the most radical and non-traditional there, I don't think you'd like it.

Good stuff, I haven't seen Boonme but I have most of Weerasethakul's movies downloaded and ready to watch. Bluedeed told me I need to start with his other movies before I get to Boonme, and while I imagine you can watch Boonme without seeing his other work just fine (obviously you can, if you put it in your top 100), I'm going to listen to bluedeed here just to be safe.

I like Unforgiven but don't love it... I need to give it another go, but it's probably my least favorite Eastwood western. The other three (that I've seen) are great. Especially Stroszeck! Just recently watched that. Very nearly a masterpiece. Going to be high on my own top 100, for sure.
Yeah, I need to get to his other stuff and a whole lot of other modern Asian cinema, I know Bluedeed and TokeZa massively like such films, and when it comes to world cinema, you can't go wrong with their recommendations.

Love La Jetee and really appreciate Paths of Glory. I've wanted to see Stroszek and Uncle Boonme for a while now.
Nice, both those films are pretty weird in their own unique ways, so I'd be delighted if you enjoyed at least one of them

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Yeah, I need to get to his other stuff and a whole lot of other modern Asian cinema, I know Bluedeed and TokeZa massively like such films, and when it comes to world cinema, you can't go wrong with their recommendations.
Right, I am never wrong!

I think Uncle Boonmee is the most accessible of Apichatpong's films, but not his best. Syndromes and a Century is a more cohesive film stylistically. I have not seen Mekong Hotel though.