Superman

→ in
Tools    

An hour may have passed for you, but I was turning the Earth backwards!

I like the original film a lot - I still think it's very well done, especially the pastoral scenes of the middle act.

Over time I've developed some issues with the plot - particularly the time travel... all Superman had to do was go back a couple more hours (what for him might have been a couple more seconds flying faster than the speed of light) and he could have prevented all the damage he had to correct. He could have gone back just far enough to stop Luther from launching the bombs, but he only went back far enough to save Lois.
After having a rewatch yesterday, it bogs how easily superman lost his powers when he saw kryptonite at luther s hideout, like he can t even get the neckless out of his neck , like seriously..??

"How tall is King Kong ?"
I think it was a terrible mistake to make Superman circle backwards relatively to Earth's spin. It gives the impression that his momentum kinda brings the Earth backwards, like making a whirlpool around a buoy, and that the Earth spinning east-to-west is what pulls time back. It's absurd, but it's how the scene is often read (including by me as a child).

Having Superman turn around the Earth west-to-east, along its spin, until the Earth starts going backwards, would have lifted that ambiguity.

Welcome to the human race...
After having a rewatch yesterday, it bogs how easily superman lost his powers when he saw kryptonite at luther s hideout, like he can t even get the neckless out of his neck , like seriously..??
...it's Kryptonite. What do you expect?

...it's Kryptonite. What do you expect?
Yeah but i mean how the scenario is made, it could be like, for example in superman returns where he s stabbed by a kryptonite instead of making him look very weak by lex luther just putting the neckless around his neck and leaving..that s what meant but maybe im nitpicking

It was always my understanding that it wasn't the Earth that went back in time but rather just Superman himself.
This.

Even as a child I knew enough about physics and astronomy to realize the scene wasn't meant to be taken as Supes was reversing the spin of the Earth - which would destroy most life & geography on the planet in the upheaval. Rather, he was operating under Einsteinian theoretical principles - by flying fast enough (faster than light) he was travelling back in time. To him and us it may have looked like the Earth was spinning backwards, but that was just a visual perception of time moving in reverse.

Now onto some real nitpicking... the casting of Margo Kidder. As a kid I loved her as Lois. She was a great actress, but even then I had a hard time understanding what Supes saw in her. I won't say they didn't have chemistry, but she just didn't seem like a "catch" for a young, extremely handsome guy who could do just about anything. In real life she was only 4 years older than Chris, but the age difference seemed a bit visible especially as the films proceeded.

What's a bit disturbing is how most of the cast is now dead.

This.

Even as a child I knew enough about physics and astronomy to realize the scene wasn't meant to be taken as Supes was reversing the spin of the Earth - which would destroy most life & geography on the planet in the upheaval. Rather, he was operating under Einsteinian theoretical principles - by flying fast enough (faster than light) he was travelling back in time. To him and us it may have looked like the Earth was spinning backwards, but that was just a visual perception of time moving in reverse.

Now onto some real nitpicking... the casting of Margo Kidder. As a kid I loved her as Lois. She was a great actress, but even then I had a hard time understanding what Supes saw in her. I won't say they didn't have chemistry, but she just didn't seem like a "catch" for a young, extremely handsome guy who could do just about anything. In real life she was only 4 years older than Chris, but the age difference seemed a bit visible especially as the films proceeded.

What's a bit disturbing is how most of the cast is now dead.
Superman 2 to me, surpasses the original film somewhat, what do u think?