The Hobbit

Tools    

A little blurb from EW.com last week...

While interviewing writer-director Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) about his upcoming summer sequel Hellboy II: The Golden Army, EW.com chatted him up about his involvement with The Hobbit. While no deal has been set —"We're still in these protracted negotiations," Del Toro says — the fantasy fiend did offer a few promising hints.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: So where do things stand with you directing The Hobbit?
GUILLERMO DEL TORO: There have been a lot of discussions of cast and crew, agreements on the direction the movies would go, and if and when I come on board. But other than that, frankly it's all immaterial until everything is signed and put on paper.

Is the folding of New Line Cinema into Warner Bros. holding things up?

I think it played a role for a few days; being dramatic, I would say a couple of weeks. But the fact is [the movie is] a huge endeavor. It's about a half-a-decade of commitment. It's two movies back-to-back that are massive. So a lot has to be sorted out. All I can say is, creatively we are all in sync and eager to commit and move forward.

Does it look like it's getting any closer?
It does, it does. It's a little bit of a tango, a couple of steps forward, a couple of steps back. But at the very least, I have the illusion of movement. [Laughs]
Do you think it will all be resolved by, say, the summer?
I would hope so. I would be overjoyed if it's sooner that that. If it happened, we would definitely make public the [production] calendar.
Is one of the elements of the negotiation your involvement with the script?
Oh, no no no. That is pretty much sorted out. I will be involved, and so will the original team in some capacity. There's no discussion about that. It's more the planning of it, the calendar, but nothing as major as that.

And by the original team, you mean Lord of the Rings screenwriters Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens — you would be working with them?
I cannot comment on specifics, but yes.

I hope this gets under way, and soon. I've been waiting for something like this to happen ever since I fell in love with the entire story itself. It almost angered me to sit and think that the entire cinematic journey was gong to be wrapped and put away for good, now this gives hope that the whole thing could be brought up again. I'm hoping that Peter Jackson gets signed up for the deal and with the original crew, along with the members coming back from the first cast (Ian Mckellen, Ian Holm, etc.), it would be the first must see on my to-watch list.

He's called Tequila. He's a tough cop.
The Hobbit is the best adventure book ever written, I love it so much. I would be bouncing in my seat during the previews before the movie then probably break out in oohs and aahs at the beginning like I did with LOTR except even more, hehe.

Can't wait till they're done with it!

Ask me a question, any question: Grill a MoFo: Dill-Man

I think Tim Burton should direct and write The Hobbit.
I think he has a visual flaire.
If not him, then McG, so they could have some cool action scenes!

Oh...he was OK in the Usual Suspects, I didn't know he was a director.
James cameron did T2, a f**kin' epic masterpiece, he could re-work the story and make it really action-packed!

Sorry, I just realized that this is a different forum than where I started up a thread on The Hobbit already. I thought most of this info was already known.

Jackson has already stated that he won't be directing these two new installments (I hope he changes his mind) and Guillermo Del Toro and Sam Raimi are said to be the 2 main contenders for director of the 2 upcoming flicks. However, now that New Line and Warner Bros. are merging though that could very well change.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
in short... DEL TORO TO OFFICIALLY DIRECT THE HOBBIT

Guillermo del Toro has officially signed on to direct the New Line/MGM's The Hobbit and its sequel, reports Variety.

The widely expected announcement came Thursday afternoon jointly from executive producers Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh, New Line president Toby Emmerich, and Mary Parent, newly named chief of MGM's Worldwide Motion Picture Group.

Del Toro's moving to New Zealand for the next four years to work with Jackson and his Wingnut and Weta production teams. He'll direct the two films back to back, with the sequel dealing with the 60-year period between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, the first of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

New Line is overseeing development and will manage production. Both films are being co-produced and co-financed by New Line Cinema and MGM, with Warner Bros. distributing domestically and MGM handling international.

Del Toro won't leave for New Zealand immediately as he's still in post-production on Universal's "Hellboy II," due out in July.

The official signing of Del Toro comes four months after New Line settled a lawsuit with Jackson over "The Lord of the Rings" and announced that it had agreed with MGM to turn J.R.R. Tolkien's "Hobbit" into two live-action films.

The studios didn't give a start date on production and don't yet have a script. Though no screenplay deal's been set, it's expected that the LOTR scripting team of Jackson, Walsh and Philippa Boyens will collaborate with Del Toro.

With Del Toro blocking out four years for the project, it's likely that the studios are aiming at starting shooting next year and releasing the films in late 2011 and 2012.

Jackson's WETA stages, post-production and visual effects facilities -- built for "The Lord of the Rings" -- will be used for both films. And New Zealand will again be the site of Middle-earth, with the story centering on Bilbo Baggins taking the Ring of Power from Gollum.
Source

Lost in never never land
I'm excited for that news. I think that Del Toro should be able to tell the story in an interesting way, and with Del Toro you know it is going to be very good visually.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

Yeah Gnat I agree, although I would have been happy with Raimi too. But yeah this is good to finally put to bed and now begins the waiting again. Man, it may be 4 years before the first installment comes out. I hope I'm still here by then...

i think this will be surefire hit! Great director, legendary story, and already so much hype for a movie with pretty much no details except the director

-Hattori Hanzo