The Hobbit

Tools    

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Courtsnz
but I wonder who they'll cast as Bilbo, could they actually use Ian Holm?
Yeah, I hope they won't have to recast certain characters (because of actors backing out or declining to participate, yadda...). Off the top of my head, Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis would be must-returns.

This does raise some interesting questions about casting, though. Who will play Thorin? Who will play Beorn? Who will voice Smaug? And so on...

Hmm...

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Yeah, I hope they won't have to recast certain characters (because of actors backing out or declining to participate, yadda...). Off the top of my head, Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, Hugo Weaving, and Andy Serkis would be must-returns.

This does raise some interesting questions about casting, though. Who will play Thorin? Who will play Beorn? Who will voice Smaug? And so on...

Hmm...
While I'm sure they can find plenty of good evilish voices for Smaug...I'd like to hear something along the lines gruff deep evil with a hint of british coldness. Take that where you will...

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
While I'm sure they can find plenty of good evilish voices for Smaug...I'd like to hear something along the lines gruff deep evil with a hint of british coldness.
Agreed. I always thought Max Von Sydow had a great voice for Smaug, and he's still around. Too bad Sean Connery's already voiced a dragon, or he'd be nice (if a bit recognizable). John Noble would have been great, but alas...he's already contributed. Paul Freeman has a great English voice as well (although most people know him for playing a Frenchman), and he's still very much around.

EDIT: Christopher Plummer just popped into my head. He'd be an awesome Smaug!

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Sleezy
Agreed. I always thought Max Von Sydow had a great voice for Smaug, and he's still around. Too bad Sean Connery's already voiced a dragon, or he'd be nice (if a bit recognizable). John Noble would have been great, but alas...he's already contributed. Paul Freeman has a great English voice as well (although most people know him for playing a Frenchman), and he's still very much around.

EDIT: Christopher Plummer just popped into my head. He'd be an awesome Smaug!
You are SO right! Either Max or Chris would be perfect!

Also, welcome to the forum!

The Strongest Girl Alive
I hope they get great John-Rhyes-Davies-style dwarves, y'know great actors like John who have great comedic timing and act just like dwarves.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Courtsnz
I hope they get great John-Rhyes-Davies-style dwarves, y'know great actors like John who have great comedic timing and act just like dwarves.
Yeah, I think there is a rather noticeable different between The Hobbit dwarves and...well, the one or two dwarves in Lord of the Rings (I'm talking about the books now). In the films, Gimli started off as a pretty faithful representation of the character in the book, but (for comic relief that Merry and Pippen could not provide), they transplanted much of the bumbling, pugnacious behavior of the Hobbit dwarves (particularly Thorin) into Gimli, perhaps as a kind of ode to the material.

I don't think John Rhys-Davies should play Thorin Oakenshield, but it might be nice to see him in a cameo as one of the lesser dwarves (Balin, perhaps?). I do think a great deal of Thorin's portrayal should mirror Rhys-Davies' Gimli, however, since there were some obvious connections. Whoever plays him should be excellent, though, since no character yet has been ill-casted (to me, at least).

In the Beginning...
Peter Jackson to produce `The Hobbit'

Originally Posted by Yahoo!News

NEW YORK - Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema have reached agreement to make J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," a planned prequel to the blockbuster trilogy "The Lord of the Rings."

Jackson, who directed the "Rings" trilogy, will serve as executive producer for "The Hobbit." A director for the prequel films has yet to be named.

Relations between Jackson and New Line had soured after "Rings," despite a collective worldwide box office gross of nearly $3 billion — an enormous success. The two sides nevertheless were able to reconcile, with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios (MGM) splitting "The Hobbit" 50/50, spokemen for both studios said Tuesday.

"I'm very pleased that we've been able to put our differences behind us, so that we may begin a new chapter with our old friends at New Line," Jackson said in a statement. "We are delighted to continue our journey through Middle Earth."

Two "Hobbit" films are scheduled to be shot simultaneously, similar to how the three "Lord of the Rings" films were made. Production is set to begin in 2009 with a released planned for 2010, with the sequel scheduled for a 2011 release.

New Line Cinema is owned by Time Warner. Sony and Comcast are among the owners of MGM.

I'll take it! Even though he's not directing, I'm perfectly confident it'll be up to snuff with Jackson producing.

My only real worry at this point is casting; by most accounts, McKellan wants to come back, though I recall him saying something about how he wouldn't unless Jackson was directing, though I would guess that this would be good enough.

Not sure who's playing Bilbo. Ian Holm, digitally youngified? Someone new entirely?

Seeing who gets the nod as the voice of Smaug should be quite interesting, too, though they'll be toying with the audio anyway, I'd imagine, so it might not be terribly important.

No word yet, I imagine, on whether or not Andy Serkis will be providing the mo-cap for spider #12.

In the Beginning...
Not sure who's playing Bilbo. Ian Holm, digitally youngified? Someone new entirely?
Yeah, perhaps they could make use of whatever Ratner's people did to make Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart look twenty years younger in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Anything to keep Ian Holm in the cast.

Yeah, perhaps they could make use of whatever Ratner's people did to make Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart look twenty years younger in X-Men: The Last Stand.

Anything to keep Ian Holm in the cast.
Seems plausible. At the same time, though, that effect was just a little too noticable. It was good, to be sure, but I think it needed more polish. And it'd need a lot more polish if it were going to be used over an entire film -- let alone two, in this case.

'Course, it's not as if WETA Digital hasn't knocked our socks off before. So we'll see.

There's going to be a lot of pressure on everybody for this to be as successful as the LOTR trilogy (a nigh impossible feat) so what scant action there was in "The Hobbit" will be elongated and stretched out more than Reed Richards penis in the anniversary issues. Sorry, I was being all reserved and serious so I felt that a super-hero genatalia reference was both neccessary and a moral imperative!

Still looking forward to it though, most certainly hoping to get that twelfth Oscar this time round just to show Leo DeCaffe and his British crumpet that their watery romance in no way equals
THE BATTLE OF HELM'S DEEP!

Frickin Oscars never read my letters mrfsmrassmfrm..........Scorsese gotfrmrsssddmrd . . . . . . . .Clint Eastwood "art" my ass . . .

In the Beginning...
I think the key to making The Hobbit work is keeping it light. The book was intended for kids. It doesn't need to be nearly as emotionally heavy as the trilogy for that reason alone, besides the fact that there's just nothing as gravely important at stake anyway. As long as they keep it whimsical and adventurous, it should soar...one last fun little romp through Middle-Earth.

I think it wouldn't be as great as three movies because this where they all start!!! Anyway I still want to know the greatest adventure of Bilbo Baggins and the complete story on how he obtain the Ring!!

all I know is I'm looking forward to the completed film and hope that they do some of the other Tolkien mythology. I waited forever for the LOTR trilogy to come out and I was happy with the result. I know the Hobbit will be great and I'm looking forward to more in the genre. Look how long it's taken to do another Indy movie...it's just a matter of time. btw........anyone think they'll ever do a prequel Jedi/Sith movie.

Really looking forward to the hobbitt, the trilogy was fantastic, great sound and fantastic scencs.

Movie Forums Critic
wow another great hobbit film, it is like the adventures of ewoks....can't wait to see this

I am excited to see this film. Peter Jackson is the man!

yeah right.. fantastic.. waiting for one

Thats a good news for all LOTR fan...and I'm one of them....yehey!!!