If You Were "DJ For a Day" In Your Area?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
It's just fantasy, but if you could pick a local radio station, and they allowed you to be the DJ for 24 hours, what would you play? Your favorite songs? Songs YOU want to hear, or songs you want thousands of people to hear? Deep tracks only? Remember, if you start playing "way out" foreign stuff, there's a chance half your listener-ship would tune out (which is another conversation we can have depending on our area)... You don't have to be awake DJing it up for 24 hours, you have the option to have your list playing, or you can select songs live as you feel (and then if you want to sleep you can give your very temporary assistant a list to play while you sleep, eat, etc).

Maybe specific songs you would pick? Maybe play a certain album? Let's say it's a no-commercial day, would you talk in between songs (or hire someone to say what you want being said regarding a song, band, etc)? Would you take requests?

I would definitely play the long songs that never get played on FM radio. I'd play a few foreign songs, not too many, and try to put them in between the more commercial songs out of my list. I'd go by feel, and take calls for possible ideas and "Oh yeah - I should play that!" I would definitely want to listen to ideas, but I don't think I'd play songs simply because they requested them. I'd probably play them instantly if I was going to play them anyway. I wouldn't play a repeat, but I'd be interested in those who would and why.

I'll just list some... Assume copyright isn't an issue, so you can play a live version, demo, studio, etc.

This is pretty fun, noticing a strategy with how I sequence.
Assuming I start "now"

Pink Floyd - Time
The Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Paul McCartney - Old Siam, Sir
The Doors - L.A. Woman
Illusion - Madonna Blue
Supertramp - Breakfast in America
Supertramp - Words Unspoken (hoping one commercial song will familiarize them to keep listening)
Eagles - One of These Nights
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (entire album in one go)
Bob Marley - High Tide or Low Tide
Van Halen - Runnin' With the Devil/Ain't Talkin Bout Love
Curved Air - Dance of Love
The Doors - When the Music's Over
The Carpenters - Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft
John Lennon - Out the Blue
Paul McCartney - Backwards Traveler
Curved Air - Dance of Love
Gandalf - Me About You
Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
Nino Ferrer - Ouessant
Pink Floyd - What Shall We Do Now? (live)
CCR - Ramble Tamble
The Doors - Waiting For the Sun
Franki Valli & The Four Seasons - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
CSNY - Ohio
Neil Young - Revolution Blues
Steely Dan - Kind Spirit
America - Saturn Nights
Fairuz - Al Bosta
Fleetwood Mac - The Green Manalishi
Steely Dan - The Bear
Tai Phong - Sister Jane
Pink Floyd - Dogs
Peter Green - Apostle
Led Zeppelin - Ten Years Gone
Terry Reid - Seeds of Memory (some might stick around thinking it's Zeppelin
Sandrose - To Take Him Away
John Lennon - Bless You
Nino Ferrer - L'arbe Noir
Cat Stevens - Sitting
The Who - Who Are You? (w/ "The Lost Verse")
Procul Harum - Too Much Between Us
David Bowie - Station to Station
Catherine Howe - On a Misty Morning
Fleetwood Mac - Oh Well
John Lennon - Steel and Glass
Kim Jung Mi - Towards the Sunlight
Roberta Flack - I Can See The Sun in Late December
Bill Evans - Peace Piece
Queen - Death on Two Legs
J.D. Souther - You're Only Lonely
Led Zeppelin - No Quarter (Live at NYC 1973)
Steely Dan - Don't Take Me Alive
Carol of the Harvest - Try a Little Bit
Elton John - Funeral For a Friend
City Boy - The Greatest Story Ever Told
Blood, Sweat, and Tears - You've Made Me So Very Happy
Woody Guthrie - Which Side Are You On?
Spirogyra - The Duke of Beaufoot
CCR - Effigy
Dave Brubeck - Take Five
The Beatles - Help!
Illusion - Face of Yesterday
Gordon Lightfoot - Beautiful
Eagles - King of Hollywood
Mellow Candle - Silver Song
Love - Robert Montgomery
Chicago - Til We Meet Again
Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want?
The Doors - The End

I'm not counting the time, but I don't wanna get too carried away, because I could pick songs forever... I wouldn't want fellow MOFO's members boycotting the station!

In between the songs I listed, I'd add more deep tracks, foreign music, and a couple of jazz/classical, and spread them far apart. Not sure if I would want to add a few comedy tracks - one or two short clips of Mort Sahl, Bill Hicks, and George Carlin.

I often think about this while having my daily DNKN coffee. They play such crap there & I wonder if the counter-people can choose the music or they are told what to play.

I would play classical music, but this can be off-putting to some. Then I would switch to classic rock. I don’t like any other kind of music.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Non-stop Harsh Noise

Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

I often think about this while having my daily DNKN coffee. They play such crap there & I wonder if the counter-people can choose the music or they are told what to play.

I would play classical music, but this can be off-putting to some. Then I would switch to classic rock. I don’t like any other kind of music.
I got this idea (probably) after talking to my friend who used to be a DJ of the biggest station around here. I asked him about selection and he said he couldn't play a SINGLE song on his own. He said "A monkey could have done my job", but he has a DJ voice. In fact, when I met him at, I instantly said, "You should be working at a radio station" (or something similar) and he said "I worked for 103.9" but quit because of the lack of flexibility. He said it took 25 years for the top guy to have a "Deep Track" 2-hour slot on Wednesdays.

I've read quite a bit about this, and one thing I constantly read is how people are less likely to change the dial if they're familiar with a song. Radio stations basically play the same thirty songs over and over, which is why no one I know listens to the radio. I don't, but it's all I had growing up. I would buy blank tapes when I went to my grandma's, and record certain songs.

You ready? You look ready.
I really think they should play death metal at the supermarket. Then the fear of hell I experience at the store wouldn't be as bad.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
Hair metal, punk rock, and 90's rap

he has a DJ voice.
@Yoda has a DJ voice. When I heard him in a podcast I asked him if he was in the business.

Radio stations basically play the same thirty songs over and over, which is why no one I know listens to the radio.
Definitely true of rock stations, but not true of classical music stations. I stream NEPM in the mornings only & we specifically listen to WFCR out of Western Massachusetts as Connecticut more or less abandoned classical music for news. Dumb bunnies.

Very kind of you. I've got a couple of relatives who worked in radio and I basically grew up around it (and other forms of media). Was first on the air when I was maybe...11? 12? Something like that. So yeah, media in the blood. Though I've talked to some people about this and sometimes half of the "voice" thing comes from elocution, projecting, manner of speaking, etc. There's a sort of "radio accent" that's kinda crisp and aregional that manages to reflect on the voice as a whole.

I think Yoda has a face well suited to radio

(runs and hides)

Very kind of you. I've got a couple of relatives who worked in radio and I basically grew up around it (and other forms of media). Was first on the air when I was maybe...11? 12? Something like that. So yeah, media in the blood. Though I've talked to some people about this and sometimes half of the "voice" thing comes from elocution, projecting, manner of speaking, etc. There's a sort of "radio accent" that's kinda crisp and aregional that manages to reflect on the voice as a whole.
You did mention to me that your father (I think) was in radio.

I often wonder what happens if a person wants to be on radio, but does not have an attractive voice. Everyone I listen to on radio has a really nice voice & I wonder what comes first - the voice or the desire to be on radio. Obviously one can have elocution lessons, but to have a nice voice really is a matter of luck IMO.

Speaking of radio, I should start a BANNED.
Ooooh, oooh, oooh - can I be a roadie????

You did mention to me that your father (I think) was in radio.

I often wonder what happens if a person wants to be on radio, but does not have an attractive voice. Everyone I listen to on radio has a really nice voice & I wonder what comes first - the voice or the desire to be on radio. Obviously one can have elocution lessons, but to have a nice voice really is a matter of luck IMO.
My uncle, too, for a few decades. He retired from it very recently.

Re: not having a great voice. Sometimes they just get to do it anyway. I've known a lot of people whose radio voices weren't great and if they work there a long time they kinda just end up on air anyway. Obviously for some jobs it's a non-starter (they're not gonna be reading ads or doing general intro/outro stuff much), but for just talk radio it's not necessarily a deal breaker even have a "bad" voice, like nasally.

A really nice audio setup does wonders, too. The voice being clear matters almost as much as it being inherently pleasant sounding, sometimes.

⬆️ Good points above. I actually never ever listen to talk radio & I only listen to classical music in the morning.

The guy I listen to most on WFCR used to be on CT radio, but, as I said, they eliminated classical music. He still lives in CT, but commutes to MA for his morning spot at WFCR. He has a super-pleasant voice.

Speaking of radio, I should start a BANNED.

I don't know what instruments you play, but I'd be more than happy to send you some work that you can add to.

I did this for someone else on here, but he never did anything with it